Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Coordinating all the SC2 pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coordinating all the SC2 pieces

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to see how everyone was "doing" SC2 and let you know how things are working for us. We used SC2, as written for about 10 weeks. I look back on those 10 weeks and almost can't believe where we are now!

I bought pretty much everything from SC2. I have both writing editions, and both copybook editions. I think in the early weeks we were able to see that she could actually complete both books each week. I will admit, I was a little overwhelmed in the beginning, but I'm really happy for the multiple choices, as she has changed over the course of the year! We discovered she was was able to do all the sentences 1 day and picture the next, allowing for both books to be completed in 4 days, actually! Around week 10 though, I noticed that she was really not progressing in her reading. It is funny, because she can probably read at a much higher level than her phonics level, but she was making too many frequent mistakes. Also, if I took words out of context, put them on a notecard and had her read them, my "correct" and "wrong" pile were never the same. I suspected dyslexia (although now I'm not so sure) and we decided to give All About Reading a try. We are now working our way through level 2. I wouldn't say we breezed through level 1, but we did finish in a few months. We decided on All About Reading because Barton was not locally available and she needed help, NOW, not in a few years when maybe I could learn it myself! It was also cheaper than a tutor. It is working for HER, but if you can stay with SC2 reading/phonics/spelling, I wouldn't even give AAR a thought! It really is laborious! (It isn't hard to set up or work with, but it is time consuming!)

Anyway, this brought about a new challenge of how I was going to get everything done! In January we also began Storytime Treasures. So, now I was wondering if we would be able to keep up with both of the writing books AND now STorytime treasures, plus doing AAR AND oh we added AAS as well. (it turns out AAS was a waste for us! She can spell all the words in that level already!!!! ).

So, here is how it is working for the most part:

I try to make sure she is reading SOMETHING everyday. 1 day it might be the Bible text, 1 day it might be our Catechism lessons (she is making her 1st Holy Communion this year), 1 day might be the scheduled AAR reader (there is only actual reading every other lesson or every 2-3 lessons), 1 day might be the Storytime Treasure book, giving us something to read every day! We also make sure she is writing something everyday. So, we are alternating the writing edition and the Bible edition at this point. I figure this summer we can go back and work on some of the "not done" ones or not do them and be ok with that as well! She's doing REALLY well with the Storytime treasures. She loves it! We are several weeks ahead of the lesson plans, as we just finished the second Little Bear book! We will start Caps for Sale next week! It's been fun watching her through the Little Bear books. I have "caught" her not answering a question in a complete sentence, but then quickly correcting herself and forming a complete sentence! (P.S. - we spend Fridays completing anything not done or mostly reviewing phonics rules, math facts, etc).

This summer I plan to use the cursive Copybook and go back through the SC2 spelling. She can spell a lot of those words, but we haven't come across any non phonetic words yet and I know they are in the SC spelling. We plan to hopefully, work through All About Reading Level 3 this summer and then do the entire SC3 core, as written! (crossing fingers!)

She is finished with R&S 1....so I'm not quite sure what to do a this point! I don't really want to buy R&S 2 yet, but it's a long time between now and August. She could probably spend a few weeks with the practice sheets and making sure those facts are solid. (she probably has at handful not mastered in the 1-10 area).

We did find we don't need to read the enrichment 4 x per week, but we have my son's SCC books to balance the week out. We do her enrichment 2 days and his 2 days!

Other than that, I really can't believe where we are today, and where we were in August! Thank you Cheryl for your wonderfully crafted curriculum!

(P.S> - I have been "finding" her with a book in her hand, reading a LOT to herself!)
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: Coordinating all the SC2 pieces

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

(P.S> - I have been "finding" her with a book in her hand, reading a LOT to herself!)
    This is wonderful!!

Thank you, Christine. Yes, she needs some daily arithmetic. If you have enough leftover blacklines to provide even one per day, this might take you through the gap.

Comment

Working...
    X