Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Anxiety strategies?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anita
    replied
    Re: Anxiety strategies?!?

Originally posted by Lisainjax View Post
    No, I think weird can just run in families. lol In fact, that is one thing that they ask all the time: Does anyone else have these issues?

I have two grown kids who were tested when they were kids. My oldest was tested gifted and has a photographic memory. She learned to read at age 2 and read Charlotte's Web at age 2.5yo.

My second was tested as profoundly gifted. He finished all math from Kinder to Pre-Algebra at the age of 8. By the time he graduated, he had already taken 7 high school/college science courses and math up to Cal III.

My 15yo presents with some of the same issues that my older two did, so I just figured she'd figure things out on her own. She also tested gifted, which the psychologist was amazed by, since she also tested profoundly dyslexic. The Dr. feels that once we address her issues, that if we were to redo the test, she would also test as profoundly gifted.

I have 4 younger kids that all have their own issues. lol I think at least two might be on the spectrum. One has memory issues. Two have OCD. I think most are gifted. Oh and at least 5 out of 7 kids have anxiety. We are a hot mess over here. lol

Blessings,
    Lisa
    Four kids, one significantly delayed (ASD), one significantly delayed (ASD) but gifted in art and reading, one slightly delayed, one (we highly suspect) is gifted. My husband and I both have high IQs; husband is an Air Force Academy grad and engineer. His family has more than a significant number of high IQ engineers. My family has high IQ, pilots and teachers.

I definitely think there’s DNA component at work!

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by VAmom View Post
    Oh ladies this forum is a salve for my soul! The doubts that plague me with having more than one “weird” kid, wondering if homeschooling makes them more weird and so on can feel tremendous when you’re having a rough patch. Knowing that somebody else is walking the same road takes away some of the loneliness.

I’ve looked at melatonin before but she usually falls asleep within 15 mins of lights out. Is there another purpose for it? We have a great local health food store and I’ve seen the natural calm and the focus one. I was hesitant to buy them because I didn’t know if it would help. I’ll definitely give them a shot.

My parents are visiting this week. They have been trying hard to keep things as low key and normal as possible to maximize everyone’s enjoyment. E is still having a super rough time. So right now I’ll try anything.
    Oh yes, if she is sleeping well, I would not give the melatonin!

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied

Oh ladies this forum is a salve for my soul! The doubts that plague me with having more than one “weird” kid, wondering if homeschooling makes them more weird and so on can feel tremendous when you’re having a rough patch. Knowing that somebody else is walking the same road takes away some of the loneliness.

I’ve looked at melatonin before but she usually falls asleep within 15 mins of lights out. Is there another purpose for it? We have a great local health food store and I’ve seen the natural calm and the focus one. I was hesitant to buy them because I didn’t know if it would help. I’ll definitely give them a shot.

My parents are visiting this week. They have been trying hard to keep things as low key and normal as possible to maximize everyone’s enjoyment. E is still having a super rough time. So right now I’ll try anything.

Leave a comment:

• Miah
    replied

Definitely think that weird can run in families. My oldest had severe development delays (now resolved) and mild autism. My middle is bipolar, ADHD, ODD. My youngest moderately autistic with severe anxiety. I've read that bipolar might be more related to autism than originally thought, though, so the genes at play may all be similar.

I haven't gotten too many looks from professionals, but a lot from family members that think from a distance that I must be over-exaggerating.

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Have you received any weird looks for having to have multiple kids tested? I have 5 out of 7 that would need it. The 6th has some ADD symptoms as well but they’re very mild and not really interfering with her school work.
    No, I think weird can just run in families. lol In fact, that is one thing that they ask all the time: Does anyone else have these issues?

I have two grown kids who were tested when they were kids. My oldest was tested gifted and has a photographic memory. She learned to read at age 2 and read Charlotte's Web at age 2.5yo.

My second was tested as profoundly gifted. He finished all math from Kinder to Pre-Algebra at the age of 8. By the time he graduated, he had already taken 7 high school/college science courses and math up to Cal III.

My 15yo presents with some of the same issues that my older two did, so I just figured she'd figure things out on her own. She also tested gifted, which the psychologist was amazed by, since she also tested profoundly dyslexic. The Dr. feels that once we address her issues, that if we were to redo the test, she would also test as profoundly gifted.

I have 4 younger kids that all have their own issues. lol I think at least two might be on the spectrum. One has memory issues. Two have OCD. I think most are gifted. Oh and at least 5 out of 7 kids have anxiety. We are a hot mess over here. lol

Blessings,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

We are taking a hard look at our other kids and plan to have them tested, one a year until we have them all done. We'd do them all at once, but it's $2000 for each child. sigh.

