Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

progression of grade levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    progression of grade levels

    Where would a student be placed into the standard track after completion of SC2? MP 2? What would need to be completed for her to be ready to integrate back to the standard core at MP 2 after the completion of SC2?

    My dd 6.5, very bright but wiggly and inattentive and possibly mildly dyslexic, seems ready to start SC2 right now, as the standard MP1 core may be a bit too much for her. However, she is on grade level for Math. I don't want to wait until the fall to start her in MP1..she needs something to do now. So I thought SC2 would be a good inbetween. I'm just not sure what to do with her after that. Ideally I'd like her to move back to the pacing of the standard tracks..and I think this is possible after another year of maturity.

    She will be 7 at the end of July.
    Katie

    2019/20 6th year with MP
    DS 15: 10th- mix of MP and co-op
    DD 12: 7th with MPOA Lit
    DD 9: 4th- mix of 3M/3A
    Twin DD's 6: 1st

    #2
    Re: progression of grade levels

    Good morning!

    Yes, MP 2 could be a good target placement for her after SC 2. Her needs sound mild, so she might enter MP 2 "ready to go."

    Two tips:
    1. Customize her math. Raise her to the level she needs. You will see a Customize button. This will allow you to select upward. Costs re-calculate for you, if any changes occur up or down.

    2. Do all of the possible writing in SC 2, SC Writing Bible and Read-Aloud, along with SC Storytime. Her skills will be stronger in both comprehension and composition, if you can do this.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: progression of grade levels

      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Good morning!

      Yes, MP 2 could be a good target placement for her after SC 2. Her needs sound mild, so she might enter MP 2 "ready to go."

      Two tips:
      1. Customize her math. Raise her to the level she needs. You will see a Customize button. This will allow you to select upward. Costs re-calculate for you, if any changes occur up or down.

      2. Do all of the possible writing in SC 2, SC Writing Bible and Read-Aloud, along with SC Storytime. Her skills will be stronger in both comprehension and composition, if you can do this.
      Cheryl,

      Thank you! This is excellent. She has just begun Part 2 of R&S 1 so it works out pretty nicely with the SC2 plans.

      So you suggest to do both the SC Bible and Read-Aloud together? Or one and then the other? Am I understanding correctly that for the Read-Aloud writing, we will need those books listed? I don't think the additional Read Aloud package is in the budget, but it seems I can find most at our local library. I am assuming the scheduled read alouds are scheduled the same time as the Read Aloud writing assignments, correct? Lastly, she is already almost through NAC1. It wouldn't hurt for her to go through it again, but she might balk at that idea. How do the cursive practice sheets work/scheduled? Would just completing those be enough cursive practice until she gets to NACII in 2nd grade?

      Thanks for all your help!
      Katie

      2019/20 6th year with MP
      DS 15: 10th- mix of MP and co-op
      DD 12: 7th with MPOA Lit
      DD 9: 4th- mix of 3M/3A
      Twin DD's 6: 1st

      Comment


        #4
        Re: progression of grade levels

        Originally posted by Katie View Post
        Cheryl,

        Thank you! This is excellent. She has just begun Part 2 of R&S 1 so it works out pretty nicely with the SC2 plans.

        So you suggest to do both the SC Bible and Read-Aloud together? Or one and then the other? Am I understanding correctly that for the Read-Aloud writing, we will need those books listed? I don't think the additional Read Aloud package is in the budget, but it seems I can find most at our local library. I am assuming the scheduled read alouds are scheduled the same time as the Read Aloud writing assignments, correct? Lastly, she is already almost through NAC1. It wouldn't hurt for her to go through it again, but she might balk at that idea. How do the cursive practice sheets work/scheduled? Would just completing those be enough cursive practice until she gets to NACII in 2nd grade?

        Thanks for all your help!

        I just looked at your signature. You have two more full-time students and younger twin tornados! Maybe you would be better served to choose only 2 of the 3 writing options. If she already completed MP Storytime, then you might omit SC Storytime. If not, then omit either Bible or Read-Aloud writing. You will want to be able to finish whatever you start.

