Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Sodalitas 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sodalitas 2018

Originally posted by LillianinAl View Post
    What are the dates for this? I’d love to come!
    July 9-10, 2018!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks Michael

Comment

I hope you can come, Lillian!

Comment

Yes, Lillian! Please do ....come! ....if you can.

SusanP

Comment

Good morning!

See what you think of this. If everyone approves, we will pass this on to MP and the hard-working Sodalitas 2018 Steering Committee:

Sodalitas SC Sessions

Opening Session
            -Intro to each other (but very brief this time -- not verbal -- by a show of hands by category: littles, tweens & teens, multiple children with special needs, newbies to SC, veterans, autism, dyslexia, intellectual disability, undiagnosed/uncertain, etc.), so people can identify those with whom to connect throughout the conference AND still know they are in good company!
            -New SC Curriculum Overview booklets given to all (SC A, B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4-8)
            -Overview of "why" SC curriculum, what makes it the same/different compared to MP Classical Core
            -Intro for newcomers to SC the book & SC curriculum: What if teaching your challenged child were so straightforward, you could do it yourself more effectively than you -- or the "experts" -- ever thought possible?

-How/when/why to transition to MP from SC or from SC to MP
            -Collection of burning questions you want answered, no matter what, before you leave the conference

Remaining SC sessions to be placed by the committee in suitable order to coordinate with main sessions:
            1. Prima Latina/LC 1 demo lessons with a "live" student -- with attention to special needs (Cheryl)
            2. Nuts & Bolts Reading & Writing: How to Teach SC 1-4 Reading, Writing, & Literature with special needs (Cheryl)
            3. Nuts & Bolts Spelling: How to Teach SC 1-4 and Traditional Spelling* with special needs (Cheryl)
            4. Organized for Life -- Tweens & Teens, Executive Function, Autism, ADHD (Jen1134, Cheryl)
            5. Teaching SC Curriculum in Your Real Home -- Multisensory, Scheduling, & More (Christine)

One session: Free - attend a regular Sodalitas teaching session during this time and mingle with everyone! Note: SC attendees will also attend regular plenaries with everyone. Meals, breaks, and evening activities offer more time with friends in all tracks.

Closing SC Session
            Answers to those burning questions (Cheryl and anyone who is willing to share)

A Note about SC Leaders

We would like to rotate our SC veteran speakers in lead roles.

Last year Anita & Michelle (Colomama) led sessions. Anita led an honest, heartfelt, and encouraging session on Mama Care. Michelle (Colomama) led excellent hands-on teaching sessions and even provided templates to create your own teaching materials.

We had a situation last year in which Anita anticipated leading an entire day in my absence, but then I was able to attend both days after all. This year dates were announced early and my schedule is happily cleared. This year both ladies can relax, learn, and dive into asking their own questions, because our SC veteran session leaders will be Jennifer (Jen1134) and Christine (howiecram). Each of these SC mamas is well-equipped to lead the sessions requested this year. I will assist Jennifer with the Tweens & Teens, only because my two children have successfully (S.D.G.) traversed the adolescent-to-young-adult transition.

How does this sound? This year will be more content-driven than last year, yet each session will allow some time for relevant sharing.

If I have missed anything, let me know. I think the emotional/social support will come in conversations, during meals, over breaks, now that many of us know each other quite well, and some of you will be sharing a house filled with time to talk; however, if you want a specific session on this, speak up now!

Thanks for the good input.

+ + +

*And, yes, if you caught the big hint above, we are thrilled to announce that SC 4 will include MP's new Traditional Spelling Book One!

Remember SusanP, SusanH, Christine, Anita, Michelle ...
            At last year's Sodalitas Spelling Summit, we had not yet met Traditional Spelling!

Traditional Spelling seems so simple, but this comprehensive program includes just what we need, and it appears in the "clean," visually uncluttered format with large space for writing we so appreciate.

Everything is very orderly in Traditional Spelling with perfect review of FSR A, B, C, D, E covered in SC 1, 2, 3. For those who taught your children to read and spell with MP Phonogram Cards and Classical Phonics along with SC Reading & Spelling, everything will work together neatly in your child's mind.

For newcomers and veterans alike, all is meticulously supported by research in teaching spelling with special needs:

-easy-to-teach, visual, predictable lessons
            -systematic review of phonics, phonemes/graphemes, decoding/encoding strategies, and sight words (i.e., those previously learned in SC 1, 2, 3)
            -explicit instruction for mastery of new spelling patterns, phonemes, and sight words
            -"overlearning" built in each week for success
            -none of those dreadful "editing" exercises that expose young students to visually misspelled words!
            -carefully broken-down dictation by speech sounds, just as in SC Spelling Book Two
            -detailed practice in word study for building "word detectives" to identify phonemes in both reading and spelling
            -explicit study of prefixes, suffixes, plurals, contractions
            -multisensory, VAKT lessons, visual-auditory practice with movement activities, strategically color-coded phonemes
            -lesson pattern learned through words familiar to the student with words increasing in difficulty only after he knows the predictable learning format
            -spelling with meaning -- each lesson includes definitions, and no-fluff, age-appropriate stories teach science (salt, photosynthesis), American history (Washington, Lewis & Clark) with the spelling words!

