Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Update and question about audiobooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update and question about audiobooks

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Hi, Mary.

My in-house audio book expert (low processing, ADHD, other) says his favorites, in this order, are ...

1. Focus on the Family Radio Theater -- ALL that he has heard, including these favorites:

-Ben Hur
    -Magician's Nephew, Silver Chair and the other Narnia books
    -Oliver Twist
    -Bonhoeffer
    -Les Miserables

He says this radio theater beats many other audio versions "hands-down" in his mind due to the faithfulness to the story, serious dramatization, and reader quality.

Cheryl
    The Focus on the Family Radio Theater version of Little Women is also wonderful. Highly recommend.

You don't know us, but we read your posts, care for you from afar, and will be praying for you.

Susan
    DD 14 - MP 9

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Mary,
      It would be helpful to know if your main car (the regular family car/road trip one) has an audio input/auxiliary jack? If so, using free things from the library (OverDrive/Hoopla) or Audible might be a realistic in-car-only option for you. You'd just need a male-to-male cord to plug and play from your phone. We have different things to listen to in-car (whole family listening) and in home (varies by individual).

Hugs-from-Jessica-who-has-over-hyphenated-this-reply.
      No audio input jack? No problem. I use this --- I bought one for each car. (neither of which have input jacks)
      Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
        Mary,
        Hugs, friend. Please know that I am praying for your family. <3

We are still navigating the best way to use audiobooks. Like you, it seems to be CD is best for us. I haven't used Audible yet. I keep thinking I need to, but haven't just yet. I wonder if you purchase from Audible, can you then record to a CD-R? Then you'd be able to take them wherever. Another option for portability would be an MP3 player or iPod, you can load them up with a bunch of books on one compact device. If everyone wants to listen to the iPod in the car you can buy a cable that has two headphone plugs. One end plugs into the headphone jack on the car and the other the headphone jack on the iPod. I have the one below, it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Audible is very accessible. You could download it to your computer, and I THINK you could probably put it on a CD. But I'd be more apt to put it on an old MP3 player, iPod, old iPhone, etc. (I hate keeping track of CDs)

We play ours through my smart phone, using a stereo input transmitter thing. (linked in a post below)
        Plans for 2021-22

DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian

Comment

Focus on the Family! Yes! We have Silas Marner and the complete Narnia set! They are great...but I didn't list them because I didn't count them as audiobooks. In my overly-compartmentalized mind, I'd filed them away as dramatizations. I have several on my wish list. <3 I'm glad that Michael is still listening to cassettes - I feel good, now, that I was on Amazon looking for a cassette player tonight! Several of the audiobooks I'm looking for are only available on cassette (my kids have no idea what a cassette tape is...or the joy of taping songs from the radio).

The plan for right now is to have her listen to an audiobook and, if it's a literature selection, also read it for herself and complete the lit guides at her pace. She is able to read and enjoys reading a lot, but it seems to help if she's also hearing the book, as well. She can keep up with her grade level, but only if I break up her day into several short sessions. If she's working with an audiobook that goes with a lit selection, I'll read the read-aloud selection. In cases when it's the opposite, I'll read the lit selection and have her listen to the read-aloud audiobook. (Really hoping that made sense - I'm sooo tired!) This still allows time for the other kiddos who need read-aloud (and other) time with me. I think. Best laid plans and all...

Also, forgot to add that we have some other lovely audiobooks that are not part of MP lit or read-aloud lists, including Trumpet of the Swan, which really is so lovely to listen to. We also like the rendition of Charlotte's Web. I just adore Grace Lin's series, as her readers are really phenomenal (Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Starry River of the Sky and When the Sea Turned to Silver. Little E has a whole collection of Virginia Lee Burton, Robert McCloskey and Arnold Lobel CDs...but those aren't what B needs. *LOL*

