Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Long-division challenges for almost 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-division challenges for almost 14-year old

My oldest is really trying but he just can't get long division. He's done long division before, but we went back for about a year to solidify his multiplication and short division and now he can't get the long division process straight. I've tried color-coding the steps, writing down an exemplar, putting a multiplication sign at the corner of the division bar, etc. but he's just not remembering what to do at each stage. Any ideas how to help him with this?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Re: Long-division challenges for almost 14-year old

Hi, Jen.

"Teach and Re-teach were in a boat, and Teach fell out. Who was left?" Yep. Re-teach.

(My husband and daughter can do Pete & Repeat for hours.)

The good news here is that he knew long division before. It just had not made its way to his long-term memory when you switched math tasks, so you need to re-teach.

We had a rhythmic clapped chant with our steps: Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Bring Down. We said it over and over. Whatever your steps, create something like this, say it over and over before starting, then work one step. Say it again to find the next step. Work that step. Say it again, and so on. Do this enough, and it should come back to him. At first, have him work only one step before reviewing the process. Gradually have him do two steps on his own, etc. You'll need to be there for every problem at first.

Some would say, "calculator," but he is only 14. He will gain confidence by conquering this. And this multi-step task is so helpful for creating executive function practice with other multi-step tasks. I would persevere if you have the time and if he has the ability to re-learn.

Comment

Re: Long-division challenges for almost 14-year old

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Hi, Jen.

"Teach and Re-teach were in a boat, and Teach fell out. Who was left?" Yep. Re-teach.

(My husband and daughter can do Pete & Repeat for hours.)

The good news here is that he knew long division before. It just had not made its way to his long-term memeac when you switched math tasks, so you need to re-teach.

We had a rhythmic clapped chant with our steps: Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Bring Down. We said it over and over. Whatever your steps, create something like this, say it over and over before starting, then work one step. Say it again to find the next step. Work that step. Say it again, and so on. Do this enough, and it should come back to him. At first, have him work only one step before reviewing the process. Gradually have him do two steps on his own, etc. You'll need to be there for every problem at first.

Some would say, "calculator," but he is only 14. He will gain confidence by conquering this. And this multi-step task is so helpful for creating executive function practice with other multi-step tasks. I would persevere if you have the time and if he has the ability to re-learn.

I love this idea! Thank you so much!!
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8