Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 2 or SC 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SC 2 or SC 3

Great advice given so far. I've been thinking about your post since last night. I agree that the best thing to focus on is what does she need RIGHT NOW? What is the right curriculum pieces right now that will provide her the right amount of challenge and accomplishment? Once you find peace with those choices, commit to doing them well and right, without trying to rush through it. When you finish each area, you'll re-evaluate what the next curriculum piece is. I've been working through this with reading as well. I'm learning that I can't predict where she'll be in September, next January or next year. I know what we need to be doing right now and we're doing it until it's done. From there we'll see where we go.

For us, with reading being the big issue, I'm hopeful that someday we'll get back on track with full cores, maybe by skipping one literature guide a year and working on reading year round. But if not, we'll just keep doing the next right step and it will take us where we're meant to be.

Also, with grade levels stressing you out, I'm curious how others handle this. For us, we did not finish Kindergarten reading level, but my daughter knows she's now in first grade, regardless of what level of material we're using. Each year of work will equal a grade, even if it's not following what grade the curriculum is assigned for. This allows the child to answer this question from family/friends/strangers with confidence and it doesn't matter what actual work we're doing it. Is this what others do as well? I won't start first grade telling her we're still in Kindergarten reading, I will just tell her this is where her first grade reading is starting.

-Laura Allen
    2019-2020
    DD8, MP3/SC5-6
    DD6, MP1
    DD5, MPK

Comment

Working...
    X