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
          You don't know us, but we read your posts, care for you from afar, and will be praying for you.
          Oh, I lurk in here a lot more than you know. *evil laughter* I kind of feel like an odd duck - we're sort of special needs dabblers. *weary laugh* I feel so blessed that A "only" needs help with social stuff and the occasional (obvious) stim issue and that B "only" needs her wheelchair and extra time with tests/assignments and support with reading/history and that our "only" real problem is the constant appointments and medical travel...there are people who have infinitely more going on than I do and in my head, I feel like I would take resources away from others if I horn in. (That over-compartmentalized mind also has a zero-sum game mentality. I know, I have issues...) I used to be a full-time, full-blown SN Mama...then we faded out of it...and now I'm entering back in, but with new and improved issues. I think I need some time to re-adjust to this.
          Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            No audio input jack? No problem. I use this --- I bought one for each car. (neither of which have input jacks)
            Dianna, you know me. Do you really, really think this old bird is going to learn new tricks? *cracks up laughing*

No, thanks. I will keep track of a THOUSAND CDs before I'll succumb to the iPod fad.

One. Thousand. Mark my words.
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

We have Adam of the Road as well as The Door in the Wall on Audible and loved them both. I haven't been able to find Robin Hood or King Arthur (Green versions) anywhere. Audible does have The Once and Future King, which is lovely.

I also LOVE the audio versions of Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. (available on Audible)

Oooh. Thanks for the suggestion of Grace Lin.

Hugs and more hugs to you --- we will hold you in our prayers.
              Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                We have Adam of the Road as well as The Door in the Wall on Audible and loved them both. I haven't been able to find Robin Hood or King Arthur (Green versions) anywhere. Audible does have The Once and Future King, which is lovely.

I also LOVE the audio versions of Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. (available on Audible)
                I am *thisclose* to joining Audible just to see if I can record Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall on my computer. Of course, not only do I not know if I have this capability, I also can't be sure that I won't blow something up in the process. It is worth a try, though, as the cheapest CD copy of Adam of the Road (used) can be had for a mere $75.00.

I didn't know Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus were available in audiobook form! *Runs off to see if anyone has pressed these into CDs in the hopes of getting to a thousand just to photograph the collection and send it to Dianna*
                Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

This doesn't help right now, but PBS is filming Little Women. It won't air until 2018.

Since you asked about movies, my kids have enjoyed pointing out the discrepancies in a few. Charlotte's Web, for example, is one that we read then watched a few different versions of. They were quick to point out where the movies shifted away from the book. While not exactly educational, it did confirm that they paid attention to the reading.
                  Joyfully, Courtney
                  DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                    I am *thisclose* to joining Audible just to see if I can record Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall on my computer.
                    For my youngest dd Audible was the best thing we ever did...it was worth it to add to our over stretched budget ha.
                    She loved their D'aulaire Greek Myths to do along with her lessons...and the Blue fairy books...and ...and... ha.
                    I swear it is the only way I can get her to stay on task to clean anything...

I know we have used them on the pc, laptop, kindle, and shuffle.

our phone is not a smart phone only a laughable flip phone but you can get an app on your phone

In the customer help pages they walk though how to download to pc and you can make cd's.

I believe the process would give me head ache and want to say bad words but is doable!
                    DD - Graduated!
                    DS - core 12 with remediation/support
                    DD - core 9 with remediation/support
                    DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

Maggie,

Quick question:

Is the D'Aulaires' Greek Myths reading (that you referenced) the same as the Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Kathleen Turner version available as a CD on Amazon?

Looking ahead to SC 4 or 5.

Comment

Maggie,

Quick question:

Is the D'Aulaires' Greek Myths reading (that you referenced) the same as the Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Kathleen Turner version available as a CD on Amazon?

We have that version and it's fantastic!
                        Joyfully, Courtney
                        DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Maggie,

Quick question:

Yes, it appears to be the same... dd liked all the voices...I do love Kathleen Turners voice myself!
                          DD - Graduated!
                          DS - core 12 with remediation/support
                          DD - core 9 with remediation/support
                          DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

I am going to have a lot of explaining to do when this credit card bill comes in. *full disclosure - the hubs knows what I'm up to!* D'Aulaires features PAUL NEWMAN?! I am in. My kids could use the refresher. I'm calling it "educational", but really, it's for me. *fans self*

Audible may be in my future. I have a smart phone (Samsung), but it is older and malfunctions more than it works. I've been secretly hoping that it would die and that I could trade it for a Jitterbug; however, my husband is not on board with my evil plan. I do not own an iPod or an iPad (the 1st gen. iPad we had - a gift from dh's parents - finally died a few weeks ago), but I guess I could run audibooks from my computer. Right now, though, I have found enough CDs that I can kick the mp3 can down the road a bit longer.
                            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Even if Audible isn't in your future for daily use I really love their extended samples of the books they offer. Usually they have a 5-10 minute sample of the reading, which will allow you to get a good feel for the reader. Before you buy the CDs it may be worth it to just check over there and see if they have the same version. The reviews also tend to be pretty accurate as to a reader's style and pace.

