Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC3 individual lesson plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC3 individual lesson plans

If I purchased the individual lesson plans for writing, would it come with the assigned reading? So, would it tell me which pages to read aloud?

By looking at the curriculum guide, it seems the actual assigned pages are listed in the enrichment section if I were to use the read-aloud edition.

Thanks
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Re: SC3 individual lesson plans

Good question! If you do not receive a response tonight, we will try to answer tomorrow.

I know that the SC 3 Curriculum Manual was so full, some items needed to move to the Enrichment Guide. I will see if the reading schedule will be included in the Individual Lesson Plans.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Good question! If you do not receive a response tonight, we will try to answer tomorrow.

I know that the SC 3 Curriculum Manual was so full, some items needed to move to the Enrichment Guide. I will see if the reading schedule will be included in the Individual Lesson Plans.
      You will need enrichment guide for comprehension questions, but pacing in curriculum guide!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Thanks, Christine. You received the SC 3 Curriculum Guide before I did! ☺

Comment

Yes, the pacing is listed in the enrichment section of the guide it looks like. I'm looking to order the download and am concerned the pacing wouldn't be included in that individual lesson.

Or is it listed in the writing portion of the complete guide you received?

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            Yes, the pacing is listed in the enrichment section of the guide it looks like. I'm looking to order the download and am concerned the pacing wouldn't be included in that individual lesson.

Or is it listed in the writing portion of the complete guide you received?
            You do not need a lesson plan for the writing portion only! The pacing is listed under the enrichment (for the Read aloud). But, I see the problem here......because the lesson plan for writing just says do A, the B, then C, then D...which you could figure out without a lesson plan. In the writing book, it actually gives you several suggestions for pacing the written work. (so, don't buy any writing lesson plans)

*edited to add*
            I just pulled all the pieces together. If you buy the enrichment guide, for your purposes, you will have what you need. The pacing is in the Enrichment guide, but not in the writing guide. You would not need "lesson" plans then....just the writing and enrichment guide.

It seems a little trickier if someone wants to only do the Bible Story Edition though. However, that is a bit different, because it does list which Holy Scripture is being used (and it says you can use any Bible). You would have to pace that yourself though, without plans.

...a question for Cheryl - the writing almost seems like it would be better to have read the whole thing first, then do the writing the next week. The writing assignments are not necessarily tide to how much you read. It kind of assumes, it seems, that you have actually read the whole thing (or none at all, since you can really do the work, without reading the stories). For example, Week 1 in Christopher Columbus...you are to read chapters 1-5 on Day 1, then a few more chapters each day.
            Last edited by howiecram; 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM.
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I honestly wasn't planning on buying the enrichment guide as we'll be doing grade 1 enrichment with my middle daughter.

Is it possible to get the read aloud / Bible assignments added to the writing download? It's not very useful without that critical component.

Or, I could just go off of the book list where each week lists which book is used. Especially, if as Christine said, the days writing assignment isn't directly connected to the reading assigned.
              Last edited by Colomama; 06-05-2017, 09:02 PM.

We've completed:

Comment

Or, I could just go off of the book list where each week lists which book is used. Especially, if as Christine said, the days writing assignment isn't directly connected to the reading assigned.
                I'm still not entirely sure on that one! LOL I have some questions about the logistics of the whole writing thing. I have a bit of anxiety over the read aloud edition in particular. As I mentioned earlier, the 1st week, BAM...a Landmark Chapter book. On day 1 of school 5 chapters are to be read and then answer some comprehension questions (in the enrichment guide) and then do some writing. I honestly don't see that happening, even remotely. The weeks where the books are much smaller, more like picture books, I can see it happening. The instructions are clear, btw though! It recommends reading the selection first, but then even suggests re-reading it. This will work beautifully for the Bible edition, but I see it being much more difficult with the read aloud edition. I'm actually considering "spiraling" the writing books (I have both, still not certain we can do both, but am going to try). We would begin with the Bible edition. The writing is broken up into 4-5 week increments. Unlike SC2, where the writing was essentially the same format from week to week, every 4-5 weeks, the format changes and the difficulty increases in the SC3 edition. After the first section (with my help) is completed, I am considering then doing the Read Aloud edition (but continue moving forward with the Bible edition). It's essentially a repeat of the Bible, just a different story. The "second" round I would hope she could do it by herself? This plan gives me more flexibility in completing the reading portion of the read aloud!

