Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Should we move to Level C before completing Level B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we move to Level C before completing Level B?

So my son Jonny (who will be 5 in June) is doing Level B. He has mild ASD. We started in July last year and are on week 28. Lessons have been his favourite part of the day (excepting when we were doing Counting With Numbers...he really struggled with that).

The last 4-6 weeks have felt really chaotic at our house. As I'm trying to break down what exactly is going on I'm wondering whether (even though Jonny still struggles with fine motor and seems to have little glitches in his memory/speech?)...he might be better off moving up to Level C?

He's been losing interest in his lessons over the past little while, he told me it's his lawnmower tokens - that he's had enough of them, and the marshmallow reward that he gets at the end (I'm so proud of him that he could articulate this!). Yesterday and today we drew up a new token chart in lieu of lessons as we just accomplishing so little and I haven't had the space/time to sit down with some cardboard and coloured pencils. It's a tool shed, it has all his favourite things in the whole world, a ride on mower, garden tools, safety equipment (these are stuck into the tool shed)...super motivational for Jonny! We're not quite finished but he really wanted to do his lessons today despite all the time we spent on this I said ok because I had time that my daughter usually needs but didn't today and still he just wasn't engaging and later when cooking dinner the thought entered my head (which might be totally off base)...that maybe he's ready for more challenge - maybe he's ready to start learning to read?

I've noticed him having a deeper engagement with the Enrichment books we read with my 7yo and he is more and more frequently found 'reading', telling the story to himself. Last week when we went to Aldi and were waiting in line there was a flower stand that said 'Blossoms'. He sat down in front of it and traced over each letter saying its name, and for the 's's he made the sound of the letter cause he has trouble with the letter s but not the sound. He was really intent and when he got to the swirly B (he'd gone backwards) he jumped up and said 'it's an old-fashioned B Mummy!' I nearly fell over I didn't think he would recognise it for all the elaborate swirls. I was feeling so proud .

My hesitations are that he can't recite the alphabet correctly on his own yet. He can recite the days of the week but there is usually one day that eludes him at a particular time, for the past month that has been Thursday. He was really drawn to the months of the year and learnt them within days of me introducing them (whereas other things have been in painfully slow increments)...but there's always a month he struggles with. It was May, now it's July. Same with numbers, in fact we often get 5, 6, 7, J... and just can't remember '16'. He needs prompting with Bible verses. He can recite them but needs little prompts like 'leads' before 'He leads me' or else he just skips to 'He restores...' having said that he still mixes 'ear' and 'eye' up, which he has been doing since he was a young toddler (getting better but still struggles there)...so I'm wondering if these little glitches might continue to be there for a long while? Whether I should not hold him back on account of these?

I already have the Level C package here (I ordered it when I got my daughters MP2 to save on postage)...and I looked at the readiness assessment and he is well and truly making it but because of his slowness in fine motor and his words getting muddled with recitation etc I don't want to risk making things worse before getting advice. I asked him tonight whether he'd like to learn how to read and his face just lit up.

Thoughts anyone?
    Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
    Miriam 10yo
    Jonathan 7yo
    Elissa 4yo
    Thomas nearly 2yo
    Baby due 1st July 2020

Re: Should we move to Level C before completing Level B?

How exciting! Yes, if you want to begin with C now, feel free. You only had a few weeks to go anyway. He will cover days of the week, sound/letter association, recitations, and fine-motor skills in C.

My only suggestion is that you set your own standard, so you do not set a precedent, no matter how subtle, that whenever he is disgruntled you will let him give up. To avoid this possible misperception, you might link the change to something unrelated to his lack of interest. "Remember when you could read 'B' at the sign in Aldi? This gave me a clue. You are ready for new alphabet lessons!"

If you didn't want to stop B before finishing, you might opt to zoom ahead in B by saying, "We have only two things we are required to do first." Then select the remaining read-alouds and recitations, or whatever you deem most important to finish, and complete them.

Either way, this is very exciting.

Comment

Re: Should we move to Level C before completing Level B?

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      How exciting! Yes, if you want to begin with C now, feel free. You only had a few weeks to go anyway. He will cover days of the week, sound/letter association, recitations, and fine-motor skills in C.

My only suggestion is that you set your own standard, so you do not set a precedent, no matter how subtle, that whenever he is disgruntled you will let him give up. To avoid this possible misperception, you might link the change to something unrelated to his lack of interest. "Remember when you could read 'B' at the sign in Aldi? This gave me a clue. You are ready for new alphabet lessons!"

If you didn't want to stop B before finishing, you might opt to zoom ahead in B by saying, "We have only two things we are required to do first." Then select the remaining read-alouds and recitations, or whatever you deem most important to finish, and complete them.

Either way, this is very exciting.
      Thanks so much Cheryl!

I had a chat with Jonny today...your advice about framing it the right way was a helpful thing for me. He is excited, I am excited...it is so good . We'll probably start next week if I can squeeze making the finish up videos in on the weekend. Today we read the book about helping that was in the last few weeks. I knew he would love that one so we were not going to miss that (it's a good one). I realised that you're right, there's not a lot left, I guess I'd been envisioning us working through all the review too.

Thanks for your advice, have a good weekend
      Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
      Miriam 10yo
      Jonathan 7yo
      Elissa 4yo
      Thomas nearly 2yo
      Baby due 1st July 2020

Comment

Working...
      X