        Read-Alouds
        Yes, these are studied each week to accompany the writing. You will need to do a little planning, if you do not purchase the set. (Although if you do purchase the set, at least the books will be good for including your 4yos!) Without the set, just arrange ahead of time for weekly reservations from the library and purchase remaining books used ahead of time. Everything works together.

        Cursive
        If she already forms her letters reasonably well, you can use the cursive sheets this year, rather than repeating NAC 1. You will just need to schedule these ahead of time by writing Week 1, Week 2, on top of the sheets to ration them for weekly practice ... or use whatever method works for you.

        A Safety Net
        Know that we provide an 8-week review inside your SC 2 Curriculum Guide, so if needed, you could teach the Bible Writing at that time -- in addition to reviewing her phonics, etc. -- before she moves to MP 2.


        Feel free to follow up. It is good to plan it all now. Then it will be smooth sailing when you begin!

        Thanks-
        Cheryl

        Comment


          #5
          Re: progression of grade levels

          Another option for cursive would be to get the SC Copybook in cursive if its available.

          Or you could accomplish the same thing with the Start write software. This is my plan for our summer cursive reinforcement.

          Don't forget, you will need the Fairy Tales CD for several weeks of the SC Writing lessons.
          Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

          DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
          DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
          DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

          Comment


            #6
            Re: progression of grade levels

            Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            Another option for cursive would be to get the SC Copybook in cursive if its available.

            Or you could accomplish the same thing with the Start write software. This is my plan for our summer cursive reinforcement.

            Don't forget, you will need the Fairy Tales CD for several weeks of the SC Writing lessons.
            Smacking my head! I have the StartWrite Cd. Why didn't I think of that?! Thank you!

            So the Fairy Tales CD isn't included in SC2? Are these the scheduled lessons or the supplemental lessons?
            Katie

            2019/20 6th year with MP
            DS 15: 10th- mix of MP and co-op
            DD 12: 7th with MPOA Lit
            DD 9: 4th- mix of 3M/3A
            Twin DD's 6: 1st

            Comment


              #7
              Re: progression of grade levels

              Animal Tales CD is needed for Read-Aloud Writing, but this CD comes with your SC 2 Core.

              Just one caveat with using StartWrite as a full-year program: We created those Cursive Sheets to practice each letter, practice connections, and build words. It might be worth purchasing those to save yourself the time.

              I love StartWrite as a supplement, as Colomama plans to use it, but for a full year, you might want something carefully laid out ahead of time. Your call on this!

              Comment


                #8
                Re: progression of grade levels

                Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                Animal Tales CD is needed for Read-Aloud Writing, but this CD comes with your SC 2 Core.

                Just one caveat with using StartWrite as a full-year program: We created those Cursive Sheets to practice each letter, practice connections, and build words. It might be worth purchasing those to save yourself the time.

                I love StartWrite as a supplement, as Colomama plans to use it, but for a full year, you might want something carefully laid out ahead of time. Your call on this!
                Animal tales cd a HUGE hit in our house!!
                Christine

                (2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: progression of grade levels

                  I agree, a full year of make your own worksheets is too much.

                  Both of my kids will be done with NAC1 this spring. I am planning on using the cursive SC copybook for review through the summer with Start write as supplement as needed.

                  The CD will come with the package. Didnt know what all you were planning piecemeal ing from the library. It might be listed as a read aloud because that's how it is used in the curriculum.

                  Maybe I missed this, why not just have her move on to NAC2 while doing SC2? Are you trying to not have to adjust things in second grade? Maybe just upping her to the next level of cursive now is easier.
                  Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

                  DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                  DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                  DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: progression of grade levels

                    Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    Animal tales cd a HUGE hit in our house!!
                    Here too. A side story, in case you have heard the track "Giggly Biggly":

                    My daughter Michelle worked at the nursing home yesterday. One of her favorite residents became "King" for the Valentine's Party but, hard of hearing, he was roaming somewhat aimlessly in the other direction in his wheelchair. He wore his big king crown as he wandered.

                    Somebody told Michelle to go get him.

