Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Cheryl you have me curious about SC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheryl you have me curious about SC4

Hi Cheryl,

We're finishing up lunch so I decided to see what was new at the forums. You made the comment on a thread this morning that SC4 is going to be an intro to Mythology and Mammals study. Will the study of Mythology include D'Aularies Greek Myths?
    Also, What is the Animal Kingdom?
    is part of Mammals study for Classical core and in the SC3 Science Enrichment Set. Will the study of Mammals in SC4 be like the SC3 Science Enrichment Read Aloud with lots of books or like the Classical Core?

Sharon
    In Texas

Re: Cheryl you have me curious about SC4

Myths-
    No D'Aulaires' Greek Myths yet.

Mammals-
    It is drawn from the MP 3 Mammals set.
    (Unlike SC 3, there are no extra smaller science books. This is a more concentrated *multum, non multa* approach, as SC 4 is our first SC Grammar year in science. You will see this approach throughout SC 4.)

I hope to post a full SC 4 book list next week, if all goes well!

Comment

Thank you Cheryl

Comment

Cheryl, will SC 4 have History, like Ancients along with Mythology? I'm just curious and looking forward to seeing the booklist for SC4! Thanks, Lillian

Comment

Some ancient history is embedded in Myths. And some US history is taught with States & Capitals. All is in Enrichment, but the good news is that I think we can keep it all in the Curriculum Manual. The manual will be thick, more like SC 2, because I'm trying very hard to minimize the need for extra teaching books.

I was away again the past 4 days doing little else but polishing SC 4, so I'll hide from the forum now till Monday. The sun is shining here in Missouri, a long walk is beckoning, and my daughter has some Mom & me catching up to do. ☺

I hope to post more next week, so everyone can see! I love this level and wish I had it years ago. I hope everyone else will love it too.

Comment

Sounds great Cheryl! I can’t wait to see the list!

Comment

When Stella did D'Aulaires Greek Myths I read them all aloud. Clara absolutely loved them. As you may recall, she is the child who hates picture books and will not let me read her the enrichment materials. I would love to put her into SC4 with everything except Prima Latina (we do a different Latin program), and hope that you can find a way to work it in. Myths are so much fun! I actually had the girls act out some of the myths with stuffed animals and they both still remember them really well because of this. I would be so thrilled to put Clara back in a full curriculum instead of all of the piecing together I have been doing this year. SC1 worked so well and was as easy to implement as anything would be with a special needs child. Actually, I will probably just buy SC4 for next year even if it does not include D'Aulaires since Clara has already heard them all, but they were really fun. How about D'Aulaires Norse Myths instead?!!! :-)
              Last edited by jejegreer; 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM. Reason: error
              JeJe Greer
              Mom to:
              Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
              Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Sorry to reply twice, but I just wanted to say that States and Capitals is a great program, and I think that some fun things can easily be added to it to make it memorable for SN kids. It seems like it will be so fun when your youngest starts to do some of the things your older already did! Also, we have Mammals already because I was going to do it for science this year, and I am so glad I decided to do a different science and wait. Both girls can do it together and enjoy it a lot (I will obviously need to add to it for Stella, but that is fine).
                JeJe Greer
                Mom to:
                Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                  Myths are so much fun! I actually had the girls act out some of the myths with stuffed animals and they both still remember them really well because of this. I would be so thrilled to put Clara back in a full curriculum instead of all of the piecing together I have been doing this year. SC1 worked so well and was as easy to implement as anything would be with a special needs child.
                  Thanks for all of the suggestions, JeJe. Rest assured, we teach those fabulous Greek myths in SC 4, just not yet from D'Aulaires' book, flash cards, etc.

"Multum non multa" is the hallmark of SC 4. Stay tuned ....

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                    Sorry to reply twice, but I just wanted to say that States and Capitals is a great program, and I think that some fun things can easily be added to it to make it memorable for SN kids. It seems like it will be so fun when your youngest starts to do some of the things your older already did! Also, we have Mammals already because I was going to do it for science this year, and I am so glad I decided to do a different science and wait. Both girls can do it together and enjoy it a lot (I will obviously need to add to it for Stella, but that is fine).

JeJe ---

Do you have a list of multisensory ideas you use with S&C with your children? We're about ready to start that program with our boys, and I wanted to implement some things. I'm NOT good at coming up with those things on my own.
                    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hi, Dianna.

I'm not JeJe, but I would recommend adding this book. The idea was suggested by Colomama. Each time a state is discussed, the student adds a sticker to its corresponding geographical location. You can also play games with the flash cards in your States & Capitals set.

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                        JeJe ---

Do you have a list of multisensory ideas you use with S&C with your children? We're about ready to start that program with our boys, and I wanted to implement some things. I'm NOT good at coming up with those things on my own.

If they like drawing, maybe have them draw states in a tray of sand as they study them, marking where the capital is? They could also make their own flashcards.
                        Jennifer
                        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                        MPOA: High School Comp. II
                        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                        7M with:
                        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                        SC Level 4

DD9
                        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                        SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                          JeJe ---

I am sorry to take so long to reply. I have not been on the Forum in more than a week (WHAT!?!?!?!). Stella does not have any special needs so we used States and Capitals as written. We are using Apologia Swimming Creatures for science and it has a lot of hands on activities. We are doing it more for Stella than for Clara, but she loves making the playdoh figures and we are about to have to buy them each a goldfish so that should be fun for them. I am also not good with coming up with the multi-sensory activities, and that is why I am kicking myself for not just using SC2 or SC3 this year. We are doing SC4 as written (minus any read-aloud picture books because Clara thinks that they are for babies and will not listen to them - sometimes she is difficult in strange ways). Cheryl has such great ideas. Oh, actually I do have one idea for a multisensory thing that I did with Stella. We bought Sequence States and Capitals and Scrambled States of America and played them. The girls love it when we play games for school!
                          JeJe Greer
                          Mom to:
                          Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                          Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Working...
                          X