Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Next year's strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next year's strategy

Hi All,

So here I am, the "other" Susan, also needing some brain power to help me figure out next year. Here's where we are:

- We are only 2/3 into MP1. We are now kind of on a fast track through the summer to finish up by late August, early Sept.
    - My son (just turned 12) does ALL the R&S workbook and extra pages. It's all fairly easy for him EXCEPT the less/more worksheets. Those still require a lot of strategy and creative teaching. It's slowly getting better, but he's not at full mastery yet.
    - Learning all math facts and concepts except the less/more has been relatively easy and he almost never makes a mistake with anything.
    - Cursive has become quite easy. His cursive is really quite beautiful. I should post a picture. We are only T's. He does everything prescribed plus the cursive practice pages a lot. (I make lots of copies of all the letters so he continues to practice the letters he has already mastered.)
    - The spelling/phonics lessons are quite easy. I knew spelling would be easy. He's never missed a word in this year's spelling, gotten it wrong or anything. He can do the Core Skills Phonics pages easily and independently.

So when I look at MP2 vs. SC3, I'm left wondering how to make this work. I'm so sad that I can't see more of SC3 than what's linked on MP's website. And I wanted to make a trip to HEAV and MP didn't ship the SC3 to last weekend's HEAV convention. I was planning to go for the sole purpose of pouring over SC3 and MP2. UGH!

AT this point, from what I can link to and preview online I'm leaning toward this:

- R&S 2 however(SC3 vs. MP2)
    - MP2 phonics/spelling lessons
    - SC3 simply writing, linked up to the SC3 enrichment?
    - a mash up of SC3 and MP2 reading comp?

Help! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Warmly,
    SusanP

p.s. Last year, I came to Sodalitas to evaluate and figure things out. It then took me the rest of the summer to get my ducks in a row, place an order and get my supplies by end of August. I don't feel I can do that again as it threw me off beginning to pour over things that late in the game. I need to be getting my ducks in a row now in spite of still having more to finish off in our current curriculum by summer's end.

Re: Next year's strategy

Hi, Susan.

How is his reading? Has he completed FSR E? You have seen MP 2. Does he seem ready for MP reading, literature, and writing?

Given his age and apparent competence in math, cursive, and spelling, I would lean toward MP 2 as long as his reading and writing are now reasonably solid. Straight MP 2 will be easier to teach than creating your own combination of SC 3/MP 2, and he would embark on literature guides and Latin through which you will teach composition and grammar.

However, if he still struggles quite a bit with reading and written expression, SC 3 Writing & Enrichment will give him age-appropriate content (Am hist studies) while providing remediation in skills. SC 3 would also give him more practice with phonics and reading in English before beginning Latin (second sem in SC 3, first sem in MP 2).

Summary--
    I think this year hinges on his reading and writing. If they are as strong as the others you mentioned, keep pressing forward.

P.S. We would love to see his cursive!

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
      Hi All,

So here I am, the "other" Susan, also needing some brain power to help me figure out next year. Here's where we are:

- We are only 2/3 into MP1. We are now kind of on a fast track through the summer to finish up by late August, early Sept.
      - My son (just turned 12) does ALL the R&S workbook and extra pages. It's all fairly easy for him EXCEPT the less/more worksheets. Those still require a lot of strategy and creative teaching. It's slowly getting better, but he's not at full mastery yet.
      - Learning all math facts and concepts except the less/more has been relatively easy and he almost never makes a mistake with anything.
      - Cursive has become quite easy. His cursive is really quite beautiful. I should post a picture. We are only T's. He does everything prescribed plus the cursive practice pages a lot. (I make lots of copies of all the letters so he continues to practice the letters he has already mastered.)
      - The spelling/phonics lessons are quite easy. I knew spelling would be easy. He's never missed a word in this year's spelling, gotten it wrong or anything. He can do the Core Skills Phonics pages easily and independently.

So when I look at MP2 vs. SC3, I'm left wondering how to make this work. I'm so sad that I can't see more of SC3 than what's linked on MP's website. And I wanted to make a trip to HEAV and MP didn't ship the SC3 to last weekend's HEAV convention. I was planning to go for the sole purpose of pouring over SC3 and MP2. UGH!

AT this point, from what I can link to and preview online I'm leaning toward this:

- R&S 2 however(SC3 vs. MP2) The SC3 manual gives suggestions of how to pace R&S2 - it gives three options with the SC3&4 being the longest.
      - MP2 phonics/spelling lessons This may be a case of, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
      - SC3 simply writing, linked up to the SC3 enrichment? This sounds like a great idea, especially if he has done MP1, meaning he is comfortable composing sentences. Maybe add cursive from SC3?
      - a mash up of SC3 and MP2 reading comp? This seems to be the trickier part. Is he finishing More Storytime Treasures from MP 1? Then I think the only books in SC3 he won't have done are Wagon Wheels and Prairie School? I think Animal Folk Tales and the Beatrix Potter books are the MP 2 selections that are not going to be in SC4. Maybe those? Then the following year he could be ready for SC4?