On an aside, I am planning on the opposite of you! I am planning the SC3 enrichment, but I have the K enrichment guide solely for the questions about the read aloud with MPK. My littles could still use the picture books/questions. I was going to attempt doing the K read aloud and SC3. My point is just that if you buy the enrichment guide, you'll get all the lovely questions for the read aloud. If you really want to save money, you can just do the Bible edition. Again, inside the writing book for the Bible edition, it does tell you what Bible selection to read. It can be any Bible, so there the pacing would not be needed, if a Bible other than The Story Bible was used anyway.

My apologies if I am rambling and/or talking in circles. I'm really excited about this whole writing thing, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logistics of pulling it off (and I have the full curriculum guide, enrichment guide and books to look at!).

In case I wasn't clear, the writing book is phenomenal! Cheryl really thought of everything and the fact that both editions are literally identical in style and format is amazing! This can be a stand alone program (but perhaps there may be some flaws in the delivery?). If a child was actually reading really well but struggled with writing/grammar then the reading selections will be less important. If you have the general gist of the story/person you can complete the assignments well. The books are very mature looking, so an older child should not baulk at this. I feel like you need some familiarity with the story, but an older child with higher reading ability might be able to read a more advanced book on, say, Columbus and still do the assignment for week 1. (Wondering if this is truly the case?) On the flip side (where we are at) if you have a child that needs more reading work but has high comprehension, again, this works! My daughter is ready for higher content/subject reading wise, but not decoding.

What are you thinking about doing next year all together for your son?
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Good morning!

This is the baxkground:

We want our older SC students who are ready for more "meat" to know the content of the more challenging American history readers. You can teach these as readers for those who are ready to read, teach them as read-alouds for those who are ready to hear, or omit them altogether and remember that this is only enrichment!

Similarly, you can teach without the writing. As Christine mentioned, gentle comprehension questions come in the Enrichment Guide.

As the year progresses, or, as Christine mentioned, with some of the easier books, these can be readers. Some of our SC students will be ready to dive in with the books as readers. If needed, you can teach the writing exercises a day or two behind. I would not teach an entire week behind, because the reading topic will change. You can also opt for the Bible edition. This will be the second time through The Story Bible, which is written at a lower reading level than the Writing read-alouds. This might be preferable for some students.

As Christine mentioned, the format for Writing is identical in SC 3 to allow the greatest flexibility. You could also teach AmHist Writing during the 8-week Extension as a review, if AmHist were read-aloud-only during the school year.

Colomama, I would think we could easily add the reading schedule to the Individual Lesson Plans, if you need this!

The intent of American history readers is to provide age-appropriate knowledge in story form. The content will overlap as the stories unfold. Some is non-fiction, but much is historical fiction. Throughout the year, the characters and themes repeat in many contexts for familiarity. If the content is still too advanced, feel free to omit it. Focus instead on the core elements or teach from the picture books in MP K-2 Enrichment options, if preferred.

Even without the American history books, in SC 3 you will have oral reading practice, phonics instruction, grammar, and composition through SC More STT. You will also have cursive, arithmetic, Christian studies, recitations for general knowledge, cooybook, and more!

Summary:
                  Just as with the more advanced Animal Studies in SC C for those students (usually ASD) who crave more and higher learning, the advanced American Studies in SC 3 can be omitted wirhout missing the core of reading, writing, arithmetic, and Christian studies so integral to the primary years.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

Colomama, I would think we could easily add the reading schedule to the Individual Lesson Plans, if you need this!