I love Audible, I've outsourced almost all of the MP read alouds to Audible, and we always have a family book going in the car. For what it's worth if you ever get a book and decide later it's not what you wanted (bad narration, bad story, whatever) they have no problem issuing you a refund. I've done that a couple of times when I accidently bought an abridged version of something I had wanted the full version of. It's all automated, you can return things at 3am without talking to a single person.
                              ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                              DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                              DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                              DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post
                                It's all automated, you can return things at 3am without talking to a single person.
                                You speak my language.

I actually have used the Audible samples in order to see if we'll like an audiobook before purchasing - it has been immensely helpful!

Since we're finishing up cores over the summer and into the fall (read: not buying any new cores until at least Thanksgiving), I went ahead and blew the budget on several audiobook CDs and the kids are soooo thrilled! This has freed me to read other books we don't have in audiobook form aloud.

I have to say that our New Normal is working out well for all of the kids. Here's what we're doing:

My 6M and 4A really enjoy doing work together. We do CS, Geography, EGR and science together. CS, EGR and science all went out the window early last fall when life went haywire...as did a lot of literature.

We just read Dangerous Journey together as a family. I bought 3 copies of the book and 2 student guides. We had a ball taking turns reading and the kids want to do this with the other things we need to catch up on. So I just ordered 2 additional copies of the Golden Children's Bible, as well as 3 copies of the Twenty One Balloons and 2 additional copies of What's That Bird. We are going to finish Christian Studies over the summer and do Birds and Twenty One Balloons together as a family (the kids will do the Birds student book but we'll just discuss the questions orally from TOB - TOB is really just for enrichment). Birds is part of dd's 6th grade curriculum but ds wants to do it, too. Hey, the more, the merrier!

Separately, the kids will each do their math, Latin and Famous Men...but I have an extra copy of the FMMA text and dd and I take turns reading paragraphs of each lesson. This really seems to help her and I'm happy to do it.

Lastly, she is doing The Door in the Wall on her own and wants *try* Robin Hood next, both of which are part of her 6th grade core.
                                The secret to her holding her own with literature right now? *takes deep breath* I never thought I'd say this, but I'm letting her mark up the book. *cringes, curls toes* She's underlining important points and making notes in the margins. (I had to buy a clean copy for her to read and she marks up the "messy" copy she keeps next to her. It's really cute and sooo Type-A!) Robin Hood is a bit different beast than TDitW, so I'm ready to purchase a second copy so that we can tag-read it like we do other subjects *just in case*.

My son is finishing Homer Price (part of his 4th grade core) and does NOT want to mark up his book. Ah, a boy after my own heart. <3

I am putting off composition a little while longer while we ramp back up in other areas. This bugged me at first, but I keep thinking that the kids are doing very well with sentence structure in other areas, as well as good copywork (thank you literature enrichment!) and I don't want any of us to be overwhelmed. We're still dealing with ups and downs with regard to dd's daily functioning (not to mention appointments), so I'm really trying to maintain a sense of stability and calm rather than rushing to check boxes.

Little E has suddenly taken off in phonics and reading! After a year of really not being too interested in reading (and thank God because we really had no time!), she has recently torn through FSR-A!
                                She sits with her little tote and does her copywork or colors in her Animal Alphabet book while the Bigs and I read and I work with her while they're doing math and Latin. She just can't wait to read her new selections each day and, as she's listening to her little books on CD, she now comes up to me and points out the words she knows. "Mommy, I knew the reader was going to say "Sam I am" because it says "Sam I am" right here!" *points to book*

Me 3 years ago would not recognize this strange, calm woman I've morphed into. *laughs hysterically*
                                Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                                X