Traditional Spelling Book One would move far too quickly for our students in SC 1, 2, or even 3, but will serve us perfectly as a comprehensive review or introductory spelling program for SC 4.

You can see a snippet here, although this only whets the appetite:
            https://vimeo.com/242264798

I am so excited about this. It is the perfect follow-up to SC Spelling Book One (SC 2) and SC Spelling Book Two (SC 3) for our SC students or any challenged child. I only wish I could applaud and thank Mrs. Lowe in person.

Looking forward to sharing all of this and more with everyone this summer --
            Last edited by cherylswope; 11-27-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

This looks really good, Cheryl!

I especially like the looks of the opening session -- such a good balance of camaraderie and meatiness. When you're ready, let me know your thoughts on the Tweens/Teens session. In the meantime, I'll start making written notes as we go through life here
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
              MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
              MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
              As above, plus:
              MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
              MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

I think this looks excellent! Very excited.
                Susan

2018-2019
                A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
                C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
                G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

So we might actually road trip this summer so I can attend. That said ... how does the conference on a whole work. Can I switch between MP and SC sessions? Or do you sign up for one "track" and stay within it for the whole thing? I have one with special needs, but three currently doing MP, plus a little squirt coming up in the ranks.

And Cheryl, the sessions sound great, especially the writing and spelling ones since Kate will be starting SC 1 some time next school year.
                  Brit

Catholic mom to five
                  Prospective 2019-2020:
                  Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
                  Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
                  Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
                  Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with SC C adaptations
                  Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

In past years people moved freely from one track to another. You are not alone in having children in both MP & SC.

The committee might request only that attendees choose sessions ahead of time to help with room allocation.

I think the committee plans to post a full schedule early 2018.

Comment

Thanks Cheryl!
                      Brit

Catholic mom to five
                      Prospective 2019-2020:
                      Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
                      Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
                      Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
                      Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with SC C adaptations
                      Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Cheryl,

Finally logging into the Forum today after not 'being' here in a while. THANK YOU! You never cease to amaze me with all the careful thought you put into what you plan. It sure seems like you've hit the hot topics/needs with what you've laid out here. I'm excited and hope I can come.

SusanP in VA

Comment

I am really interested in "the non-academic challenges of teaching students with special needs," as Anita put it. I am also interested in the part on tweens.

I would really like to attend. Last year we drove all the way from west of Denver, Colorado to Philadelphia, and back, to buy a puppy, so I think we could handle the drive. I would not be interested in sharing a room since I will have 2 kids and 2 golden retrievers with me. I would be really interested in knowing what you do with your kids during the conference. Stella will be 12 on July 25, so she will be almost old enough to watch Clara according to Colorado law. I have not looked into Kentucky law. I also am not sure that I would be comfortable with leaving the girls alone all day even if it is legal. What do you all do with your children? My husband's job starts at 6 am and he works until 4:30 pm or later, so he cannot watch our kids and there is no camp here that opens by 6 in the morning. Is there a day camp that they can attend (Clara is terrified to spend the night at camp so I cannot send her to sleepaway camp)? Are there other people who would want to hire a childcare attendant for kids between say 8 and 12 if there is not already an option for childcare?
                          JeJe Greer
                          Mom to:
                          Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                          Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Hello.

We do not have an option for childcare. Most people who bring their children also bring another adult who sightsees with the children during the conference. We don't have a facility on our campus for childcare or staff to handle it. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you can work something out! We'd love to have you join us!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                              Hello.

We do not have an option for childcare. Most people who bring their children also bring another adult who sightsees with the children during the conference. We don't have a facility on our campus for childcare or staff to handle it. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you can work something out! We'd love to have you join us!

Tanya
                              Hi Tanya, Thank you for replying. My husband will not be able to take the time off to go to the conference. I am hoping that maybe other Moms will want to hire a professional sitter to play with the kids during the day. I will start looking into whether or not there are any day camps in the area. Does the conference take place at 4603 Poplar Level Rd., Louisville, KY 40213? That would help me know where to look for a day camp. Thanks so much!
                              JeJe Greer
                              Mom to:
                              Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                              Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Hi, Jeje. Sodalitas takes place at HLS, Spring Meadows Campus.

Comment

Working...
                                X