Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Update and question about audiobooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update and question about audiobooks

Whew! What a year this has been!

Because I love and respect all of you, I'll spare you the gory details. Long story short, our oldest daughter has continued to experience some new and some worsening issues and we just found out last week that it is, in fact, mitochondrial disease that's behind all of it. We're adding Atlanta to our list of cities to visit for medical treatment - we go next month to see Dr. Kendall, who heads the preeminent Mito clinic in the US (thank GOD for that referral!).

We already knew that she couldn't tolerate walking or standing for any period of time (hence her fancy new red wheelchair, affectionately nicknamed "Zippy") and that she has all sorts of trouble with heart arrhythmia, hypotension and edema. But what we didn't realize is that she has some invisible symptoms. Her apparent lack of focus and her irritability stem from her brain's lack of energy - she, quite literally, cannot concentrate for long stretches of time because her brain takes up so much energy that it throws her other systems out of whack. It's kind of a mess.

She has kept up with math and Latin but everything else (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is way, way behind. We're just going to plug away and finish 6th grade whenever we finish. I had initially thought we could just accelerate and get everything done over the summer, but now I realize this just is NOT working. I'm no longer worried about arbitrary time limits. What I do realize, though, is that she needs lots of different input in order for concepts to "stick". Math and Latin and even geography seem to be no problem - they are very concrete and stay with her. We have no problems (yet!) with these.
    Literature, composition and history are thorns in her side. Her comprehension and retention is abysmal. It's so terribly sad because these used to be strong points for her. (Wait, she's always loathed composition...*hehehe*)

Sooo...I'm looking for audiobooks and good movie productions to go along with literature and history selections. It seems to help her to hear the material and see it (if possible) in addition to trying to read it. As much as I adore reading aloud, I simply cannot read every single, solitary selection to her.
    We already own nearly every CD by Jim Weiss, as well as audiobooks versions of Paddington, Cricket in Times Square, Phantom Tollbooth, Carry on Mr. Bowditch and the entire Little House series. We also have the PBS movie version of The Wind in the Willows.

I tried the Librivox version of the Famous Men series and found it to be tough - she simply can't understand a couple of the readers. CDs and DVDs are best because she has a CD player in her room and we have the DVD player in the living room - we don't do much with computers/phones/tablets.

I'm currently looking for any audiobook and/or movie version of Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall,Robin Hood, King Arthur, I, Juan de Pareja, The Bronze Bow and Famous Men of the Middle Ages. I'd also love any related/similar audiobooks/DVDs. If you know of a good version (movie or audiobook), please sing out!

I've seen some offerings for Robin Hood but it wasn't Roger Lancelyn Green's version so I was a bit leery. Also, I saw Adam of the Road available on Audible and *may* try that to see how it is (Audible, that is - I heard the reader and he is fabulous!). Like I said, though, I do prefer CDs because they're easier for her to use and we can listen in the car...since we spend half our life in there. *weary laugh*

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: Update and question about audiobooks

Mary,
    Hugs, friend. Please know that I am praying for your family. <3

We are still navigating the best way to use audiobooks. Like you, it seems to be CD is best for us. I haven't used Audible yet. I keep thinking I need to, but haven't just yet. I wonder if you purchase from Audible, can you then record to a CD-R? Then you'd be able to take them wherever. Another option for portability would be an MP3 player or iPod, you can load them up with a bunch of books on one compact device. If everyone wants to listen to the iPod in the car you can buy a cable that has two headphone plugs. One end plugs into the headphone jack on the car and the other the headphone jack on the iPod. I have the one below, it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Just wanted to offer hugs and a reminder that if you post this on the Special Needs, Cheryl Swope can really help you!! I have a friend with an adopted son with mitochondrial disease. He is on a special diet, but flares quite a bit, even with the diet.
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

*smacks head* Yes! Will cross-post over in SC area! It's odd to be dealing with mutli-sensory input at this age after doing it for so long with autistic middle guy when he was little (who's now an Aspie that only another Aspie would pick out of a crowd). I am dusting off everything I knew from him and trying to re-format that knowledge to help the Big One.

