Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New to MP next year. Choosing between 2nd and 3rd core for dyslexic 7 year old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP next year. Choosing between 2nd and 3rd core for dyslexic 7 year old.

*reposting from main forum* A response said my 7yoDD sounds like a good candidate for SC3. Looking for input! Thank you!

Hello all,

I have four children 9, 7 (dyslexic), 5, and 20 months. We have been homeschooling for 5 years using a mix of materials and Classical Conversations. We've decided to make a change for next year and plan to do MP cores instead, which I am very excited about! I've scoured the forums and looked over the curriculum descriptions a hundred times. I'm pretty certain my 9-year-old will be ready for 4th for New Users and my 5-year-old will be ready for 1st.

I'm just not quite sure where to place my 7-year-old daughter. We've been considering this her "second grade" year. Cognitively, she's your average 7yo kid, but is dyslexic. She has been in a fantastic reading therapy program since June and has made leaps and bounds with her reading and spelling. We are in the middle of AAS1 and AAR1 at home, though she can decode level 3 readers with much effort during therapy sessions. Reading still exhausts her, but even with those level 3 readers she can answer most comprehension questions. When read to, she can answer all comprehension questions and narrate passages back well. She can copy sentences in cursive and her writing continues to improve. She just started Singapore 2A this month, and is having no trouble with place value or memorizing addition facts. She knows her skip counting songs from 5 years of exposure in CC. We also just recently began Bible Heroes. I scribe for her and she's still getting the hang of the exercises. She struggles a little with the concept, so that's one of the areas where I see she needs to grow. My question is– based on what I've stated about her abilities here what grade level core would she best succeed with beginning next August? I really want her to feel like she can succeed without it being too "young" in content.

My inclination is to start her with 2nd grade core for that sense of success, but I also think she's got the stamina and mental ability for 3rd *if* I scribe for her and she does much of the work orally. I would also do much of the reading for her out loud. The amount of writing in 3rd seems daunting knowing where she is currently. I know much can change in 8 months, but would love your thoughts! Also, would Simply Classical be a better fit for her? Thank you all!

Cayla

Re: New to MP next year. Choosing between 2nd and 3rd core for dyslexic 7 year old.

Hi again!

I'm going to answer your questions, over here.

1) You asked where you go after SC3, if that is the route you choose. The answer is, it will be different for everyone. I had thought I would do SC3 and SC4, then try 4th for new users the following year. That was my goal. I'm not sure if that will be our route now or not, but I'm not going to make any of those decisions until we complete SC3. I know that is probably not the hard and fast answer, but it really will depend on where she is at.

First, I just want to make sure I understand. You are making considerings for 2018-2019? Correct? What lesson of AAR1 are you on? We began with AAR1 last October. AAR recommends NOT doing a lesson a day, but by the end of AAR1, we were mostly able to do this and sometimes even a lesson and a half. There were occasional bumps in the road and a lesson would take longer. My daughter could already read CVC words when we started, but I wanted to get the most out of the program, so we started on lesson 1. I think we did the first 20 or so lessons in about 2 weeks. We got to lesson 24 though and I had an epiphany! I realized she was struggling with blends. We spent probably 3 weeks on lesson 24 alone! The other lessons moved along ok after that though. We completed AAR1 by Christmas and then we spend the second semester on AAR2. We did also do the SC Storytime treasures (if you are going to continue with AAR, I would recommend the SC version, over the regular track, so it isn't overkill!) mostly as scheduled in the SC2 curriculum guide. (along with Core Skills phonics 2). WE did NOT do the SC spelling book 1. Then in the summer we did AAR3. I think we actually went through that too fast. However, it worked out because we did the phonics as scheduled in SC3, which included First Start Reading, book E. This was a repeat for us, but I'm so glad we did it. It was a bit "easy", but the writing in SC3 was hard, so it was nice balance. Also, the math was hard too. The easy phonics also allowed us to read together the History readers and I treated that as part of her learning to read lessons. We each had a book and took turns reading and following along. A few of the books I read more than 50% of the book, but now, on week 15, she is reading at least 50%, with much more accuracy. Occasionally, if the word is easily decodable, but looks tricking, we pull out the AAR/AAS tiles. I do really think breaking it up like that has helped a lot.