Help! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Warmly,
      SusanP

p.s. Last year, I came to Sodalitas to evaluate and figure things out. It then took me the rest of the summer to get my ducks in a row, place an order and get my supplies by end of August. I don't feel I can do that again as it threw me off beginning to pour over things that late in the game. I need to be getting my ducks in a row now in spite of still having more to finish off in our current curriculum by summer's end.
      Me too! I'm sure I'll still order some leftover things at Sodalitas, but I needed to make a plan and actually get materials in my hands so I can prepare before Sodalitas. We're going on vacation right after Sodalitas, then I'll have one week at home and then start school right after that. Looking forward to seeing you again!
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Thank you, Susan and Cheryl.

Okay, so late at night after the boys are in bed I'm pouring over every thing I can link to to help guide me, and it's just not enough to make a decision. I think what would be so helpful is if MP could have a larger sample than just Week 1 of the SC3 Curriculum Guide. Other Curriculum guides have more weeks exposed as a sample. In addition, I will keep searching through the dialogues here to find past conversations about the SC3. I feel like I need to read and see something that better understands the scope and sequence.

I honestly think there's no way to do next year without crafting a combo sort of thing. I don't want to bore the kid. For example, there have been times we needed to play catch up and we whizzed through 3 weeks of the spelling/phonics lessons in three days (with the spelling pages, Classical Phonics, phoneme card study, practicing the spelling words, and assuring mastery.) We've had to, at times, do the same thing with Math. Several math lessons in a day, along with the workbook and extra pages! (Then again, he eats up the math!) So there are certain things this kid can do. Then again, he's older than almost any other MP-er doing this curriculum! The challenge is with comprehension. We are behind in the Story Time Treasures. Based on some things I'm seeing recently, I'm going to do a trial run of seeing how well he can handle trying to catch up. But his language processing challenges are definitely a significant deficit.

I like the SC3 writing book, from the limited amount I can preview. But that puts us doing SC3 enrichment, since it appears they are linked together.

Finally, to answer the question about his reading, I remember last summer at Sodalitas we agreed the MP1 was a good fit because he didn't need the instruction the SC2 was teaching with the FSR books, etc. An example of how he can read would the The Story Bible. He can fluently read it.

Thanks for brainstorming with me!

Susan

Comment

I think what would be so helpful is if MP could have a larger sample than just Week 1 of the SC3 Curriculum Guide.
          Good morning,

I have attached a sample of Week 15 from the Level 3 Curriculum Manual to this post. I hope this helps give you an idea of where the level is going.
          Attached Files
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

It sounds like you have more planned than you think! You are doing well, and he is making good progress. If you do not mind continuing with an SC/MP mix, then proceed as planned!

You mentioned his age, his stronger reading skills, and the desire not to bore him, but also his challenges with comprehension. All of this points to SC Writing, as you mentioned. You could choose SC Writing with SC Enrichment, because he might be able to read the American history read-alouds, the content would suit his age, and he would practice comprehension with every story.

You could also use SC Writing Bible, because he can read the text! This could be a GREAT year for building his comprehension, composition, and knowledge all at once. The format is the same for both writing books, so he would learn the routine quickly. Because he is older, he might be able to complete the Bible Writing independently after a quarter or semester.

However, if you prefer MP 2 Enrichment, choose only the Bible Writing from SC 3. This would be easy to teach as an add-on to (or substitute for) Christian studies.

Then you could choose MP 2 phonics/reading/spelling, or you could move to SC phonics/reading, especially for greater help with comprehension in SC More Storytime.

Based on the way you described his ability to accelerate the pace in math, it might be especially good to stay with MP 2 math, so he could progress directly to the next level of R&S the following year.

You're getting closer to having those ducks in a row! I am sorry you could not see SC 3 in Virginia. Let us know if we can help finalize decisions.

Comment

Wow! Thanks, Michael, for posting that link! Talk about instant, amazing customer service!

Cheryl, thanks for jumping in, as well, so quickly today. SO I did have a question about SC3 math. Does it complete R&S 2 over the course of the year? Or only some of R&S 2? You bring up a great point. This could mean definitely needing to stick with MP2 for math. (Although I'm well aware we could hit a road block at some point. Some concept that's hard to grasp. I keep waiting for the axe to fall as I'm just not that familiar with R&S.)

I'm actually wondering if the SC3 enrichment is more challenging than the MP2. I just looked at the Pocahontas book on Amazon. I notice it is used for Week 2 and 3. But it's a full on chapter book that I know my son could read but not comprehend well. Amazon says it's at a 4th grade level.