Also, I was supposed to be napping (massive migraine setting in) but I got agitated and started hitting all the online sites I know of to find things. Here's what I have in various and sundry online carts right now - all in audiobook format:

*Little Women - read by Barbara Caruso
        *Where the Red Fern Grows - read by Anthony Heald
        *A Single Shard - read by Malcolm Greame
        *Tales from Shakespeare - no information about the reader. Just says 11 audio CDs
        *Across Five Aprils- read by Terry Bregy
        *The Princess and the Goblin - read by Brooke Heldman
        *The Bronze Bow- read by Mary Woods
        *King Arthur (abridged - but it's the Naxos CD and people it got good reviews...?) - read by Benedict Flynn
        *Island of the Blue Dolphins- read by Tantoo Cardinal
        *I, Juan de Pareja - read by Johanna Ward

Anybody own these? Any you'd recommend? Any with poor readers or with storylines that deviate from the original?
        Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

MP IT geniuses - is there a way to post this thread simultaneously in the SC forum? Is it possible to have the same thread in 2 different areas of the forum with people in each area posting in real time? Or should I just go there and direct people over here to take a peek? TIA for your help!
          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Mary,
            It would be helpful to know if your main car (the regular family car/road trip one) has an audio input/auxiliary jack? If so, using free things from the library (OverDrive/Hoopla) or Audible might be a realistic in-car-only option for you. You'd just need a male-to-male cord to plug and play from your phone. We have different things to listen to in-car (whole family listening) and in home (varies by individual).

Hugs-from-Jessica-who-has-over-hyphenated-this-reply.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
            10th • HLN, Latin online
            7th • HLN & Home
            4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Mary,
              It would be helpful to know if your main car (the regular family car/road trip one) has an audio input/auxiliary jack? If so, using free things from the library (OverDrive/Hoopla) or Audible might be a realistic in-car-only option for you. You'd just need a male-to-male cord to plug and play from your phone. We have different things to listen to in-car (whole family listening) and in home (varies by individual).

Hugs-from-Jessica-who-has-over-hyphenated-this-reply.
              We don't have that input - at least, there is one but it doesn't fit my (aging and barely working) phone. Our Subaru doesn't even have built-in GPS (Gasp! And it's a NEW car!). We bought the cheapest, most stripped version of the Outback we could afford. We just pop the CD in and everybody listens. My older minivan does have a built-in DVD player and CD player; however, we don't use headphones. We pop in the DVD or CD and everyone watches/listens.

I am in the same library system as StJude7 - we really don't have good audiobook options. I was perusing over the weekend and, if I want Danielle Steele or Harry Potter on audio CD, I'm in luck! They also have several copies of Fifty Shades of Gray! Woo hoo! *cracks up laughing* The kindly librarian said she'd try work with other libraries in the state to acquire audiobooks through some super-special-intrastate-inter-library-loan but they're somehow trickier than paper books to order in. I have no idea how that all works. It sounds like the CIA might be involved.

I am beginning to find some good audiobook options on Amazon - I was able to preview several and found a few that were real stinkers (Across Five Aprils = great book, poor reader). I just have to be creative about entering different search words, as some will pop up under "audiobook", some under "CD" and others only show up as an option under the book title. I can't preview anything on alibris, abe books or HPB, so I'm going to poke around and see if I can hear samples elsewhere...or just order blindly. *Re-thinking this position after hearing Across Five Aprils reader on Amazon, though...*

Once I have a few here for her to listen to, I think it may lighten my load *just enough* for me to pick up any others in read-aloud time.

I think I'm feeling really overwhelmed with the new and ever-interesting (that's the nicest word I can think of) things that are happening to her and I just need to do...something. Pestering the librarian and spending the kids' inheritance on audiobooks and DVDs makes me feel empowered. *For those of you playing along at home, the inheritance I spoke of now hovers around a hundred bucks. Split three ways and then taxed, I think each kiddo will be able to afford a nice dinner at McDonald's when I'm gone.*
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                MP IT geniuses - is there a way to post this thread simultaneously in the SC forum? Is it possible to have the same thread in 2 different areas of the forum with people in each area posting in real time? Or should I just go there and direct people over here to take a peek? TIA for your help!
                Mary,

I have moved your post to the SC forum, but left a link to it on the K-8 board so it can be found both places.

HTH, and prayers for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family!

Comment

Mary,

I don't know what sites you found these titles on, but have you checked out downpour.com? It is blackstone audio's consumer site. If you can do digital downloads they have a rental option that sounds like audible or they have cd's to purchase. The nice thing is that they have previews of all of their selections so you can check out whether you like the reader's voice. They have an amazing selection.