2) your second question was about whether we were using SC3 spelling. We are, but, in conjunction with AAS. The words from SC book 2 are generally phonetic, and my daughter can spell anything phonetic. However, there are also "words to know". She has trouble with these and they are not introduced until later levels of AAS. On Monday, I "test" her on the word list. She generally gets them all correct. We do the word study, then I test her on the "words to know" (she usually gets more than 50% wrong). I also test a few from previous weeks. The lesson is done. On the next day I have her write the "words" to know she could not spell on notecards. Once in print and once in cursive. We review the phonogram cards from AAS and the blue cards we have worked through. If the words are difficult or need instruction from the AAS step, we do that. Then we are done with spelling for day 2. Day 3 she plays memory with the "words to know" cards from SC spelling book 2. Then, I do the dictation from SC spelling book 2. Day 4 I test her on the words to know. Then, she does dictation from some phrases or sentences from AAS. I repeat this on day 5. We also spell "words to know" with letter beads I got on pipe cleaners. You can also spell them in play dough, etc. We probably review the blue and phonogram cards from AAS 2-3 times a week. This is working for now. I will say that she still mis=spells words that she knows the rules for, so it isn't perfect. (ck, k, etc) If I have her go back over her words though she usually can correct her own paper if I repeat some of the rules....

If you do AAR with SC3, just alternate the days you read a story in the AAR lesson with the days you read in the story time treasures. That has been working. If you can work on just AAR over the summer, I found that helpful as well. (just 20 min a day 3-4x a week) We did that, and a math page most of the summer.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Re: New to MP next year. Choosing between 2nd and 3rd core for dyslexic 7 year old.

Originally posted by nolamama View Post
      *reposting from main forum* A response said my 7yoDD sounds like a good candidate for SC3. Looking for input! Thank you!

Hello all,

I have four children 9, 7 (dyslexic), 5, and 20 months. We have been homeschooling for 5 years using a mix of materials and Classical Conversations. We've decided to make a change for next year and plan to do MP cores instead, which I am very excited about! I've scoured the forums and looked over the curriculum descriptions a hundred times. I'm pretty certain my 9-year-old will be ready for 4th for New Users and my 5-year-old will be ready for 1st.

I'm just not quite sure where to place my 7-year-old daughter. We've been considering this her "second grade" year. Cognitively, she's your average 7yo kid, but is dyslexic. She has been in a fantastic reading therapy program since June and has made leaps and bounds with her reading and spelling. We are in the middle of AAS1 and AAR1 at home, though she can decode level 3 readers with much effort during therapy sessions. Reading still exhausts her, but even with those level 3 readers she can answer most comprehension questions. When read to, she can answer all comprehension questions and narrate passages back well. She can copy sentences in cursive and her writing continues to improve. She just started Singapore 2A this month, and is having no trouble with place value or memorizing addition facts. She knows her skip counting songs from 5 years of exposure in CC. We also just recently began Bible Heroes. I scribe for her and she's still getting the hang of the exercises. She struggles a little with the concept, so that's one of the areas where I see she needs to grow. My question is– based on what I've stated about her abilities here what grade level core would she best succeed with beginning next August? I really want her to feel like she can succeed without it being too "young" in content.

My inclination is to start her with 2nd grade core for that sense of success, but I also think she's got the stamina and mental ability for 3rd *if* I scribe for her and she does much of the work orally. I would also do much of the reading for her out loud. The amount of writing in 3rd seems daunting knowing where she is currently. I know much can change in 8 months, but would love your thoughts! Also, would Simply Classical be a better fit for her? Thank you all!

