Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

History in SC1 & 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History in SC1 & 2?

My girls are in SC1 and SC2. I was looking over our state home school laws and two of the subjects required don't seem to be covered in these levels--history and civics. What do others do about this? Or is there something MP/SC offers that I could add?
    DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
    DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
    DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
    DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

Re: History in SC1 & 2?

Depends on the grade/age/state but our state "Civics" in kindy first grade is just knowing you live in America, the name of your state and president and the pledge, knowing the flag etc not something that needs much more than a mention or memory work...

I think I remember all that being in the recitation for the cores did the SC sets come with recitation/memory work? Check there I am sure Cheryl will chime in later!
    Winter 2020 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 10 with remediation/support
    DD - core 7 with remediation/support
    DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Great answer, MaggieAnnie.

Vcoots, yes, even though we do not have a separate "History" or "Civics" course in SC 1 & 2, you can compile sufficient data to meet your requirements.

You might begin with a list of books and descriptions, such as these below from SC 1 read-alouds. The first three books come from the Science & Enrichment read-alouds. (I quickly pulled descriptions from Amazon).

If you needed more information to round out your reporting, you can add related lessons, activities, and, as MaggieAnnie suggested, all pertinent recitations to include memorization and recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Examples for SC 1

History/Geography

Paddle to the Sea

Traveling through all the Great Lakes and eventually the St. Lawrence Seaway, readers will learn about the history, industry, geography, seasons, tides, currents, locks, inhabitants, animals and more of this fascinating region.

Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

The 15th century comes alive in this splendidly original picture book about Christopher Columbus. "The illustrations, executed in a variety of media, show scenes from the explorer's life as well as some imaginary creatures that populated the Europeans' picture of the outside world at that time.

This Is the Feast

The Pilgrims embarked on their legendary Mayflower voyage in 1620 in search of religious freedom and a better life. The settlers were unprepared for the hardships they would face at the end of their journey, but with the help of their neighbor Indians, the Pilgrims survived the first year in their new world. Then, when their fall harvest was plentiful, the Pilgrims and the Indians joined together in a three-day celebration, the first Thanksgiving.

The First Thanksgiving Day (from the Arithmetic Read-Aloud Set)
      This rollicking counting story celebrates the very first Thanksgiving Day with vibrant illustrations and lively verse. Follow the Pilgrim and Wampanoag friends as they prepare for a great feast.

...etc.

Comment

There is history and civics in the enrichment section and recitation section. I'm pretty sure you learn some states and capitals in SC 1. For me, it is enough, I add some history audio stories. I don't have to report or have required subjects though.

It may depend on how you show compliance. Do you have to do a portfolio review, etc? If you did that, you could type up a page every now and then of what you covered that falls under the history and civics umbrella. Find a printable activity/worksheet from somewhere like TPT to use as a sample.
        Susan

2019-2020
        A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
        C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
        G (6) - Simply Classical C

Comment

We don't have to keep a portfolio, and I've never had to even send anything in to anyone. We are just required to keep attendance and to have a report card in at least the required subjects, but we don't submit them to anyone. But I have been too lax and now that the kids are getting older I want to be sure and have better records--just in case. For someone reason when I read that history and civics was required I panicked and was thinking I needed a whole separate course on each subject. lol. The way you broke down the books, Cheryl, makes a lot of sense. My kids are definitely getting everything they need through the read-alouds, enrichments, and recitation work.
          DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
          DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
          DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
          DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

Comment

Working...
          X