Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Afternoon school

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Afternoon school

A tip of the hat to such husbands! What a good solution.

Hoping everyone who reads or posts here will have a merry Christmas.

Comment

Hi Jen, It sounds like you got a solution that maybe will help your kids with their school schedule. I did not really see any comments about how to get the kids to do school in the afternoon. We are having that trouble, too. If the reading, phonics, spelling, math, writing, and religion (plus geography and government for the older daughter without special needs) do not get done in the morning they do not get done. I become exhausted by fighting with the kids to do work, as well, so that does not really help. We are not doing a good job of getting our science, art, music, Latin, and history in at all. I would love suggestions on how to get kids to do school past lunch, for both the daughter with special needs and the one without.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
        Hi Jen, It sounds like you got a solution that maybe will help your kids with their school schedule. I did not really see any comments about how to get the kids to do school in the afternoon. We are having that trouble, too. If the reading, phonics, spelling, math, writing, and religion (plus geography and government for the older daughter without special needs) do not get done in the morning they do not get done. I become exhausted by fighting with the kids to do work, as well, so that does not really help. We are not doing a good job of getting our science, art, music, Latin, and history in at all. I would love suggestions on how to get kids to do school past lunch, for both the daughter with special needs and the one without.
        Hi, JeJe. I'm a little late to the party but wanted to share something that sometimes worked well for us. Rather than working into the afternoons every day, we worked long days Mondays and Wednesdays. On Tuesdays & Thursdays we swam with other homeschoolers, ran errands, kept appointments, etc. On Fridays we often stopped early, because my husband came home early. Somehow it was easier for all of us to work hard on our two stay-at-home days, because we knew the next day would be shorter. For some, an unvarying M-F routine might be better, but this worked well for us.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          Hi, JeJe. I'm a little late to the party but wanted to share something that sometimes worked well for us. Rather than working into the afternoons every day, we worked long days Mondays and Wednesdays. On Tuesdays & Thursdays we swam with other homeschoolers, ran errands, kept appointments, etc. On Fridays we often stopped early, because my husband came home early. Somehow it was easier for all of us to work hard on our two stay-at-home days, because we knew the next day would be shorter. For some, an unvarying M-F routine might be better, but this worked well for us.
          Cheryl,

I’m not the OP but that’s a great idea! I’ve been pondering over how to handle the 2nd to 3rd transition and that might be one of the ideas I use.

Thanks!
          Heidi
          Heidi

2018-19
          dd- 3m
          ds- SC 1
          dd- SC B

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            This could possibly work. I will try it. I like this idea of planning a couple of days to be the short days, though. I just wish our homeschool co-op would be willing to have consistency! Today the meeting was at 11 am! We did not go, but it is tough when they switch days from Monday to Wednesday to Tuesday to Friday, etc. and switch time from 10 am to 3 pm to 1 pm, etc. If only we lived in a place with another co-op that had some regular days.
            JeJe Greer
            Mom to:
            Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
            Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

I don't have any terrific advice but my two children with special needs do most of their school in the afternoons (well the lessons/work that involve me and my support). I've had to adjust my expectations of how much/what I get done with them as it is likely a slower pace than it would be if they were my only children. My other two children tend to do most of their lessons involving me before lunch. Until recently we had someone in the home who played games and read stories and interacted some with my oldest two in the morning. We also have recreational therapist that comes in home one day a week in the morning to work with each of my children with special needs. When needed, we have done some school work on the weekends but not on regular schedule as it helps to have my husband to help me support the oldest two's needs.

When you figure something out that works well for your individual family, I hope you will share back with us as I'm always learning from others how to figure out how to best accommodate our children's needs in our unique families.

Heather

Comment

Working...
              X