Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

OT: Non-Catholics, Fear Not about SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Non-Catholics, Fear Not about SC

It seems that the "Anxiety & the Saints" thread prompted some anxiety about the saints in other ways!

This morning I received an email inquiring if 1) MP is a Roman Catholic company and 2) SC is Roman Catholic. No and no. We serve ALL Christian families. We also receive (and attempt to honor) requests to secularize MP/SC for charter schools, Jewish families, etc.

Fear not.

The MP staff and SC moms who answered that post were simply generous people who share the faith of the one who posted.

For anyone else wondering about this, here is a more detailed explanation cut & pasted from my email response:

The moms & staff who responded to the saint question have similar theological backgrounds to the person who posed the question, so they responded.

We have intentionally chosen our SC Christian instructional materials and Bible story books to proclaim the One mediator between God and man, our Savior Jesus Christ. Rest assured, we try very hard to stay true to the historic faith as revealed in Holy Scriptures.

The only item that might surprise you in SC is the optional making of the cross in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We included this, because it is a "multi-sensory" way for all children to be reminded that God sent His Son down to earth to save them. Many Lutherans, Anglicans, and other "Protestants" find this to be a personal, tangible, comforting reminder. Even so, the MP/SC editor said, "Let's make this optional," so we did. MP is very sensitive to differences in customers and in the varied practices of our families.

One of the things that most impressed me when I first came to MP was that I could not tell "what" anyone was! Southern Baptist, Eastern Orthodox, "non-denominational" -- all in the same office working on the same classical Christian mission.

I hope that helps ease your mind. Thanks for the question.

Re: OT: Non-Catholics, Fear Not about SC

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

We have intentionally chosen our SC Christian instructional materials and Bible story books to proclaim the One mediator between God and man, our Savior Jesus Christ. Rest assured, we try very hard to stay true to the historic faith as revealed in Holy Scriptures.
    Cheryl,

I am glad that you are reassuring users of the SC curriculum that it remains true to the viewpoint MP has maintained, which is to express the aspects of the Christian faith to which we can all agree - those expressed in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds - while expecting parents to address the specific teachings of their family's faith.

However, the way you chose to word your statement above presents a problem for Catholics because of our beliefs about Mary. Do the SC materials actually present these sorts of specific teachings? Or were you just trying to say that the book remains focused on Bible stories?

I know I am not a regular SC poster, and I am not currently using the SC curriculum, but rather I am asking on behalf of a concerned parent who read your response.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Thanks, Sarah.

This is taken from the description of MP Christian Studies and serves as the model for all of SC as well. We attempt to leave any additional distinctions to families and schools in their own faith and practice:

Christian Studies

The Memoria Press Christian Studies program is designed to develop three things: Bible literacy, knowledge of church history, and a strong faith and Christian consciousness.

To achieve this, your student will study Scripture and Bible stories, church history, and Christian apologetics. Christian Studies is an academic course equal in content and examinations to all other areas of the curriculum.

Our beliefs are the Christian faith is true and that both reason and history support this belief. All time is dated from the birth of Jesus Christ, the central figure in human history. Our program helps students understand why this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        However, the way you chose to word your statement above presents a problem for Catholics because of our beliefs about Mary. Do the SC materials actually present these sorts of specific teachings? Or were you just trying to say that the book remains focused on Bible stories?
        Sarah,

The SC curriculum takes the same approach as MP as a whole (and Cheryl just posted the stance of MP in a prior post and I know you're well aware of it). All Christians agree that Christ is our mediator. Catholics also believe Mary has a special place (I believe you are referring to her being called "mediatrix"). As MP, we will teach children that Christ is our mediator. We will not preclude the Catholic position but neither will we address it.

I hope this helps.

In union in Christ,
        Paul
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you both for trying to clarify. I think the concern arose because of the very subtle difference between your statement:

"As MP, we will teach children that Christ is our mediator. We will not preclude the Catholic position but neither will we address it."

And Cheryl's:

"We have intentionally chosen our SC Christian instructional materials and Bible story books to proclaim the One mediator between God and man, our Savior Jesus Christ."

Your statement leaves room for the Catholic position, but Cheryl's does not. That is where the concern is - and therefore, a concern extended toward whether those sorts of nuances would be in the SC materials, which some parents may be nervous about "catching."

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            Thank you both for trying to clarify. I think the concern arose because of the very subtle difference between your statement:

"As MP, we will teach children that Christ is our mediator. We will not preclude the Catholic position but neither will we address it."

And Cheryl's:

"We have intentionally chosen our SC Christian instructional materials and Bible story books to proclaim the One mediator between God and man, our Savior Jesus Christ."

Your statement leaves room for the Catholic position, but Cheryl's does not. That is where the concern is - and therefore, a concern extended toward whether those sorts of nuances would be in the SC materials, which some parents may be nervous about "catching."

AMDG,
            Sarah
            I was hoping to avoid an esoteric discussion on Catholic doctrine on this forum! Oh well. Sarah, please see this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia that uses the same phrasing as Cheryl: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10118a.htm

And rest assured (Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, and everyone else!) that our programs do go through a revision process to make sure what we publish passes muster.

Paul
            Last edited by pschaeffer; 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM.
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Sounds good! Thanks!

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 8
              DD, 6
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

I really wanted to add to this since it was my post that caused the worry and because I appreciate MP. One reason I choose MP is because we are dealing with two religious backgrounds in our home and I didn't want a curriculum that leaned one way or the other. I think MP does a stellar job of walking that line, and I never worry about what is hiding in the notes that will put one side or the other in a better or worse light.

Also, with MP's special needs curriculum, forum, and moms, I always get very helpful advice. On other forums, the advice is often to do more testing (not that that is bad, but it's often the only advice) or drop Latin or something. The moms here are like-minded, helpful, and encouraging.
                Michelle in Central Tx
                DS 12 (4A modified), Ds 9 (4M), DS 5 (K)

Comment

Working...
                X