I can't seem to find audio of Adam of the Road anywhere
                  My daughter remembered liking Door in the wall read by Rees
                  My daughter liked Little Women read by Caruso pretty well, but the artwork on the copy our library owns would make Louisa May Alcott roll over in her grave.
                  I can only find Robin Hood and The Story of King Arthur and his Knights by Pyle

I did notice that A&E's Biography series had an episode titled King Arthur:his life and legends. I haven't watched it, but I remember liking the series.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. We are praying for all of you.
                  Last edited by Mom2mthj; 05-08-2017, 06:15 PM.
                  Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                  15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                  DD College Freshman
                  DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                  DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                  DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    Mary,

I don't know what sites you found these titles on, but have you checked out downpour.com? It is blackstone audio's consumer site. If you can do digital downloads they have a rental option that sounds like audible or they have cd's to purchase. The nice thing is that they have previews of all of their selections so you can check out whether you like the reader's voice. They have an amazing selection.
                    No! I've never heard of them - now I know how my evening will be spent. Thanks!

My daughter liked Little Women read by Caruso pretty well, but the artwork on the copy our library owns would make Louisa May Alcott roll over in her grave.
                    *cracking up laughing here!*

I did notice that A&E's Biography series had an episode titled King Arthur:his life and legends. I haven't watched it, but I remember liking the series.
                    Another fun project tonight - setting the DVR! I've not heard of that series, so I'm excited to preview it!
                    Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Mary,

I have moved your post to the SC forum, but left a link to it on the K-8 board so it can be found both places.
                      Thank you, Michael!
                      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Another fun project tonight - setting the DVR! I've not heard of that series, so I'm excited to preview it![/QUOTE]

Biography is not a current A&E series to the best of my knowledge. It is more of the "oldie, but goodie" as we joke around here. I saw the King Arthur episode on the library website on DVD when I was looking up audiobook options for King Arthur. Some of them may have been moved to one the history channel stations that I don't get. It might be available on demand if you have the right satellite or Netflix subscriptions...alas, I don't so I can't check on that for you.

Happy hunting!
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                        DD College Freshman
                        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Hugs, dear Mary! You know well you are in my prayers. I am of absolutely no help here at all. But it looks like our great folks are getting you all hooked up!

Hugs to sweet B!
                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

We all have really fond memories of listening to The Trumpet of the Swan, read by E.B White. There was something really soothing about his voice.
                            Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
                            Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Hi, Mary.

My in-house audio book expert (low processing, ADHD, other) says his favorites, in this order, are ...

1. Focus on the Family Radio Theater -- ALL that he has heard, including these favorites:

-Ben Hur
                              -Magician's Nephew, Silver Chair and the other Narnia books
                              -Oliver Twist
                              -Bonhoeffer
                              -Les Miserables

He says this radio theater beats many other audio versions "hands-down" in his mind due to the faithfulness to the story, serious dramatization, and reader quality.

2. Rob Inglis expertly reading Tolkien, Recorded Books, LLC.
                              It seems that Rob Inglis has played in Hamlet and reads Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens, even Orwell (perhaps for the future).

3. Simon & Schuster Audio
                              Michael says he "has not heard a bad one yet from Simon & Schuster Audio," although he does not at all have unlimited access to S&S options!
                              One of his favorites: D-Day, Stephen Ambrose.

And just for fun, Michael heartily recommends this to take one's mind off of troubles and "just have a good laugh": Dana Ivey reading Cheaper by the Dozen "with the right hint of humor at the right times."

Note: Some of these are aged cassettes our library was going to toss, so they gave them to Michael or sold them to him @ 10 cents a piece. Michael loves "Retro Tech," so his love has translated into dozens of handed-down audio books. The above list was his set of Top Picks just now, before he jumped into the shower.

We are so thankful to have found audio books for our son years ago when his comprehension, auditory processing, and composition skills were so very low. Now, at 22, 6'2", he runs on the treadmill before work, still listening to very good books.

A tip:
                              If you can, pair her listening with a simple required template. Not the dreaded book report, but something to spark her young mind.
                              Include the basics for her own reference:
                              Title, Author, Time Period/Setting, Main Characters, Date Published. 5 points each.

Expand this with, perhaps, ...
                              Reflections 1/2 page: Choose one for 25 points.
                              -- Your favorite character and why.
                              -- Your favorite scene and why.
                              -- If you wrote a sequel, who would become the main character(s), and why.
                              -- What character traits did you see and admire in this story? Why?

Consider having her write in such a template for brief but regular practice, so you can combine listening, thinking, writing, and understanding in small but steady ways.

If she likes to draw or paint or sculpt or color, have her "illiustrate" her reflection answer before or after (not instead of) writing about it. Bonus: 10 points.

Or use your own grading rubrics as incentives.

Armed with good audio books or dramatizations, this approach can take her well into and through her high school years.

Thanks for cross-posting, Mary. Let us know if we can help further.

You have accomplished so much with your son's learning challenges, those teaching skills will transfer well here!

With prayer for upcoming doctor visits and for your daughter and for you.

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                              X