Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Level A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level A

Unlike five of her siblings, my 2 year old shows no signs of ADHD or executive function issues (Yeah!!). HOWEVER, she is far more advanced than I've ever seen in a two year old. I was planning to do Level A with her next year just because I'd like to have some guidance for one-on-one time with her, she ADORES books and I don't want to stifle her natural progress.

She just turned 2 in January, but when I looked at the readiness assessment she scored 100% on language skills and social/emotional skills. For cognitive skills she is no/emerging for shapes, colors and sorting by texture. I have seen her sort by color before so I know she knows how to sort and match but she can't name colors. I've never seen her try to cut with scissors or open a twist-off lid and I'm not sure she can walk on a balance beam or put together a 2-3 piece puzzle. Other than that, she's solid on fine motor and gross motor. She also understands that letters make sounds and that the words in books are related to those sounds. She looks at books and starts saying random sounds as if she's sounding out the words like her big brother/sisters who are learning to read. But she gets that there is a real connection here and showed signs of that understanding at 13 months

I'm definitely against rushing kids ahead of their emotional/developmental maturity (hence the reason my early reading just-turned 5 year old is doing SC 2 and 3 instead of jumping to MP1). With future moderation in mind, should I be considering Level B for my 2 year old instead?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Re: Level A

Jen, given her age, just teach from MP Preschool. This is essentially SC A minus special-needs wording!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Jen, given her age, just teach from MP Preschool. This is essentially SC A minus special-needs wording!
      Oh! Okay, I wasn't sure of the difference between them and I definitely wanted something gentle...can the regular preschool be stretched out longer than one year? I don't want her in Jr.K at age three...
      Jennifer

Comment

Of course! You can stretch it week by week or just teach as is and re-evaluate after the 34 weeks.

If you chose the latter, you might then repeat at a 2-day accelerated pace, and then she would be age-ready for B.

Besides, who doesn't want to reread Fuzzy Yellow Ducklings! For littles, SC A/Preschool is just cozy reading time.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          Of course! You can stretch it week by week or just teach as is and re-evaluate after the 34 weeks.

If you chose the latter, you might then repeat at a 2-day accelerated pace, and then she would be age-ready for B.

Besides, who doesn't want to reread Fuzzy Yellow Ducklings! For littles, SC A/Preschool is just cozy reading time.
          Yes! It was the perfect fit for my "advanced" 2/3 year old! After we were done with the book and she would pick it up, she would say "mommy, you didn't ask me to find the 2 dogs on each page, or ask me to giver the prompts for pointing things out!! (oh by the way, if I wouldn't have had the SCA "guide", I would have never noticed there were 2 dogs on each page!! - you'll see what I am talking about in the first few weeks!)

It really is a lovely program!
          Christine

(2022/2023)
          DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
          DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

My littlest finished the preschool program last year, is working through SC B this year and will move to jr. K next.

I chose this path exactly for the reasons you're discussing, slowing things down just a pinch.

So, she started preschool when she was 2. Turned 3 in december. Started SC B this fall, turned 4 in december. Will start jr. K as a 4 year old and finish as a 5 year old. And off to MP K she goes...

If you wanted an even slower pace you could take 2 years to do jr. K by doing SC B/ SC C. I chose to do SC B to begin working on letter sounds and numbers, but with no writing required. She'll start letter and number formation next year.
            DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
            DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
            DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Just want to chime in and say how much I love SC A. It is so wonderful -- the guidance on actively reading the books with the kiddos, especially. It also really stretches my son (who does have special needs so can't be compared to your daughter really) with the memory and fine motor work. My heart melts when he says the memory verses. He can't do them by himself yet, nor does he say them with proper articulation, but he does say them. He says "The Lord is my ship, not want." I would never have encouraged him to do this on my own, or the speaking in full sentences.
              Susan

2021-2022
              A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
              C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
              G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                My littlest finished the preschool program last year, is working through SC B this year and will move to jr. K next.

I chose this path exactly for the reasons you're discussing, slowing things down just a pinch.

So, she started preschool when she was 2. Turned 3 in december. Started SC B this fall, turned 4 in december. Will start jr. K as a 4 year old and finish as a 5 year old. And off to MP K she goes...

If you wanted an even slower pace you could take 2 years to do jr. K by doing SC B/ SC C. I chose to do SC B to begin working on letter sounds and numbers, but with no writing required. She'll start letter and number formation next year.
                That's exactly how it will go for us then -- her birthday is in January!
                Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X