Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Handwriting for the 7 year old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handwriting for the 7 year old

Hi!

We are in the final weeks of our core! Hooray! However, my husband noted the other day as my daughter was writing some Thank you notes that he is not pleased with her handwriting. I don't necessarily disagree, but at this point I'm a little confused since we are also working on cursive. I can't really see spending time on letter formation in both print and cursive, but I am often wrong!

In all honesty, we have had several weeks of interruptions back to back, since the end of March. I have noticed in my daughter that when things get mixed up she is almost unteachable. She needs to be more regulated and then she can resume her "normal" self. We went on vacation at the end of March. It always takes a week to "recover". We recovered, only to have Daddy away for a few days and then he returned, but had the rest of the week off (we love Daddy, but it does interrupt our '"flow"). Then we began preps for my daughter's First Holy Communion.....family visiting, later nights, etc. the "storm" is finally over, but I almost always notice that my daughter's handwriting, in particular suffers when she is a bit unregulated. (kind of odd, but that is actually pretty consistent....) We have mange to move forward in other studies, but it is a challenge. I expect that by the time we finish the core, she'll be more regulated! (of course!) I'm just wondering what suggestions you have for the summer. We are still only on 'u' for cursive and planned to finish that up, however long it takes. I have the cursive copybook and planned to do that in addition to working through the cursive practice sheets, doing cursive in chalk outside, on the wipe board, etc. Again, it just seems like a bit much to practice letter formation in both forms at this point, since we want her to start writing more in cursive?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Re: Handwriting for the 7 year old

Hi, Christine.

It will be a little while before she writes all of her assignments in cursive, so continuing with her manuscript practice can be helpful. You might give her the MP K Copybook, Manuscript, if she completed the Simply Classical Copybook. Through StartWrite, you might also create increasingly smaller-font manuscript sheets of spelling words or lists of phonetic patterns from Classical Phonics. This will give you several pieces of summer review at once.

You would not need to do summer practice of both every day, as this might be confusing. Here is one suggestion:
    1) Work on manuscript for at least 3-4 weeks when she finishes SC 2. Use the suggestions above. Help her work back to perfection with letter formation on lined paper.
    2) Then give her a little break with writing, just 1 week.
    3) Then use those cursive sheets just before school begins.
    4) She will review NAC very carefully in SC 3, so do not worry about spending those first 3-4 weeks on printing. As long as you conclude your summer with cursive just before she begins NAC 2, she should be fine.

One caution:
    At this point, you may want to avoid sidewalk chalk, letter painting, and other loosely formed avenues, however. Those were perfect when she was first learning the shapes of letters and needed different ways to practice. However, your husband is probably concerned with legibility, which is understandable and reasonable, so for these review weeks, I would focus practice on LINED paper with good spacing, good letter formation, and good sizing. For her own self-checking, pull out those P's and S's from her handwriting lessons.

Also, purchase only lined thank-you notes. My own daughter's writing "falls apart" on an unlined card or journal page, but lines up much more neatly with the assistance of pre-written lines. Another tip: You might also have her write a rough draft before she places her thoughts onto the lined thank-you note. This may keep everything more legible.

In some circles, it is deemed "cute" to have misspelled words, poor punctuation, and wavy, free-formed handwriting (even on those high school senior graduation thank-you notes we receive in May and June!), but your husband's sense is just good, common sense. Your daughter needs to be working toward "beautifully legible," so she can communicate well.

After NAC 2, which she will study in the American history form in SC 3 and in the Scripture & Quotations form in SC 4, THEN she will be ready to write exclusively in cursive. For now, it seems to me that reviewing both printing and cursive will help her in the long run.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Ok, that works! We have plenty of primary lined paper that comes with the cores! I have some things that can serve as "copywork" with me sitting next to her watching every stroke!

I will say that she does still have trouble copying something that isn't directly above. Should I have her practice this way, or move onto practicing copying from the board or another piece of paper, etc?
      Christine

(2018-2019)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Legibility is a different skill than far-point copying, so I would let her copy close to isolate the practice of legible writing most days.

To strengthen distance copying, you could take a passage she knows well and, say, on Thursday, place it on the board. Give her an extra 5 points (or other small incentive) for accurate, legible copying from a distance.

Comment

Working...
        X