Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help me think through next year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me think through next year

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Colomama likes the R&S set.
    Sorry to butt in... (Prepping for 2nd grade math and R&S 1 again....and then again....I'm in perpetual R&S 1 for the next several years! LOL)) Which set do you like Colomama? I have the 1st grade set, but I'm not a fan. I do have the ones that MP suggests, but I'm not sure those are going to work either. (the 1st grade R&S only go to 10 anyway) Did you buy direct from R&S (or milestone)? I did buy those triangular wipe boards, looking forward to using those.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	14973072799951708706427.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	104028

Here are the two cards side by side. The big one is rod and staff grade 1 flashcards. These go through fact 10. They are one fact per card, the answer is same size but in grey font on reverse. They're big. Their item number is 13141 (Grade 1 flashcards) for $17.80. Includes 208 cards.

The smaller one is 3 1/8 x 7 1/2 inches. They go through fact 20, but are sold in addition and subtraction sets so you would need to purchase a set of each to cover all facts. They have a pre-punched hole at the top and are notched for easy separating. The notch for addition is slightly different sized than subtraction, so you can easily get them all facing the same way and sort + or - . Love these!

The addition cards are item number 13040.1 for $10. Subtraction is 13041.1 for $10. Each set contains 102 cards.

If I had it to do over again I would just order the smaller cards for first grade and reuse them for second. But with back to back kids, you really need 2 sets.
      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]654[/ATTACH]

Here are the two cards side by side. The big one is rod and staff grade 1 flashcards. These go through fact 10. They are one fact per card, the answer is same size but in grey font on reverse. They're big. Their item number is 13141 (Grade 1 flashcards) for $17.80. Includes 208 cards.

The smaller one is 3 1/8 x 7 1/2 inches. They go through fact 20, but are sold in addition and subtraction sets so you would need to purchase a set of each to cover all facts. They have a pre-punched hole at the top and are notched for easy separating. The notch for addition is slightly different sized than subtraction, so you can easily get them all facing the same way and sort + or - . Love these!

The addition cards are item number 13040.1 for $10. Subtraction is 13041.1 for $10. Each set contains 102 cards.

If I had it to do over again I would just order the smaller cards for first grade and reuse them for second. But with back to back kids, you really need 2 sets.
        I actually have those cards! In the bottom of a plastic tub somewhere. I forgot about them until I saw your picture. That's too funny. I have so much stuff, I need to sort through it all this summer.

I used these cards with A (we just finished R&S 2). The cards say facts to 12, but that means up to 12 + 12 = 24. They had all the cards called through in R&S 1 & 2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like them because they're smallish and easy to shuffle. I likely wouldn't have bought them if I'd realized I had the R&S ones.
        Susan

2018-2019
        A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
        C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
        G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          Susan,

This is good! Look at those Phoneme/grapheme and Word Attack scores!

Her difficulty with fluency brought down her overall reading cluster. This points to the continued need for daily oral reading practice with a combined emphasis on speed and accuracy. She evidences good word attack skills with unfamiliar and nonsense words, so this can help her fluency with practice, practice, practice. Elevate her oral reading practice to front-burner status over the summer. She does not need to love it, but she needs to do it.

She does have a relative area of concern in Reading when compared, for example to her impressive standard score in Writing, so she will practice reading all summer and in SC 3.

Your plan sounds very good. Then you can catch her up to SC 3 as written, which will make things much more cohesive for her. She might even enjoy the content!

So glad you had time on the beach. Thanks for following up.
          Thank you Cheryl. We usually practice reading aloud at bedtime, but I'll make a point to set aside a time during the day for more school like practice. The math fact practice is a good idea too. That was on my summer list, but I hadn't figured out a designated time. She is just finishing R&S 1, so she's only covered facts to 10. That might be why her math fact fluency came out lower.

I think I'll post A's scores later, to see if you have any insights. Thank you so much!
          Susan

2018-2019
          A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
          C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
          G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
          X