Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Reading!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading!

You guys!

I have been checking out beginning readers from the library for my daughter who is starting the first grade core in a few weeks. She's been reading to me and then I to her as part of our bedtime routine. I asked my oldest to do the same and gave him the option of Scamp and Tramp and the first Moose Moments book. He picked the first Moose Moments and then promptly lost his mind because the story was about a fancy cat. Apparently he doesn't like fancy cats.

Well, last night, he notices one of the books I checked out for my daughter -- Syd Hoff's Who Will Be My Friends? (it has a boy and a baseball on the front cover) -- and wanted to read it! So he did. I had to help with half of the words or so since he only knows short vowels, but he knew more than I expected and was not upset at what he didn't know. It was so exciting for us both!

Needless to say, I've spent a good amount of time reserving "my first" level readers from the library. Just wanted to share.
    Susan

2021-2022
    A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
    C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
    G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Re: Reading!

So exciting!

I think the biguest turning point in reading is when THEY figure out they can do it. Not when we get excited or tell them, "hey, you're doing it" or "you've gotten so much better". But when they prove to themselves that they can do it.

Be careful though with those library books. One day you'll catch him reading all by himself hidden away somewhere and you'll unglamorously smash / walk into a wall as your eyes pop out out.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      So exciting!

I think the biguest turning point in reading is when THEY figure out they can do it. Not when we get excited or tell them, "hey, you're doing it" or "you've gotten so much better". But when they prove to themselves that they can do it.

Be careful though with those library books. One day you'll catch him reading all by himself hidden away somewhere and you'll unglamorously smash / walk into a wall as your eyes pop out out.
      I'll happily walk into a wall for that any day!
      Susan

2021-2022
      A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
      C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
      G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
        You guys!

I have been checking out beginning readers from the library for my daughter who is starting the first grade core in a few weeks. She's been reading to me and then I to her as part of our bedtime routine. I asked my oldest to do the same and gave him the option of Scamp and Tramp and the first Moose Moments book. He picked the first Moose Moments and then promptly lost his mind because the story was about a fancy cat. Apparently he doesn't like fancy cats.

Well, last night, he notices one of the books I checked out for my daughter -- Syd Hoff's Who Will Be My Friends? (it has a boy and a baseball on the front cover) -- and wanted to read it! So he did. I had to help with half of the words or so since he only knows short vowels, but he knew more than I expected and was not upset at what he didn't know. It was so exciting for us both!

Needless to say, I've spent a good amount of time reserving "my first" level readers from the library. Just wanted to share.
        HOORAY!! Not only reading, but WANTING to read.

Boy with baseball, not fancy cats. Now we know.

Comment

Working...
        X