Blessings,
    Lisa
    Have you received any weird looks for having to have multiple kids tested? I have 5 out of 7 that would need it. The 6th has some ADD symptoms as well but they’re very mild and not really interfering with her school work.

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

Originally posted by ljallen44 View Post
    I'm not Lisa, but I will add that this is the Fish Oil we use. It tastes great! We just eat it straight off a spoon, although you can mix it into something else. Tastes like key lime yogurt and we find it at the local health food store.

https://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Ultr.../dp/B007R9TSSW

-Laura

Yes! It's good stuff! We've moved on to the pills now, since she's 15, but we started with drinks and liquids. It is amazing how much it helped her. We also used Attentive Child, which comes in a chewable, but that is for those with attention issues.

Leave a comment:

• ljallen44
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Lisa -How do you get your child to take the Omega 3, in liquid form. That is fish oil, yes? (We tried, it was awful! Lol).

Heidi- We were doing melatonin for over a year and only just stopped in Jan for all 3 of my kids. (It would take my son, in particular, 2 hours to go to sleep no matter when he went to bed. He was literally doing handstands in his bed!). We bought some at Costco. (A chewable tablet, it tastes good!). I started with 1 5mg pill and broke it in 4 pieces. Each kid got 1/4 of the 5. I gradually worked down to splitting the pill in half and then the half in thirds. We still give it when we travel though. My doctor said up to 3 they could have, so he gets 2.5 when we travel. (Obviously speak with your doctor before giving this).
    I'm not Lisa, but I will add that this is the Fish Oil we use. It tastes great! We just eat it straight off a spoon, although you can mix it into something else. Tastes like key lime yogurt and we find it at the local health food store.

https://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Ultr.../dp/B007R9TSSW

-Laura

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

My dd asked us for medication. So, we took her to a developmental/educational psychologist and had all the testing done. We tested for everything, from ADHD to dyslexia, and psychological issues. Once we learned what was going on, we now have her going to a ped. psychiatrist. She goes once a month for monitoring and to have her meds adjusted. It's really helping her a lot. She has ADHD, severe developmental dyslexia, and a few other issues. With her behavioral problems, we had no idea that she had trouble reading. I'm thankful that with the supplements and the meds, she's making a lot of improvement and with her official diagnoses, she'll be able to pursue college with the appropriate helps in place.

Blessings,
    Lisa
    Lisa -How do you get your child to take the Omega 3, in liquid form. That is fish oil, yes? (We tried, it was awful! Lol).

Heidi- We were doing melatonin for over a year and only just stopped in Jan for all 3 of my kids. (It would take my son, in particular, 2 hours to go to sleep no matter when he went to bed. He was literally doing handstands in his bed!). We bought some at Costco. (A chewable tablet, it tastes good!). I started with 1 5mg pill and broke it in 4 pieces. Each kid got 1/4 of the 5. I gradually worked down to splitting the pill in half and then the half in thirds. We still give it when we travel though. My doctor said up to 3 they could have, so he gets 2.5 when we travel. (Obviously speak with your doctor before giving this).

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

We’ve tried some other diet related things but I haven’t added those supplements. I’ve read about them but haven’t tried them. I will definitely look into it again. She doesn’t like to swallow pills so I’ll have to look for some gummy versions.

You can get the Magnesium in a powder drink form. It's called Natural Calm. We also started with a powdered drink for the melatonin, too. The Omega 3 can be taken as a liquid.

I too have felt bad that I didn’t get help sooner. A doctor mentioned it when she was almost 4. At the time, I thought it was just an apprehensive stage that she was going through.

How did you make the decision to add medication? And what testing are you pursuing?
    My dd asked us for medication. So, we took her to a developmental/educational psychologist and had all the testing done. We tested for everything, from ADHD to dyslexia, and psychological issues. Once we learned what was going on, we now have her going to a ped. psychiatrist. She goes once a month for monitoring and to have her meds adjusted. It's really helping her a lot. She has ADHD, severe developmental dyslexia, and a few other issues. With her behavioral problems, we had no idea that she had trouble reading. I'm thankful that with the supplements and the meds, she's making a lot of improvement and with her official diagnoses, she'll be able to pursue college with the appropriate helps in place.

Blessings,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

No, no one has suggested anything more. She sees the developmental ped again in May. This conversation and the conversation with the psychologist will provide some more information.

Good!