I guess I still wonder if the actual SCHEDULED reading is required to complete the assignment. (or could you read slightly less? Is the actual pacing necessary or you could just divide the book up over the week?) It is 1 book per week ( except a few, but you would know which covered 2 weeks, because each writing assignment has the name of the book at the top). I'm just asking again because I don't think you really need lesson plans, because it is all laid out in the writing book.

I am thinking for us, we will have to stay ahead of the American History and begin on the weekend. So we might have covered more than 1/2 or so of the book before Monday even begins. This way we could chose the option of completing more writing but not be bogged down with a lot of reading either (for the longer chapter books) I personally see my daughter being able to handle both editions of the actual writing, but the reading is going to be trickier (even with mom reading them aloud). It's our first year with 3 "cores", so I'm feeling anxious about getting it all done! I know we will figure it out!

Summary:
                    Just as with the more advanced Animal studies in SC C for those students (usually ASD) who crave more and higher learning, the American Studies in SC 3 can be omitted wirhout missing the core of the reading, writing, arithmetic, and Christian studies so integral to the primary years.

This was a perfect comparison that really helped me see it more clearly!!
                    Response in blue!
                    Christine

(2019/2020)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

You are right. The pacing schedule for reading is not critical. As a homeschooling family, you could read ahead over the weekend.

By the middle of the year, you might even find longer attention spans in your listeners! The books and topics are very boy-friendly with plenty of heroes, so you might want your son to listen.

And yes, I know you will figure it out!

Comment

If I purchased the individual lesson plans for writing, would it come with the assigned reading? So, would it tell me which pages to read aloud?

By looking at the curriculum guide, it seems the actual assigned pages are listed in the enrichment section if I were to use the read-aloud edition.

Thanks
                        Hi, Colomama.

This is correct. Because we are doing more with these American history read-alouds than SC Writing, everything is in the Enrichment Guide! This includes the reading pacing, discussion questions and comprehension questions by chapter, coordinating art studies (e.g., the Lincoln Memorial and its sculptor when studying Lincoln), the Delve Deeply Friday activities for American history, and the corresponding Science, Knowledge, and Culture lessons for each week (e.g., building a little log cabin, learning about building materials, talking about the role of plumbers and electricians in homes today.) Both you and your son enjoy science, so if you have time to teach a few of these and can purchase the SC Enrichment, I think this would make everything far more interesting for your son and far easier for you to teach.

Btw, the pacing is not as easy to pull as I thought, because it is tied to the chapter questions. If you cannot obtain the SC Enrichment Guide and only want pacing, just divide the number of pages by the number if days you plan to read, and mark your stopping points. This is "free" and reasonably quick to do. We will try to pull the pacing to include inside the SC 3 Curriculum Guide or in the front of the Writing book, but for now this may be your least expensive option. You could also read the entire book ahead, as Christine suggested.

For the Bible edition of SC Writing, you can get by with just the Individual Bible Lesson Plans. These will include not only the scheduling but also the new and review memory work and Copybook to go with each story.

Of course for both Bible and American history writing, ALL of the available helps will assist memory, interest, and understanding, so use as many as you can.

For anyone else reading:
                        This is not as complicated as it sounds. If you teach from SC 3 as written, everything is there for you!

Enjoy. Few areas proved as engaging for my own children as American history. They nearly flew down the stairs with favorite suggestions for SC 3, so I hope your children enjoy these books. If your children balk, teach the accompanying Enrichment lessons for deeper understanding.

NEW:
                        If you teach SC Writing (lurker or poster), please save your student's best Lesson D sentences and illustrations from SC Writing Book One and Book Two, whether Bible or Read-Aloud. We will be doing something very exciting with these!

More on this to come...

Comment

Working...
                        X