Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What to do with my 4yo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What to do with my 4yo

    I was all set to start junior k with my 4 and a half year old boy, but when he say down to do it I realized he is not ready. He.doesn't know any of his letters or shapes, but he does know colors and count to ten (although he always messes up when actually trying to count objects). But when I look at the next step down that would be preschool. However, the preschool says ages 2-3! So I don't know what to do with him. I could just leave him be, but I don't think he's just going to organically learn any of this stuff, and he wants to do school. Any ideas?
    DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
    DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
    DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
    DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

    #2
    Re: What to do with my 4yo

    Bump him down to simply classical B. Then, the next year you can do Simply Classical C, retry jr. K or jump to kindergarten. Keep in mind Simply Classical B and C were combined into one year to create jr.k.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

    We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: What to do with my 4yo

      Agree with the above! I used SC-B last year with my 3 year old (turned 4 mid-year) and it was perfect! We're just getting ready to start a combo of Jr. K/SC-C in a few weeks. Plus, I'll get to do SC-B again this year with my current 3 year old.

      -Laura
      2019-2020
      DD8, MP3/SC5-6
      DD6, MP1
      DD5, MPK

      Comment


        #4
        Re: What to do with my 4yo

        Also remember anything can be "school" that you present as "school" ... moon sand, building blocks, coloring books, sorting silverware, etc. If you want to make him a little list to check off and put it on a clipboard or write it on a white board to give it an official air, that might help.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

        SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

        Comment


          #5
          Re: What to do with my 4yo

          I wanted to add that although SC-B is written as a 4-day schedule, we usually combined things and only did it as 2 days per week. This was because my schedule did not allow me to dedicate time with her 4 days a week for school.

          So, the point I wanted to make is that you could start with SC-B and work through it quicker to get that letter identification going, then since Jr. K is already scheduled as 2 days per week you might be able to work though both programs in one year if it was important to you to start K next year or if he seems to be handling that pace okay. Just something to keep in mind.

          -Laura
          2019-2020
          DD8, MP3/SC5-6
          DD6, MP1
          DD5, MPK

          Comment


            #6
            Re: What to do with my 4yo

            Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            Also remember anything can be "school" that you present as "school" ... moon sand, building blocks, coloring books, sorting silverware, etc. If you want to make him a little list to check off and put it on a clipboard or write it on a white board to give it an official air, that might help.
            I totally agree with Jessica! I bought preschool last year for my 3 year old, but it just didn't get done. My concern with buying SC - B and C is that you already purchased Jr. K. My 3 year old last year would pull sheets out of his "school book" which was a preschool comprehensive curriculum book from Sam's Club. He sorted a big box of plastic cookie cutters on the floor by shape or color and we would talk about them. I took an old coffee can and wrote letters on some extra tiles from our math manipulatives and fed them to the face I drew on the top. We would spread out bananagram letters and search for certain ones. Lots of Kumon cutting books and mazes. He also liked imaginets which are magnetic shapes and there are cards to copy the designs using pieces in the set. Personally I would be tempted to spend a few months and see how he does at some focused time working on those areas you mentioned and then try Jr k again.

            My four year old this year will just do more of the same. I did add all about reading 1 because he is ready to read, but not ready to write just yet (and I am not ready for a fourth core just yet either).

            Good luck on your decision!
            Dorinda

            For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

            Comment


              #7
              Re: What to do with my 4yo

              Originally posted by Vcoots View Post
              I was all set to start junior k with my 4 and a half year old boy, but when he say down to do it I realized he is not ready. He.doesn't know any of his letters or shapes, but he does know colors and count to ten (although he always messes up when actually trying to count objects). But when I look at the next step down that would be preschool. However, the preschool says ages 2-3! So I don't know what to do with him. I could just leave him be, but I don't think he's just going to organically learn any of this stuff, and he wants to do school. Any ideas?
              Hi, Vickie. I agree with Colomama, because we have the advantage of knowing you from Sodalitas.

              Your 4yo has some speech issues, and your other children have some learning challenges. This is why you are concerned that he will not "naturally" pick up this needed pre-academic knowledge. I might even wonder that he does not yet know his letters or shapes at 4-1/2.

              Have you administered the Readiness Assessments @ ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com? Start there and let us know where he falls.

              Speech difficulties often translate into poor phonological awareness, so purchase Phonics A to Z for the excellent helps in this area and, if the readiness assessments so indicate, begin SC B asap. We target "ear training" (i.e. phonological awareness) in Level B. This could be exactly what he needs. We also work on number sense with daily number lessons. Bonus: we work on manners which many children with speech and language issues need.

