Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Prima in SC3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima in SC3

Hi! We are very excited to begin Prima next week, in week 18 of SC3. However, I have a few questions in the way it is scheduled. I'm thinking about SC1 and the phonics. I really liked how a whole week is devoted to teacher prep! There does not seem to be this with Latin. I opened the lesson plan to see what we were going to be doing and I see on day 1 "Lesson 1, page x". I really needed to read the intro, and listen to the cd first. I'm curious why it is scheduled to do the lesson before listening to the CD? Or having a few days of introduction to the student? I think reading the first few pages, even to the child would be helpful the first few days? I know I overthink things sometimes though!

Just for practical things, it might hit a mama on week 18 that maybe some prep needs to be done and there might be a "Surprise!" There is quite a bit "new" week 18. I think it might also take us 2 weeks to get through this particular week with the addition of the States and Capitals, Thankfulness Journal And LATIN. We already completed the More Storytime treasures, so we might just do a phonics review during that time, which might help.

Lastly, probably not a big deal, but in the suggested schedule, Latin is not in there at all for the 2nd semester.

In the plans it suggests making flashcards. I think having the student make them will be very helpful. However, are there flashcards with the words/sounds available?
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: Prima in SC3

Sorry for the feeling of surprise! We could have created a week of prep and might do this in the next revision. For now, you can certainly listen to the CD before teaching each lesson! For good "mama prep," you can watch a sample lesson here, if you do not yet have the DVD.

Flashcards do exist and are included in SC 4, as is the DVD. You will use these flash cards in SC 4 Prima and in SC 5 LC. It is up to you whether you would prefer to have those now or have your daughter make her own for SC 3. As for scheduling, as you know in SC 3 this is just an Intro to Prima, so you can plan on 15-20 minutes per day.

Comment

Re: Prima in SC3

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Sorry for the feeling of surprise! We could have created a week of prep and might do this in the next revision. For now, you can certainly listen to the CD before teaching each lesson! For good "mama prep," you can watch a sample lesson here, if you do not yet have the DVD.

Flashcards do exist and are included in SC 4, as is the DVD. You will use these flash cards in SC 4 Prima and in SC 5 LC. It is up to you whether you would prefer to have those now or have your daughter make her own for SC 3. As for scheduling, as you know in SC 3 this is just an Intro to Prima, so you can plan on 15-20 minutes per day.
      Ok, great! We do have the DVD already! The whole family watched for a bit! . Hubby was very excited!

After only a few minutes of unplanned Latin lesson [i was just looking for myself!) my daughter exclaimed, I like Latin, it sounds better than English!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
      X