Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New Aesop Copybook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Aesop Copybook

Requested by SC forum members, this is now available!

Aesop Copybook

You can teach alongside any copy of Aesop's Fables, including your Milo Winters version with audio CD, pictured on the same page.

Re: New Aesop Copybook

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Requested by SC forum members, this is now available!

Aesop Copybook

You can teach alongside any copy of Aesop's Fables, including your Milo Winters version with audio CD, pictured on the same page.
    This is awesome! What level(s) do you recommend this for?
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

I think you will be able to tell from the sample. Some higher vocabulary and composition skills needed.

We're thinking age/ability 9 or 10 and up, but some of our SC 3 students could use this.

We are including it in an upper level of Myself & Others (coming soon!).

Comment

Ohh. That looks really nice.

Speaking of Myself and Others, I have a question. I'm currently doing SC B with my 4 year old, so I was originally thinking of doing Myself and Others with both boys after he finishes B, but now I'm wondering about the practical aspect of doing that with a 5 and 10 year old. There's such a huge difference in maturity, ability, etc. Should I do it separately? Should I still start my 10 year old with the 1st level?
        Susan

2018-2019
        A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
        C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
        G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

It could be beneficial for your 10yo, but you would want to prep him by letting him know this is "just a review" for him, or that he will "help the 5yo by participating," or otherwise enlist his cooperation up front.

As with many things, teaching two levels separately might be ideal, given the age difference, but time might limit that option! Your call there.

If you can manage teaching two M&O levels along with your academic lessons, your older child would not need to start with the first book, but if you need to combine, he will likely benefit from the review.

Eta: I cannot remember if your 10yo is she or he, but after typing I'm leaning toward "she." Adjust pronouns as needed!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            It could be beneficial for your 10yo, but you would want to prep him by letting him know this is "just a review" for him, or that he will "help the 5yo by participating," or otherwise enlist his cooperation up front.

As with many things, teaching two levels separately might be ideal, given the age difference, but time might limit that option! Your call there.

If you can manage teaching two M&O levels along with your academic lessons, your older child would not need to start with the first book, but if you need to combine, he will likely benefit from the review.

Eta: I cannot remember if your 10yo is she or he, but after typing I'm leaning toward "she." Adjust pronouns as needed!
            Why, oh, why do you have to call me out of my blissful, perfect-world planning that goes on in my head and bring me back to reality. Ha ha ha. Maybe I should get through February and assess how are actual school days are going before adding anything else.

My 10 yo is a boy. My children are boy, girl, boy.
            Last edited by sfhargett; 01-03-2018, 05:49 PM. Reason: punctuation
            Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Boy, girl, boy. Then you can keep the "he!" ☺

I do remember some behavioral concerns, so I would target either the younger boy for prevention of worsening behavioral issues or the older boy to address behavioral/social/emotional matters prior to the teen years.

You can easily add the lower levels, as these are quick to teach, combining as indicated above. All of the levels (including Books Three and Four) can be taught as Health Studies. This is intentional, because many of our children with impulse challenges, autism spectrum, and social difficulties need explicit lessons in such things.

If you're concerned at all about manners, behavior, health habits right now, I would add at least one M&O level to the family mix, combining where needed or saving portions (e.g., upper level M&O literature) for summer supplements. Remember that you can complete an entire level in a semester.

Comment

Thanks Cheryl. You're right these are things I need to make time for. And explicit teaching of health items, yes. Necessity of deodorant, brushing teeth, needing to actually wash in the bath.

For my youngest, do I want to finish SC B before beginning M&O since it has a manners section? Or can they be done concurrently?
                Susan

2018-2019

Comment

They could be taught concurrently. Level B takes more time with practicing each "please" and "thank you" in simple ways, while M&O Book One will address additional topics related to behavior, health, & social understanding.

Comment

We have a new sample of Myself & Others Book One available now. Visual cues and hand motions introduce each topic. Instructions are included in the Teacher Notes.
                    Last edited by cherylswope; 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X