              Do not worry that he will be "behind." As Colomama wisely noted, from here he might move to MP K. Or it could be that he would do well in SC C. Even at the end of SC C, he will begin reading. So press on.

              (I knew there was a reason I photographed our big Sodalitas white board! Knowing about his speech difficulties makes a big difference in the recommendation. Our children simply cannot wait.)

              Thanks, Vickie.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: What to do with my 4yo

                Does your 4 year old have any learning issues that you know of? While I agree with Jessica and Dorinda, if your child has learning issues, this might change a few things!
                Christine

                (2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: What to do with my 4yo

                  We posted at the same time! Since I only got to come for 1 day, I didn't get to "know" all our Special Needs Sodalitas friends! *waving*
                  Christine

                  (2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                  Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: What to do with my 4yo

                    Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    We posted at the same time! Since I only got to come for 1 day, I didn't get to "know" all our Special Needs Sodalitas friends! *waving*
                    Yes, and we were thinking the same thing!

                    Vickie, take the assessments for SC A and SC B. Let us know how he scores.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: What to do with my 4yo

                      Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Also remember anything can be "school" that you present as "school" ... moon sand, building blocks, coloring books, sorting silverware, etc. If you want to make him a little list to check off and put it on a clipboard or write it on a white board to give it an official air, that might help.
                      Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                      I totally agree with Jessica! I bought preschool last year for my 3 year old, but it just didn't get done. My concern with buying SC - B and C is that you already purchased Jr. K. My 3 year old last year would pull sheets out of his "school book" which was a preschool comprehensive curriculum book from Sam's Club. He sorted a big box of plastic cookie cutters on the floor by shape or color and we would talk about them. I took an old coffee can and wrote letters on some extra tiles from our math manipulatives and fed them to the face I drew on the top. We would spread out bananagram letters and search for certain ones. Lots of Kumon cutting books and mazes. He also liked imaginets which are magnetic shapes and there are cards to copy the designs using pieces in the set. Personally I would be tempted to spend a few months and see how he does at some focused time working on those areas you mentioned and then try Jr k again.

                      My four year old this year will just do more of the same. I did add all about reading 1 because he is ready to read, but not ready to write just yet (and I am not ready for a fourth core just yet either).

                      Good luck on your decision!
                      Thank you for these suggestions! THese are the things I did with my older girls, but then life gets busier and my younger one gets "forgotten".


                      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                      Hi, Vickie. I agree with Colomama, because we have the advantage of knowing you from Sodalitas.

                      Your 4yo has some speech issues, and your other children have some learning challenges. This is why you are concerned that he will not "naturally" pick up this needed pre-academic knowledge. I might even wonder that he does not yet know his letters or shapes at 4-1/2.

                      Have you administered the Readiness Assessments @ ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com? Start there and let us know where he falls.

                      Speech difficulties often translate into poor phonological awareness, so purchase Phonics A to Z for the excellent helps in this area and, if the readiness assessments so indicate, begin SC B asap. We target "ear training" (i.e. phonological awareness) in Level B. This could be exactly what he needs. We also work on number sense with daily number lessons. Bonus: we work on manners which many children with speech and language issues need.

                      Do not worry that he will be "behind." As Colomama wisely noted, from here he might move to MP K. Or it could be that he would do well in SC C. Even at the end of SC C, he will begin reading. So press on.

                      (I knew there was a reason I photographed our big Sodalitas white board! Knowing about his speech difficulties makes a big difference in the recommendation. Our children simply cannot wait.)

                      Thanks, Vickie.
                      Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                      We posted at the same time! Since I only got to come for 1 day, I didn't get to "know" all our Special Needs Sodalitas friends! *waving*
                      Christine-I remember seeing you the second day! :-) My seven year old has dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD-inattentive, and auditory processing disorder; my six year old I believe has dyslexia and ADHD. WHether or not that means my four year old has learning difficulties, I don't know. He didn't make a sound until after he was two, but now he talks in complete sentences. The problem is we can't understand him half the time. lol. He leaves out syllables of words.

                      I went through the readiness checklist for B, and he is a yes for almost all of them (although in the language department we can't understand him). I asked him about the different shapes and apparently he did pick those up along the way because he identified all but rectangle. The ones he got a "no" on were identifying letters and numbers, singing nursery rhymes/songs, and he can't say or sing the alphabet.
                      DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
                      DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
                      DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
                      DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: What to do with my 4yo

                        Hi, Vicki. (eta: Just noticed that there is no "e" on the end of your name!)