Cayla
      Hi Cayla,

It sounds like 2nd grade would be a great fit. 3rd grade is challenging. It’s actually where many kids hit the wall. So if you tried third grade, maybe go with a moderated course load. The best option would be to call Memoria Press and ask about placement options. They can certainly help you.

As far as Simply Classical goes, if you have completed SC3, you will be in prime form to enter 2nd grade in the regular curriculum track. You will also be slightly ahead once you reach 3rd grade in the area of American history. Both are potentially confidence-building for your daughter. Again, a chat with someone from Memoria will clear all this up for you. But if you were forcing me to make the decision for you, I would say 2nd grade — maybe moderated 3rd.
      Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
      Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
      Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
      The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
      ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Originally posted by nolamama View Post

Hello all,

Cayla

Welcome, Cayla!

You are doing wonderful things for your daughter! This sounds very good. I would add only some writing instruction right now, if currently you are only accommodating (scribing) rather than giving her good knowledge and practice in written expression. You can do this now with SC Writing Book One, Bible edition to be taught alongside A Child's Garden of Bible Stories, and SC Copybook Two. None of these looks childish, and the Bible story book can eventually serve as a reader for her.

Regarding progression in 8 months, these seem to be her best options:

Slow&Steady:
        1. SC 3 (American history studies elevate this in content and reading practice while firming the basics)
        2. SC 4 (Intro to mythology, mammals studies, and a strong focus on basic composition make this a great transition to MP 3)
        3. MP 3 with few, if any, modifications needed. She will even be ready for MP 3 Latin and all written components!

Because MP is advanced, this could be a very good progression for her. You would be firming the foundation for a student who is clearly bright, hardworking, and supported by a good homeschooling mother!

Faster:
        SC 3
        MP 3 with modifications
        or
        MP 2 with modifications
        MP 3 with modifications

No matter which "track" you choose, Slow-and-Steady or Faster, plan to boost her writing instruction as suggested above.
        Last edited by cherylswope; 12-15-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses! I really appreciate the advice and help. I agree, she does need some writing instruction and while we've been attempting Bible Heroes, I see how that isn't quite emphasizing those skills for her to develop. So we will work on that, and plan for SC3 next school year (2018-19). Thanks again!

Comment

Cheryl, just to clarify - for SC writing book one Bible version I would need this:

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...bible-stories/

Not this: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...e-story-bible/

Just double checking before I place my order! Thanks.

Comment

Correct!

You need A Child's Garden of Bible Stories plus SC Writing Book One.

The Story Bible is paired with SC Writing Book Two in SC 3.

Comment

Simply Classical Writing is fantastic! We just got it and my daughter wants to do it every day. My daughter does not want to do school work, so this is absolutely incredible. I highly recommend it.

We did All About Spelling 1. We have moved to Simply Classical Spelling in the last 2 weeks. It moves much, much more quickly. I think that if you are halfway through AAS1 you are in a good place to start Simply Classical Spelling. If you have completed AAS1, you are also in a good place to start Simply Classical Spelling and it will be easy at first. I have AAS2, but have not opened it since we got Simply Classical Spelling. I am not sure how to advise you better on this since we really just started the SC spelling program. I do know that SC Spelling takes significantly less time than AAS. Some days AAS has made me overwhelmed with the neediness of the teaching method, the vast amount of time pushing coins (we lost the little markers it came with) around, and the over the top amount of review which incited crying on many occasions.
                JeJe Greer
                Mom to:
                Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, writing, and Henle Latin)
                Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Thanks for the insight! We are pleased with AAS but I do agree, it does move pretty slowly. She's able to do all of it without much difficulty, so right now we're just building confidence. As her skills improve I'm looking forward to digging into some more challenging work. My older daughter is breezing through AAS2 right now and we're about to begin AAS3. I just hesitate to move to a different style of curriculum for my own teaching sanity.

Comment

Working...
                  X