Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

'For-brain'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'For-brain'

Hi all,

My mother-in-law called me this morning asking if I mind if she buys Jonny a 'forbrain' device (www.forbrain.com) for his birthday. My husband has been looking them up this morning and thinks that there is inadequate scientific evidence and that it's just a marketing push that is selling these devices. But I'm not so sure. At the very least Jonny being able to hear his own voice more clearly may be really helpful as we work on his articulation and also later as he is learning to read. (His speech sounds are very slushy and he has his own special ways of saying a number of words).

My husband has said it's up to me what I tell her...but he thinks it's a waste of money.

Have any of your kids used one of these devices...did it help and how?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sarahandrew; 06-05-2017, 04:45 AM.
    Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
    Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, R&S4, IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Grammar
    Jonny 7yo (Special Needs) SC1 Phonics, R&S1
    Elissa (almost) 4yo K phonics, R&S Preschool books

Together this term (in Circle Time) we are doing Bible time with SC1 Story Bible and our own memorisation/songs, Myself and Others 2, Homer Price, Greek Myths, IEW Poetry Memorisation, speech therapy, The Body Book, Artventure and picture books from SCB/SC1 etc.

Thomas 17 months

Re: 'For-brain'

It reminds me of a high tech phonics phone -- those are supposed to be very helpful. But those are probably $5 in comparison to $300. Its very hard to decide about these supplemental therapy devices.

Without any research whatsoever I'd put it in the can't hurt/potentially helpful category.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Re: 'For-brain'

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
      It reminds me of a high tech phonics phone -- those are supposed to be very helpful. But those are probably $5 in comparison to $300. Its very hard to decide about these supplemental therapy devices.

Without any research whatsoever I'd put it in the can't hurt/potentially helpful category.
      Thanks Susan. Yes, the thought of her spending so much money was what made us shudder after the thought that my lovely mother in law has a different way about things to us. My parents in law have been incredibly generous to us, but I don't want them to waste their money, no matter how her heart is set on it! I had not heard of phonics phones but I just looked them up, yes, much much cheaper! And also it seems very effective. Glad to know that at least that aspect seems like a definite bonus. Thanks for your input.
      Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
      Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, R&S4, IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Grammar
      Jonny 7yo (Special Needs) SC1 Phonics, R&S1
      Elissa (almost) 4yo K phonics, R&S Preschool books

Together this term (in Circle Time) we are doing Bible time with SC1 Story Bible and our own memorisation/songs, Myself and Others 2, Homer Price, Greek Myths, IEW Poetry Memorisation, speech therapy, The Body Book, Artventure and picture books from SCB/SC1 etc.

Thomas 17 months

Comment

Working...
      X