                        It is good that he is nearly 100% on most Level B items! This gives you some flexibility.

                        Options:

                        1. You could start JrK. (He might be more ready than you thought.)

                        2. You could give him more time to play and grow while giving him slightly more structured opportunities to learn, listen to read-alouds, etc. Obtain Phonics A to Z to learn how to teach articulation and auditory discrimination yourself.

                        3. You could look at SC C. In SC C: Alphabet, Animals, and Aesop, we focus on sounds and letters. Level C is similar to JrK but possibly even more intentional in integrating letters into other activities, such as games, poems, and songs. You can omit the animal studies, if you do not have time. Just do everything else, and he will learn. By the end of the year (age 5 for him), he will even begin reading. In C, he will also have daily number lessons.

                        If you have time, take the C assessment. (Level C would be the highest we would recommend given his age and speech difficulties.)

                        If you choose to take the C assessment, feel free to report back. We want him well placed before you begin!


                        On a different topic, his speech:
                        If he has not yet received a good evaluation for speech (articulation) and language, along with hearing (acuity) and auditory processing, this might be a very good time to consider doing this for him. Speech & language would be through a pediatric speech & language therapist, while hearing & auditory processing would be through a good pediatric audiologist. You could do these evaluations no matter which of the three options you chose above.

                        If he qualifies for help with speech, or if he tests low on hearing/auditory tests, this information and subsequent assistance could prove invaluable. Such therapies can assist his ability to hear and distinguish between sounds as well as to become more intelligible in his own speech. All of this will also help him learn to read.

                        All of this is much to consider, but especially because learning difficulties can have a familial aspect, it is good that you are considering all of this now.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: What to do with my 4yo

                          Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          Hi, Vicki. (eta: Just noticed that there is no "e" on the end of your name!)

                          It is good that he is nearly 100% on most Level B items! This gives you some flexibility.

                          Options:

                          1. You could start JrK. (He might be more ready than you thought.)

                          2. You could give him more time to play and grow while giving him slightly more structured opportunities to learn, listen to read-alouds, etc. Obtain Phonics A to Z to learn how to teach articulation and auditory discrimination yourself.

                          3. You could look at SC C. In SC C: Alphabet, Animals, and Aesop, we focus on sounds and letters. Level C is similar to JrK but possibly even more intentional in integrating letters into other activities, such as games, poems, and songs. You can omit the animal studies, if you do not have time. Just do everything else, and he will learn. By the end of the year (age 5 for him), he will even begin reading. In C, he will also have daily number lessons.

                          If you have time, take the C assessment. (Level C would be the highest we would recommend given his age and speech difficulties.)

                          If you choose to take the C assessment, feel free to report back. We want him well placed before you begin!


                          On a different topic, his speech:
                          If he has not yet received a good evaluation for speech (articulation) and language, along with hearing (acuity) and auditory processing, this might be a very good time to consider doing this for him. Speech & language would be through a pediatric speech & language therapist, while hearing & auditory processing would be through a good pediatric audiologist. You could do these evaluations no matter which of the three options you chose above.

                          If he qualifies for help with speech, or if he tests low on hearing/auditory tests, this information and subsequent assistance could prove invaluable. Such therapies can assist his ability to hear and distinguish between sounds as well as to become more intelligible in his own speech. All of this will also help him learn to read.

                          All of this is much to consider, but especially because learning difficulties can have a familial aspect, it is good that you are considering all of this now.
                          As I've spent the last few days intentionally assessing his abilities, it seems he does know more than I thought. But I also realize some areas where my other kids were ahead at this age (even with dyslexia).

                          Level C readiness has these listed as no's: speaks clearly, sings songs, recognizes letters, holds pencil correctly (although he can color surprisingly well). I realized he has never learned or mimicked a single song or nursery rhyme. I've sang Rock-a-bye baby several times a night for the last two years and he can't sing it.

                          He's been to a private speech place and was evaluated as having articulation issues. He went there for six months until it got to be a financial burden and then I took a break for a year. (I realize now that wasn't wise.) so then I had him receiving speech therapy at the local public school all last school year. I don't believe he made much progress. :-( He will start again in a few weeks, but they have re-zoned our neighborhood and he will be going to a different school this school year. If I don't see improvements I wonder if I should take him back to the private therapy.

                          Also, I have Phonics A to Z, so I will definitely pull that out tonight and start reading it.

                          Thank you so much for spending so much time helping me. It's amazing how different each kid can be, even with possibly the same diagnoses!
                          DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
                          DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
                          DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
                          DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X