Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

    I posted on the corrections forum, but just a head-up, my daughter got a kick out of the mistake on page 84. Under the "answer these questions orally" section, both question 3 and 4 say "Little Bear" instead of Little Sal! Just thought I would let you know!
    Christine

    (2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

    #2
    Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

    Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    I posted on the corrections forum, but just a head-up, my daughter got a kick out of the mistake on page 84. Under the "answer these questions orally" section, both question 3 and 4 say "Little Bear" instead of Little Sal! Just thought I would let you know!
    Thank you!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

      Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      I posted on the corrections forum, but just a head-up, my daughter got a kick out of the mistake on page 84. Under the "answer these questions orally" section, both question 3 and 4 say "Little Bear" instead of Little Sal! Just thought I would let you know!
      Yes, thank you!

      Christine, did she catch this herself?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

        Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Yes, thank you!

        Christine, did she catch this herself?
        Yes, actually before me! She giggled and said "we aren't reading about Little Bear anymore!"
        Christine

        (2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

          Excellent. A budding editor!

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

            The MP1 Storytime Treasures guide has the same terminology. I just assumed it was referring to the Little Bear that is following its mother.... ? However, it would not be capitalized if that were the case. So the character is technically correct, though the proper name might not be.
            Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
            Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
            Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
            Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

            “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
            ~Pope St John Paul II

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

              Originally posted by Anita View Post
              The MP1 Storytime Treasures guide has the same terminology. I just assumed it was referring to the Little Bear that is following its mother.... ? However, it would not be capitalized if that were the case. So the character is technically correct, though the proper name might not be.
              I did actually wonder if the question was referring to the bear in the story. However, in Simply Classical, at this point we haven't even read about the bear(s). The first two questions call Sal "Little Sal" and the questions that have Little Bear, would make sense if Bear were simply changed to Sal.
              Christine

              (2019/2020)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

              Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                Originally posted by Anita View Post
                The MP1 Storytime Treasures guide has the same terminology. I just assumed it was referring to the Little Bear that is following its mother.... ? However, it would not be capitalized if that were the case. So the character is technically correct, though the proper name might not be.
                Actually, in the book itself (at least the edition we sell), the bear cub is referred to as "Little Bear," so the MP Storytime Treasures guide is correct.

                Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                I did actually wonder if the question was referring to the bear in the story. However, in Simply Classical, at this point we haven't even read about the bear(s). The first two questions call Sal "Little Sal" and the questions that have Little Bear, would make sense if Bear were simply changed to Sal.
                Hm, I re-read the story, and it looks like SC guide is correct too. The bear does appear in the assigned reading. I think the confusion is that Little Sal sat "in the middle of a large clump of bushes and ate" but the assignment is to read through the sentence that says "in the middle and ate...." The phrase "clump of bushes" is not in this second sentence, which refers to Little Bear, and that is where student should stop reading. Furthermore, only Little Bear ever "hustles" (question 4) in the assigned passage.

                Please double-check me and make sure this makes sense!
                Michael
                Memoria Press

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Actually, in the book itself (at least the edition we sell), the bear cub is referred to as "Little Bear," so the MP Storytime Treasures guide is correct.



                  Hm, I re-read the story, and it looks like SC guide is correct too. The bear does appear in the assigned reading. I think the confusion is that Little Sal sat "in the middle of a large clump of bushes and ate" but the assignment is to read through the sentence that says "in the middle and ate...." The phrase "clump of bushes" is not in this second sentence, which refers to Little Bear, and that is where student should stop reading. Furthermore, only Little Bear ever "hustles" (question 4) in the assigned passage.

                  Please double-check me and make sure this makes sense!
                  Ok, so now I feel dumb, reading a 1st grader's book! I thought it was a mistake when it said to read through... "sat down in the middle and ate blueberries". We only read where Little Sal sat down in the middle of a large clump of bushes and ate blueberries.....this is where we stopped!!

                  So, this was a case of MOM not following instructions......*embarrassed* LOL

                  ..and yes, in the book the bear cub is, in fact, referred to as Little Bear!

