Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Unsure about workload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPearson
    replied
    Re: Unsure about workload

Jennifer,

I know you mentioned you don't do the extra math pages as it depends on his day-to-day mood. But I cannot stress enough how invaluable those have been for my little guy. He followed the MP1 plans last year and did every. single. page in the student books and ALL the blackline master pages. And reviewed the growing stack of math fact cards every.single.day. These things just really helped with the writing of numbers (increasingly neater and smaller) AND helped with his speed in knowing answers quickly. Just an idea.

Also, I made copies of the cursive practice sheets and he practiced ad nauseum his cursive beyond what was just in the NAC cursive book. On top of this, he had a growing stack of spelling word cards that he flashed (and I quizzed) almost every single day. So by year's end, we're talking a few hundred words. That builds visual memory which (I am convinced) is why both my boys are pretty solid spellers. For some reason, we've been doing high frequency and spelling word flashcards for YEARS.

Anyway, we are continuing all these things this year with MP2. Just wanted to chime in with a few tips of things I've done.

SusanP

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

I know many moms advocate to take the first few weeks with new levels of MP slowly. I have found now, after two years, that with the SC core, Cheryl has already done this for us! So, yes at week 2 things are probably very slow right now (err, quick to get done)! I have mistakenly taken two weeks to do 1 week with the SC levels, and I wish I just would have followed them as planned! . I actually remember being slightly overwhelmed with SC2. That being said, R&S 1 has never taken us more than 20 min. Now, R&S 2.....that ramp up I was not prepared for!

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. Cursive will ramp up, phonics & spelling & reading will ramp up, as will arithmetic. This is a really good time to go back and pick up Weeks 1 & 2 of whichever SC Writing you have! Then by Week 4 or 5, when everything is a little more challenging, he will be in a good rhythm of working.

We started SC 2 slow on purpose, because there is a learning curve with all of these: cursive, SC Spelling, SC Writing.

Enjoy the ease, add in the SC Writing with the reading portions, add Extended Lit if desired, and let us know how it is going as you progress!

Okay -- this makes me feel much better! I'll be sure to start ramping up E's work as well.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Yes, that makes sense. Cursive will ramp up, phonics & spelling & reading will ramp up, as will arithmetic. This is a really good time to go back and pick up Weeks 1 & 2 of whichever SC Writing you have! Then by Week 4 or 5, when everything is a little more challenging, he will be in a good rhythm of working.

We started SC 2 slow on purpose, because there is a learning curve with all of these: cursive, SC Spelling, SC Writing.

Enjoy the ease, add in the SC Writing with the reading portions, add Extended Lit if desired, and let us know how it is going as you progress!

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Hi, Jen.

You will want to add SC Writing, whether Bible or Read-Aloud or both, asap. With either, you will have a reading portion that will take time. The readings, whether his coordinated Christian studies or his literature read-alouds, are part of his overall education. The writing is critical this year. We cover all of the basics in SC 2. Feel free to omit the color coding, if this works better for him, but he needs to be learning and practicing all of those basic composition rules in the front of your SC Writing Book One books. Those exercises, including the illustrations to visualize scenes, intentionally support his comprehension at the same time. Speaking of comprehension, are you using Calvin the Comprehension Caterpillar at the back of the SC 2 Curriculum Manual? This will expand his comprehension of the stories you read to him.

I'm wondering if you may not have the full Curriculum Manual for SC 2?

As Colomama says, even if you omit Enrichment (science, history, culture, music, and art), with the remaining phonics, spelling, writing, read-alouds, Christian studies, cursive, and arithmetic taught and reviewed in the multi-sensory ways indicated, so far no one has complained about the day being too short.

We do offer an Extended Literature set of readers for SC 2, if his reading level is strong and he needs more practice there. These are also scheduled into your Curriculum Manual.

As for your daughter, it sounds like she's ready for a little more. Feel free to nudge her in this direction. The "window" of learning to read is an exciting one! Learning to read and print is more important than her copybook right now, although the copybook will help her with Scripture memory and letter formation, if she is ready for this.

I do have the full manual...maybe it's just moving quickly because we're still in the review phase (Week 2)? The short vowels/CVC assignments are major review for him. Even his Core Skills pages only take him about 2 minutes each.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    DS 9 started SC2 a few weeks ago, but we're still in Week 2 because of life craziness and his focus issues. We're doing everything except Enrichment but it only takes about 30-45 minutes to do everything for the day. We do the listed phonics flashcards each day and I add math flashcards most days. He's ahead in cursive by a few weeks but I still have him do the cursive practice sheets to review past letters. We don't do the extra math sheets as his number writing is okay (could be more solid but it would cause some serious complaining depending on the day).

