Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Where to be

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to be

Hello, as I have posted recently, our boys, ages 8 and 9, have been in a three day a week Christian school for special needs and special learning needs. It's been a good year overall, but for several reasons, we decided to bring them back home next year. I will be teaching them from SC 2, and they will enjoy some afternoon activities to get excercise and time with other children. They will do Homeschool Track Club, which we've done for several years, horseback riding at a barn that serves special needs kids, and maybe swimming or Trail Life (Christian version of Boy Scouts) with Dad. Trying to find the balance of just right, which is enough for fun, learning, and motivation without being too over-stimulating.

So, last year I did most of SC 1 with my older guy and SC C with my younger, and we had a good year. With doing several therapies, we didn't quite finish SC 1, plus the reading was too hard in FSR D. So this school year, they have both strengthened their early reading skills. Older son N is reading better, although still labors over it. Younger son A reads easier than his brother. So now their teacher, who I have worked well with, says they both are definitely ready for SC 2, and I agree. The fluency practice will be great. They both are starting to try to read along when I read to them, and even N this morning in church, leaned over and showed me words in a hymn he tried to read, and did read a few words! They also want to read better on their own.

I'm thinking of doing the eight week extension after SC 1 this summer, along with FSR D, or at least the long vowel part. They have been just introduced to long vowels and don't know them very well at all. Would that be doable? Too much?

In Math, N is finishing R and S 2, the first half, and A is close to finishing R&S 1, second half. N has a strong foundation from working from the SC 1 plans last year, and he is doing well. However, I plan to go back through the teacher guide to check his skills and assign worksheets this summer and maybe fall before going on. He's done the second half of the first grade book and the first half of the second grade book this year. A has done most of the first grade book. He understands concepts, I think, and knows some of it, but it's been too fast for him. He has been taught Touch Math, counting up to add, and doesn't know many facts. So, I plan to re teach for him too and give him worksheets also. Any math suggestions for me?

I also plan to get the Nature notebook for both boys and draw some in our yard, the zoo, etc. And cook some fun new healthy treats together, swim, etc. What do you think? This is long. Thanks for reading it all!

Re: Where to be

I meant to title this post "Where to begin", not "be". Oops 😃

Comment

It sounds like you have thought very carefully about bringing your boys home and you have a good plan.

I think starting with FSR D is a wonderful idea! You could do that and maybe have them read from the 3rd phonics reader, Soft and White. That would give them great practice with long vowels. The 8 week review is a good idea too, but I would start with FSR D and see how that goes.

For math, I would focus on learning the math facts. That could be with flash cards, re-doing the lessons, worksheets, etc. Reciting those fact houses does wonders for my children.
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by LillianinAl View Post
        Hello, as I have posted recently, our boys, ages 8 and 9, have been in a three day a week Christian school for special needs and special learning needs. It's been a good year overall, but for several reasons, we decided to bring them back home next year. I will be teaching them from SC 2, and they will enjoy some afternoon activities to get excercise and time with other children. They will do Homeschool Track Club, which we've done for several years, horseback riding at a barn that serves special needs kids, and maybe swimming or Trail Life (Christian version of Boy Scouts) with Dad. Trying to find the balance of just right, which is enough for fun, learning, and motivation without being too over-stimulating.

So, last year I did most of SC 1 with my older guy and SC C with my younger, and we had a good year. With doing several therapies, we didn't quite finish SC 1, plus the reading was too hard in FSR D. So this school year, they have both strengthened their early reading skills. Older son N is reading better, although still labors over it. Younger son A reads easier than his brother. So now their teacher, who I have worked well with, says they both are definitely ready for SC 2, and I agree. The fluency practice will be great. They both are starting to try to read along when I read to them, and even N this morning in church, leaned over and showed me words in a hymn he tried to read, and did read a few words! They also want to read better on their own.

I'm thinking of doing the eight week extension after SC 1 this summer, along with FSR D, or at least the long vowel part. They have been just introduced to long vowels and don't know them very well at all. Would that be doable? Too much?

In Math, N is finishing R and S 2, the first half, and A is close to finishing R&S 1, second half. N has a strong foundation from working from the SC 1 plans last year, and he is doing well. However, I plan to go back through the teacher guide to check his skills and assign worksheets this summer and maybe fall before going on. He's done the second half of the first grade book and the first half of the second grade book this year. A has done most of the first grade book. He understands concepts, I think, and knows some of it, but it's been too fast for him. He has been taught Touch Math, counting up to add, and doesn't know many facts. So, I plan to re teach for him too and give him worksheets also. Any math suggestions for me?

I also plan to get the Nature notebook for both boys and draw some in our yard, the zoo, etc. And cook some fun new healthy treats together, swim, etc. What do you think? This is long. Thanks for reading it all!
        This sounds good!

I agree with Susan. You might work through FSR C/D again with the SC 1 plans and then teach the 8-week extension.

Were you using the SC R&S 1 plans? If not, you might want to drop back a bit with the various blacklines, games, and flash cards. All is scheduled for you. If you move through these, you might fill those gaps created by the other approach.

The physical "enrichment" sounds perfect for your boys. This is very classical! Physical strength, agility, and self-control have always been part of a classical education.

At 8 & 9, this is the ideal time for dad to take a large role, as with the Boy Scout style program you mentioned. This could see them through their teen years in invaluable ways. This also gives you a little time to refresh, and it is important to plan this into the overall picture.

Very good, Lillian!

Comment

Originally posted by LillianinAl View Post
          I meant to title this post "Where to begin", not "be". Oops 😃
          I like "Where to be!" ☺

Comment

Thanks to both of you! Yes, Cheryl, I'm thinking Monday nights with my girls would be nice during the Trail Life meeting! I think N is pretty solid on Math 1. I did follow the SC plans for the first half of math 1 last year in SC 1, so he has a strong foundation. I told their teacher about R & S math, and she liked and used it. But, she hasn't used the TM, but has taught them through games and bringing in other ways of teaching, in a group, and had them do the workbooks, trying to catch them up toward "grade level". I think with N, I will move quickly through the last part of Math 1, then slow down and teach more of the first half of Math 2. My younger guy, A, hasn't had the SC plans at all, and he has more holes to fill in. I want to use the black lines so they feel like they're doing something a bit different for math. It would be too discouraging for them to do the same book again! I will use the SC plans and TM's for both boys' math, at a bit quicker pace. For reading, I hadn't thought about FSR C, but will look at that. Mainly, they need more specific teaching of long vowels. Otherwise, they are ready for SC 2 phonics and reading. I'm also looking forward to new read Alouds and enrichment. Thanks! Lillian

Comment

Working...
            X