Thank you for the suggestion of considering what activities are a part of her education and what is “just for fun.” Yesterday she had an outburst at children’s church and my husband and I had an opportunity to start talking about what is non-neogitable. I’m also working on a list of positive consequences instead of always taking something away. I’ve only come up with two right now (writing apology notes and chores) but it’s a start.

Agreed. That's a start.

To be honest, we haven’t started the CBT training book. My son just completed a 6 week OT intensive and finding an uninterrupted 30 mins once a week for 2-4 months felt overwhelming. Now that things are little calmer, I can add it in. I reached out to a therapy/learning center to see if it would be a good fit for us and I reread the introduction and chapter 1 last night. Their descriptions of children with anxiety seem so much less than what we have going on here.

Interesting! I am curious to hear what you think of the remaining chapters, when time permits.
    No pressure. We all understand the multi-directional pulls for your time and energy. You're doing good work. You'll have answers and strategies in place before long.

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied

No, no one has suggested anything more. She sees the developmental ped again in May. This conversation and the conversation with the psychologist will provide some more information.

Thank you for the suggestion of considering what activities are a part of her education and what is “just for fun.” Yesterday she had an outburst at children’s church and my husband and I had an opportunity to start talking about what is non-neogitable. I’m also working on a list of positive consequences instead of always taking something away. I’ve only come up with two right now (writing apology notes and chores) but it’s a start.

To be honest, we haven’t started the CBT training book. My son just completed a 6 week OT intensive and finding an uninterrupted 30 mins once a week for 2-4 months felt overwhelming. Now that things are little calmer, I can add it in. I reached out to a therapy/learning center to see if it would be a good fit for us and I reread the introduction and chapter 1 last night. Their descriptions of children with anxiety seem so much less than what we have going on here.

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied

I was wondering if you have her on any supplements/vitamins? I ask, because my 15yo dd struggles with some of the issues your dd presents with and out of desperation, because it took nearly a year to get her into a developmental psychologist for testing, we took the advice of a friend and started her on Omega 3, magnesium, and melatonin. Her behavior went from unpredictable, to stable. She was able to tell us how she was feeling and even told us that she had no idea why she did what she did. It wasn't a cure-all, but it was a true help. She still takes those vitamins, but has also added an ADHD med and one for depression/anxiety which is also helping tremendously. I feel so bad waiting as long as I did to get her help, but we really thought that she would eventually outgrow it, or mature out of it. We are taking a hard look at our other kids and plan to have them tested, one a year until we have them all done. We'd do them all at once, but it's $2000 for each child. sigh.

Blessings,
    Lisa
    We’ve tried some other diet related things but I haven’t added those supplements. I’ve read about them but haven’t tried them. I will definitely look into it again. She doesn’t like to swallow pills so I’ll have to look for some gummy versions.

I too have felt bad that I didn’t get help sooner. A doctor mentioned it when she was almost 4. At the time, I thought it was just an apprehensive stage that she was going through.

How did you make the decision to add medication? And what testing are you pursuing?

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

I was wondering if you have her on any supplements/vitamins? I ask, because my 15yo dd struggles with some of the issues your dd presents with and out of desperation, because it took nearly a year to get her into a developmental psychologist for testing, we took the advice of a friend and started her on Omega 3, magnesium, and melatonin. Her behavior went from unpredictable, to stable. She was able to tell us how she was feeling and even told us that she had no idea why she did what she did. It wasn't a cure-all, but it was a true help. She still takes those vitamins, but has also added an ADHD med and one for depression/anxiety which is also helping tremendously. I feel so bad waiting as long as I did to get her help, but we really thought that she would eventually outgrow it, or mature out of it. We are taking a hard look at our other kids and plan to have them tested, one a year until we have them all done. We'd do them all at once, but it's $2000 for each child. sigh.

Blessings,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

No apology necessary! You are at the very difficult stage of "I know something more is going on, but what??"

It is especially hard when people around you do not believe you.

Sensory, ADHD, anxiety, self-injury ... has anyone suggested an evaluation for something more (autism? other?) This seems to come and go, and as you said, does not present like ODD.

I feel for your daughter! She sounds as plagued by this as you are.

I agree that you cannot "cave" and let her have all of her normal fun activities as a reward for refusing to do work. I just wondered if some, like the speech contest at 4-H, might be considered non-negotiable and part of her education.

Jen's suggestions regarding EF strategies seemed helpful before, and you mentioned that your daughter has a tendency to be overwhelmed even when cleaning her room. How has she responded to the CBT suggestions in the anxiety resource?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X