The placement is perfect for him, but I'm wondering if I should be doing more somewhere or doubling up or something? What do you all think?

While I'm at it...my DD 5 is in an awkward place with SC1/MPK. She gets overwhelmed easily so I've kept her at half pace, doing only one page a day in FSR and R&S. Some days she says she wants to do both pages so I definitely go with that, but the rest of the time I only expect one page. She's about to finish Book C (started FSR last year) and is on lesson 13 or so in Math. We haven't gotten to Copybook for weeks but I think I may need to switch her to the SC1 copybook; not sure yet. Should I be encouraging her to try more than one page a day or should I leave it be?
    Hi, Jen.

You will want to add SC Writing, whether Bible or Read-Aloud or both, asap. With either, you will have a reading portion that will take time. The readings, whether his coordinated Christian studies or his literature read-alouds, are part of his overall education. The writing is critical this year. We cover all of the basics in SC 2. Feel free to omit the color coding, if this works better for him, but he needs to be learning and practicing all of those basic composition rules in the front of your SC Writing Book One books. Those exercises, including the illustrations to visualize scenes, intentionally support his comprehension at the same time. Speaking of comprehension, are you using Calvin the Comprehension Caterpillar at the back of the SC 2 Curriculum Manual? This will expand his comprehension of the stories you read to him.

I'm wondering if you may not have the full Curriculum Manual for SC 2?

As Colomama says, even if you omit Enrichment (science, history, culture, music, and art), with the remaining phonics, spelling, writing, read-alouds, Christian studies, cursive, and arithmetic taught and reviewed in the multi-sensory ways indicated, so far no one has complained about the day being too short.

We do offer an Extended Literature set of readers for SC 2, if his reading level is strong and he needs more practice there. These are also scheduled into your Curriculum Manual.

As for your daughter, it sounds like she's ready for a little more. Feel free to nudge her in this direction. The "window" of learning to read is an exciting one! Learning to read and print is more important than her copybook right now, although the copybook will help her with Scripture memory and letter formation, if she is ready for this.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    The whole day of lessons takes 45 minutes?

Math itself should be taking 30 to 45 minutes by itself. Are you using rod and staff math or something else?

If the whole day is taking 30 to 45 minutes, I think you're missing something. Maybe it's just that you're moving so slowly with lessons because of crazy life and attention issues that you don't have a good feel for how much time a normal day is really taking?

We're using Rod & Staff 1. Today's plans called for Lessons 9, 10 and 27. Lessons 9 and 10 cover the numerals 8 and 9. He already knows those solidly so we only did lesson 27. We did flashcards for addition families 1-4, I walked him through the picture examples in the workbook for the 5 family (usually we do the flannel board for this) and we then recited the 5 family twice. He traced the 5 family facts on the page. I only had him do the first page because the second page's number patterns included the teens which haven't been covered in the SC2 review yet and he doesn't know them well. Even when we do two pages, math only takes about 15 minutes for flashcards, lessons and pages.

For Spelling we do everything assigned, same for Reading. We aren't doing SC Writing right now because the color-coding throws him for a loop.

I definitely know how long we take because I only have four hours to work with 6 children (3 at-elbow) before I have to start work each day.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

The whole day of lessons takes 45 minutes?

Math itself should be taking 30 to 45 minutes by itself. Are you using rod and staff math or something else?

If the whole day is taking 30 to 45 minutes, I think you're missing something. Maybe it's just that you're moving so slowly with lessons because of crazy life and attention issues that you don't have a good feel for how much time a normal day is really taking?

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    started a topic Unsure about workload

Unsure about workload

DS 9 started SC2 a few weeks ago, but we're still in Week 2 because of life craziness and his focus issues. We're doing everything except Enrichment but it only takes about 30-45 minutes to do everything for the day. We do the listed phonics flashcards each day and I add math flashcards most days. He's ahead in cursive by a few weeks but I still have him do the cursive practice sheets to review past letters. We don't do the extra math sheets as his number writing is okay (could be more solid but it would cause some serious complaining depending on the day).

The placement is perfect for him, but I'm wondering if I should be doing more somewhere or doubling up or something? What do you all think?

While I'm at it...my DD 5 is in an awkward place with SC1/MPK. She gets overwhelmed easily so I've kept her at half pace, doing only one page a day in FSR and R&S. Some days she says she wants to do both pages so I definitely go with that, but the rest of the time I only expect one page. She's about to finish Book C (started FSR last year) and is on lesson 13 or so in Math. We haven't gotten to Copybook for weeks but I think I may need to switch her to the SC1 copybook; not sure yet. Should I be encouraging her to try more than one page a day or should I leave it be?
Working...
X