                    This resident loves music, so using her Giggly Biggly melody, she spontaneously modified the words and sang out loudly, "Oh, Mis-ter KI-ing. You're going to a PAR-ty! Your presence is reQUES-ted. Here's your invit-TA-tion! You're going to a PAR-ty. Your presence is reQUES-ted...."

                    I am certain he had never heard the Animal Tales CD, but they both smiled broadly, as she wheeled him in the direction of the "royal gathering" in the activities room.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: progression of grade levels

                      Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                      I agree, a full year of make your own worksheets is too much.

                      Both of my kids will be done with NAC1 this spring. I am planning on using the cursive SC copybook for review through the summer with Start write as supplement as needed.

                      The CD will come with the package. Didnt know what all you were planning piecemeal ing from the library. It might be listed as a read aloud because that's how it is used in the curriculum.

                      Maybe I missed this, why not just have her move on to NAC2 while doing SC2? Are you trying to not have to adjust things in second grade? Maybe just upping her to the next level of cursive now is easier.
                      Good point. There are two versions of NAC 2, so you might choose the one not listed in the MP 2 Core.

                      Best options for her cursive seem to be:
                      1. Cursive Practice sheets taught in order, SC Copybook Cursive, supplemented by Startwrite if needed.
                      2. NAC 2, if you think she is ready.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: progression of grade levels

                        Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                        Good point. There are two versions of NAC 2, so you might choose the one not listed in the MP 2 Core.

                        Best options for her cursive seem to be:
                        1. Cursive Practice sheets taught in order, SC Copybook Cursive, supplemented by Startwrite if needed.
                        2. NAC 2, if you think she is ready.
                        I went ahead and kept the NAC1 book and Cursive Practice sheets in the package. Good point about making cursive sheets for an entire year. That might fizzle quickly unless I do it all ahead of time..which isn't likely One of my twin tornados has excellent manuscript already, I may have her start Book 1 next fall, maybe not..who knows. But I'll have one waiting for the next in line. I went ahead and switched the Copybook to the cursive version too. So I think with the practice sheets, the copybook, and the option to make more from the software..we should be good to go...Thank you!

                        Holding off on NAC 2 until her letter formation is a bit neater. She seems to be ambidextrous. I had thought by now she would have grown out of switching hands. Although with cursive she does seem to favor her right hand but has a death grip on the pen.. which we are working on by using grips. When she prints, she sometimes switches back and forth between hands. Same with coloring, eating, cutting, brushing teeth, etc. The letter formation with her left hand usually is correct and her pencil grip is better. With her right, she often flips her numbers and several letters..but still favors this hand. She used to have mirror image cursive letters. I don't see this much anymore. I would ask her to write her name with her left and and it would usually be formed properly. However with her right, it would look like you were holding it up to a mirror. It was very interesting to watch. When she is simply copying, there is no flip. I'm sure all this will continue to straighten out with more practice and maturity.

                        Thanks for sharing that fun moment about your daughter. She seems lovely!

                        I am looking forward to starting this package with my daughter. I just placed the order! Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice!
                        Katie

                        2019/20 6th year with MP
                        DS 15: 10th- mix of MP and co-op
                        DD 12: 7th with MPOA Lit
                        DD 9: 4th- mix of 3M/3A
                        Twin DD's 6: 1st

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: progression of grade levels

                          Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          Here too. A side story, in case you have heard the track "Giggly Biggly":

                          My daughter Michelle worked at the nursing home yesterday. One of her favorite residents became "King" for the Valentine's Party but, hard of hearing, he was roaming somewhat aimlessly in the other direction in his wheelchair. He wore his big king crown as he wandered.

                          Somebody told Michelle to go get him.

                          This resident loves music, so using her Giggly Biggly melody, she spontaneously modified the words and sang out loudly, "Oh, Mis-ter KI-ing. You're going to a PAR-ty! Your presence is reQUES-ted. Here's your invit-TA-tion! You're going to a PAR-ty. Your presence is reQUES-ted...."

                          I am certain he had never heard the Animal Tales CD, but they both smiled broadly, as she wheeled him in the direction of the "royal gathering" in the activities room.
                          I love Michelle <3
                          Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
                          Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
                          Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
                          Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

                          “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                          ~Pope St John Paul II

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X