Since I can't see the scope of SC3's bible, does it get through all the stories in The Story Bible throughout the year? Or does it skip over some with goal of hitting the highlights in the entire Story Bible by the end of the year? (I'm so thankful to have discovered that Story Bible. It's perfect as a launch into the Golden Children's Bible down the road!)

Thanks again!
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Good morning,

I have attached a sample of Week 15 from the Level 3 Curriculum Manual to this post. I hope this helps give you an idea of where the level is going.
                If you would indulge 1 more week, week 18 begins a little bit of a transition with some additions to the curriculum from the first semester: the addition of Latin, States and Capitals and the "My Thankfulness Journal".

Susan, SC3 is perfect for older students. So perfect, I''m still a little anxious about it for my daughter (who will be 8)! There was a thread about totally eliminating the phonics portion from SC3, to streamline your teaching, if reading is a stronger skill area. If he can read the Story Bible and the American History readers, he is going to be getting a lot of composition skills and comprehension. You could still add in the Core Skills 3 for additional phonics practice and do spelling from either SC3 or MP2.

Here is the post about asynchronous kids and SC3: https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...chronous-Child
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Wow! Thanks, Michael, for posting that link! Talk about instant, amazing customer service!

Cheryl, thanks for jumping in, as well, so quickly today. SO I did have a question about SC3 math. Does it complete R&S 2 over the course of the year? Or only some of R&S 2? You bring up a great point. This could mean definitely needing to stick with MP2 for math. (Although I'm well aware we could hit a road block at some point. Some concept that's hard to grasp. I keep waiting for the axe to fall as I'm just not that familiar with R&S.)

I'm actually wondering if the SC3 enrichment is more challenging than the MP2. I just looked at the Pocahontas book on Amazon. I notice it is used for Week 2 and 3. But it's a full on chapter book that I know my son could read but not comprehend well. Amazon says it's at a 4th grade level.

Since I can't see the scope of SC3's bible, does it get through all the stories in The Story Bible throughout the year? Or does it skip over some with goal of hitting the highlights in the entire Story Bible by the end of the year? (I'm so thankful to have discovered that Story Bible. It's perfect as a launch into the Golden Children's Bible down the road!)

Thanks again!
                  Susan

The SC3 enrichment is challenging and Cheryl said they are working on a book list to correspond with the science topics. It is more teaching your child to research so definitely a higher skill than MP2. The SC3 math only covers units 1-3. There is a fabulous introduction on R&S 2 and how to possibly proceed with several options to choose from (including doing all 5 units, but then you do need to obtain the MP2 math plans). I will say, we are following the MP2 math plans and even those need a slight modification because so many pages are done in the beginning (because it is review). In skimming the lesson plans, it looks like the entire Story Bible is being read over the course of SC3!
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I've been curious about The Story Bible too. Same question, is the whole thing read over the course of the year?
                    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                      I've been curious about The Story Bible too. Same question, is the whole thing read over the course of the year?
                      Yes, it is! All 400+ish pages!!!
                      Christine

(2019/2020)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                        If he can read the Story Bible and the American History readers, he is going to be getting a lot of composition skills and comprehension. You could still add in the Core Skills 3 for additional phonics practice and do spelling from either SC3 or MP2.
                        Yes, exactly.

And yes, MP 2 covers all of R&S 2. It sounds like your son could handle this pace. There are no surprises in R&S, just steady learning for mastery. Because of his age, I would not split this into two years, as we do with SC 3 and SC 4. The only thing you might eliminate is the introductory multiplication in the later units, if he still needs to work on +/- facts. They begin multiplication in R&S 3, so you can easily wait until then. (They explain this in the Teacher's Manual.) Otherwise, I think he will do well with the MP 2 math plans except, as Christine said, possibly with the combining of those review lessons in the early weeks. But you know how to adapt.

And yes, we cover the full Story Bible in SC 3! I think SC 3 Writing American History, SC 3 Enrichment; SC 3 Writing Bible, and SC 3 Christian Studies will be perfect for him. You might also choose SC 3 Cursive, because we use the Famous Americans version. But stay with MP 2 math and MP 2 spelling.

Here is one topic we have not covered: Latin. For Latin, you could start Prima Latina with MP 2. Or you could follow the SC 3 path: working on English phonics, reading, comprehension, and composition through SC More Storytime first semester, and then receive a gentle intro to Prima second semester with a view to studying Prima Latina in full next year with the SC 4 plans.

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                          Yes, it is! All 400+ish pages!!!
                          Exactly. Many of our SC students already heard these same stories in a previous SC level, so they can handle it. Others are older and, like Susan's son, can read this themselves as a practice reader.

Even for those completely new to The Story Bible, the rendition is easy to hear, and the illustrations are captivating. It will be very good preparation for the more challenging Golden Children's Bible, which makes its appearance in SC 4.

Speaking of SC 4, back to work here....

I will check in later!

Comment

Working...
                          X