Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Prima Latina/ Latina Christiana with a SC Plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiannaKennedy
    started a topic Prima Latina/ Latina Christiana with a SC Plan?

Prima Latina/ Latina Christiana with a SC Plan?

I'm posting this in the forum, as opposed to emailing Cheryl privately, just in case other mothers had the same question.

Background information:
    I have twin boys with whom we have suspected dyslexia for some time. A full psychoeducational evaluation was not financially feasible until now. (hooray for savings)

Currently, they're doing the 2nd grade core at the local Cottage School, including the 2nd grade literature selections, and Prima Latina. They're doing well, but I have a couple of thoughts.

The work will ramp up significantly next year, and I want to make sure I'm ready to help them with accomodations/adjustments.
    I checked out the SC3 sample plans, but didn't see anything for PL. I'm wondering if there are Latin helps scheduled ..... meaning multi-sensory things. (I think Cheryl calls them VATK?)

I know that SC4 is in the works, and I'm wondering if LC is covered there? Basically, what I'm planning to do is map out my plan for LC during the summer, so that I can be set up and ready to go when school starts in the fall.

Thanks for your help!

• JeSha
    replied
    Re: Prima Latina/ Latina Christiana with a SC Plan?

Cheryl,

I almost forgot I would love to see a video clip of your children singing the hymn in Latin.

Sharon
    In Texas

Leave a comment:

• JeSha
    replied

Cheryl,

While I'm no where near ready for SC4 or 5 I have to thank you for your answer to Dianna. I don't know a great deal about Classical education but your answer was reliving in that the SC
    for the grammar stage was not going to be ridged. I created a lot of games for my older children thru upper elementary into high school years ago.
    I was planning on still using games with my special needs little guy. Your answer was just fantastic. Again Thank
    You!

Sharon
    In Texas

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Yes! If you have time, I would include an after-Latin period called "Using Your Latin," or something like this. Do any of these during this time:

- Play hangman-type games with the vocabulary for the week. The winner creates his own hangman with one of the words. Allow looking at the book, so it is spelled correctly with the correct number of blanks.
    - Play "Latin to English and English to Latin" with all sayings learned to date. Rapid-fire, give a Latin saying. Players must give the English translation. Do this through all of the sayings. This will be the easier review for them. Then switch to the harder: Rapid-fire a saying in English. Players must give the Latin translation. Keep score per person, if the competition helps them. If not, keep score as Team Brothers to see how many they can answer correctly between the two of them. Between the two of them, this should be a sizable amount. Calculate the percentage, so they can see how many correct in the end. Keep a chart, if you're a chart person. Then note the progress over time.
    - Play tactile/visual games with those prepositions. Get a Lego guy. Hold him "above" the table. Ask whether the Lego guy is "supra" or "sub" the table. (supra) Then hold him under the table. "Now where?" (sub)
    - Do Derivative Brainstorming. Choose a preposition (or whatever you're working on that week) with many derivative possibilities. Have them brainstorm English derivatives. Write them all on the board. Ex: "supra" -- super, superb, superbly, supercalifragilistic.... When the well is dry, choose another. See which word of the week "wins" the game by having the most derivatives.
    - Hold Latin spelling bees with your review words.
    - etc....

A safety net:
    If you ever feel things are snowballing beyond what they can possibly retain or understand, leave open the option for them to study Prima again next year with SC 4. The word practice will help vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and so much more.

Last, this is also a good time of year to jump to Track 35 on your Prima CD! If they cannot learn the entire Christmas song before the end of Christmastide, at least teach Venite Adoremus (3x) Dominum (O come, let us adore him, Christ the Lord), so they can sing the refrain.

A side note:
    If we can remain healthy, my two will be singing the first verse of this hymn in Latin on Christmas Day in our small parish, before everyone joins in English. The organist has been working with them, and my son has been heard "warming up his voice" in his bedroom.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 12-21-2017, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    We might have SC 5 LC I plans by summer. I would not purchase the PL plans until close to summer, in case the LC I plans are ready. We can make a point of completing those first.

Congratulations on your boys. To hear they are doing well in MP 2 Prima Latina is music to my ears!

Are there any ideas that you suggest that we implement now as part of our homeschooling routine? They're close to the Unit II Review, learning prepositions.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Thanks, JeJe.

Yes, we intend to include the elements that bring Latin studies to life, yet remain true to the thorough, grammar-rich content. No sense spending lots of time in "fun" activities that fail to teach!

I taught mine from MP's Latin and would never want to use anything else. Not only is it masterfully created, but the ecclesiastical components make it edifying for all of us. With the firm foundation laid, our little class of 4 students at our local library was anything but boring!

I still miss those days, so the lesson plans for Prima, LC I, FFL, we will include all of this. Michael Simpson, MP's Latin Director, and I had a good talk about this very thing when I worked in the MP office last month! For now, let's just say that from Prima onward, your suggestions will be taken seriously!

Leave a comment:

• jejegreer
    replied

I do not want to create any more work for you, Cheryl, but I completely fail to see how Prima Latina can work for Special Needs kids. As a caveat to this, I do not have the SC3 plans because we are basically doing SC2 and SC3 together in one year by finishing First Start Reading, Simply Classical Writing, Simply Classical Spelling, and reading chapter books, including probably far too many Magic Puppy type books (but, hey, at least she is reading, and for fun!). I had a lot of trouble teaching Prima Latina to my older daughter, who is extremely good with reading, language, and writing. It just seemed too boring. I think that you could write a new Latin program for SN kids, or could help one of the current Latin program writers make one that includes songs, word-finds, pictures to color, games, etc. Song School Latin has a lot of this, but it is definitely not as thorough as Prima Latina. I think you, and someone with more time than you, but receiving your guidance, could combine the best of both worlds and create a fantastic program.

Leave a comment:

• JeSha
    replied

Thank you Cheryl.
    I'm relieved. I don't think I could tackle
    Latin without all the extras.

Sharon
    In Texas

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Yes, ma'am! Flashcards, audio CD, Student Book, Teacher Manual, PL Copybook, Lesson Plans. and DVD. I found this multi-pronged approach worked well for my kids (and for me).

Leave a comment:

• JeSha
    replied

Cheryl,

In SC 4 for PL you mention the DVD for review. Will the flashcards also be used in SC 4?

Sharon
    In Texas

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

We might have SC 5 LC I plans by summer. I would not purchase the PL plans until close to summer, in case the LC I plans are ready. We can make a point of completing those first.

Congratulations on your boys. To hear they are doing well in MP 2 Prima Latina is music to my ears!

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Hi, Dianna.
    Thanks for posting here!

SC 3, second semester, introduces PL with SC plans.

SC 4 teaches PL all year with SC plans. We vary the order a little, such as saving PL Copybook for Fridays and using the DVD as review.

SC 5 will teach LC 1.

(And VAKT is just shorthand for Visual-Auditory-Kinesthetic-Tactile "multisensory" or "multimodal" teaching.)
    So, is there something particular you'd suggest for us? Both boys are doing well with PL currently (we're in the standard MP PL plans), so we'd be on track to finish PL by the end of the year. I'm guessing that SC 5 will NOT be available this summer. If I bought the SC4 PL plans, would I be able to extrapolate those ideas into a plan for us for LC?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Hi, Dianna.
    Thanks for posting here!

SC 3, second semester, introduces PL with SC plans.

SC 4 teaches PL all year with SC plans. We vary the order a little, such as saving PL Copybook for Fridays and using the DVD as review.

SC 5 will teach LC 1.

(And VAKT is just shorthand for Visual-Auditory-Kinesthetic-Tactile "multisensory" or "multimodal" teaching.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X