Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement for Middle Child

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement for Middle Child

The plan was to take part in a once a week Memoria Press Co-op. Eldest was going to do some third grade level stuff and Middle was going to do Kindergarten. Mainly because the thought of teaching Middle to read terrifies me.
    But things didn't work out. Which I guess is for the best because matching at a group pace didn't really appeal to me except to hold me accountable and make sure lessons got done.

Middle is my strong willed one. He doesn't have autism but has lots of the quirks. When looking up parenting advice I've found the advice geared towards parents with kids on the spectrum to be the most helpful.

He has a July Birthday. He is 5 about to turn 6. When he was three he was evaluated and had communication skills of an 18 month old. He was accepted into the full day special education preschool at the local public school at three and a half. Had his speech been the only issue he wouldn't not have been admitted, but since his speech got in the way of documenting his developmental level (is it he doesn't know how to say what the answer is or does he just not know?) he was admitted.

He was in the preschool for a year and a half. He was four about to turn five. They were going to put him in a normal kindergarten class and stop speech. We moved that summer. While old enough in this state to start kindergarten I didn't feel he was ready. I noticed half way through the year his speech taking a dive. I looked into speech again. Insurance said talk to the state. State said he was too old for early intervention, talk to the local public school. Local public school said that since we opted of kindergarten for the year that he wasn't covered, to come back in the fall when he is either enrolled as a public schooler or is formally being homeschooled.

He is very bright. It's hard to access him as he wont preformed when asked but I've caught glimpse of just how much he knows. A few months ago I heard him counting to 100 in his room as he played with his toys. Alas he has learned he can get their quick by 10s and wont do it by ones anymore. He seems to able to do sums up to 20. Though most of the time if I ask him something like what is 12 plus 6 he goes: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12----13-----14----15--16---17---18. He seems to stop at the right number. On the rare occasion he flys by the number but either backs up or starts again.

His handwriting is awful. He learned some really bad habits at the preschool. I don't have the energy or know how to correct it. We've been working on phonemic awareness this year. very casually. Hey look a picture of a fox, what does fox start with. Hey what can you find on this page that starts with a C. What does it end with? very recently we added what the middle sound. Last week Youngest decided all the books needed to not be on the bookcase. Middle found first level of the Bob Books, and was sitting their reading out loud to himself all about Sam and Mat and Dot. I was stunned. and this is really what's making me second guess what level to put him in.

I think he could manage a normal Memoria Press Core, but when I think about him the Simply Classical really speaks to me. But what level should I order for him?

Re: Placement for Middle Child

Have you done the readiness assessments?

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...l-needs-about/

From what you said above, I would think SC 1 or possibly a quicker pace through C if he has gaps in receptive/expressive language and phonemic awareness. For a child with speech issues, I would lean towards going farther back to ensure there aren't gaps. I say this from experience with my own.

As far as speech goes, all states are required by law to evaluate and write an IEP for children (assuming they meet the qualifications) if they are requested in writing. Depending on the state, they may not be required to provide services to homeschooled students, but they are required to evaluate.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Re: Placement for Middle Child

Yes, agreeing with Susan --

Level C sounds best. You will fill in gaps in his writing, language, attention, work habit, and adapting to a routine. He will learn to hold a pencil correctly, apply himself to a task, and practice. Currently he performs academic tasks when he "wants to," but this is not resulting in steady instruction.

It is good that you can teach him yourself! SC C will help you with this. Not only that, SC C has built-in advanced science studies just for such asynchronous children. He will soak up the advanced vocabulary and information about habitats and creatures while working on his fine-motor skills in the coloring of exotic animals named by letter of the alphabet. He will also hear Aesop's fables for the first time. These are on CD. The lessons will need to sink in deeply, so he can listen over and over. All of these "extras" will challenge his unusually bright mind, yet he will be taught the other skills he needs.

After you teach through Level C, you will have a MUCH better understanding of his abilities. Teaching through SC C will also give you time to pursue a formal evaluation, perhaps privately (university clinic, children's hospital, private practice) or through the school. From here, he sounds more than merely quirky, so do not doubt your instincts that he should be assessed. You are only seeking an assessment, after all! You have not made any diagnoses. An assessment is more than reasonable for him. See what your insurance covers under "neuropsychological testing," if you do not want to push the school district further.

This child started with Level C. Read the article. Watch the video. Note the perplexed view of language and conversation, the disorientation, the distracted and befuddled looks in the "before" segments. Note the composure after Level C, in the middle of Level 1. He became a "student."

When you are able to begin SC 1, this will strengthen his reading, spelling, writing, and math skills at his age-appropriate levels, yet he will be given opportunities to explore his creative talents. In SC 2 and 3, we offer "Delve Deeply" options for those students who enjoy intellectual challenges amidst remediation. In every level, we include "Wonder, Beauty, and Imagination" enrichment with art, music, poetry, and other elements not commonly found in special education programs.

See what you think. Feel free to follow up.

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
      X