                  We can just make this conversation go away now! *giggling to herself*

                  I apparently did not have enough coffee that morning!
                  Christine

                  (2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                  Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                    Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    Ok, so now I feel dumb, reading a 1st grader's book! I thought it was a mistake when it said to read through... "sat down in the middle and ate blueberries". We only read where Little Sal sat down in the middle of a large clump of bushes and ate blueberries.....this is where we stopped!!

                    So, this was a case of MOM not following instructions......*embarrassed* LOL

                    ..and yes, in the book the bear cub is, in fact, referred to as Little Bear!

                    We can just make this conversation go away now! *giggling to herself*

                    I apparently did not have enough coffee that morning!
                    Don't feel bad! I glanced at the guide after your first post and also thought it was wrong. Apparently I hadn't had coffee yet either!
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                      It is good that this came up. Now I remember thinking, "Uh-oh. Little Bear/Little Sal so soon after our other Little Bear. This could be confusing." And it was!


                      For anyone reading here who has not yet reached this point in SC Storytime, it might be good to preface your reading of Blueberries for Sal with a brief discussion of people you know with the same names.

                      For language-impaired children, you might prep two or three same-name photo examples of family members, relatives, or people in your church directory. This is Mike and this is Mike, but they are two different people.

                      If the child has ever met someone with his same name, you can reference this too.

                      Then say that the little bear cub in Blueberries for Sal is sometimes called Little Bear, but this is a different Little Bear than in our earlier stories. (This could also become a good time to review same/different.)


                      Btw, no worries about the conversation. I'm just relieved it was not an actual error. We worked so hard to check and re-check such things!

                      Happy teaching ....

                      Thanks-
                      Cheryl

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                        adding to conversation as we moved forward in Little Bear. I'm pretty sure we finally, were reading to the correct stopping point, where the BEAR sits down.....

                        Anyway, on the learning how to do quotation marks, page 85, under "both" #2 says :" The birds flew away saying, Caw, Caw, Caw!". However, we have not read that yet. It is a few more pages after Little Bear sitting down in the middle and eating blueberries. I understand it probably doesn't matter, but my daughter did say "hey, we haven't read that yet!"

                        I just wanted to mention it and see if it was intentional!
                        Christine

                        (2019/2020)
                        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                        Previous Years
                        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                          For the record we stopped at little sal sitting in the bushes too.

                          I just guesstimated that were three readings so I stopped at Sal. Planned on stopping at the bear in the bushes and then finishing the book for the third reading.
                          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

                          DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

                          We've completed:
                          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                            Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                            adding to conversation as we moved forward in Little Bear. I'm pretty sure we finally, were reading to the correct stopping point, where the BEAR sits down.....

                            Anyway, on the learning how to do quotation marks, page 85, under "both" #2 says :" The birds flew away saying, Caw, Caw, Caw!". However, we have not read that yet. It is a few more pages after Little Bear sitting down in the middle and eating blueberries. I understand it probably doesn't matter, but my daughter did say "hey, we haven't read that yet!"

                            I just wanted to mention it and see if it was intentional!
                            You're right on both accounts.

                            The "cawing" occurs after Little Bear sat down right in the middle and ate blueberries, but because we're only addressing various examples of quotation marks throughout Blueberries for Sal, it may not matter to some students. In fact, when they encounter the example in the next section, they might recognize the quotation marks from the earlier example.

                            Even so, I'm impressed with your daughter's memory and with her attention to detail!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Heads up - SC2 Storytime Treasures, Blueberries for Sal, page 84

                              Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

                              Even so, I'm impressed with your daughter's memory and with her attention to detail!
                              Umm, yes the "attention to detail" can sometimes be...how do I describe it? Paralyzing? She was able to get past the 2 "errors", but I could see her visably concerned about them! ("Why would they put it there if we haven't read it?") Yes, she did ask! She was able to move on with her day though. There are other days where something happens that isn't exactly "right" and it's hard move past.
                              Christine

                              (2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                              Previous Years
                              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X