Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Keeping word cards straight for multiple children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping word cards straight for multiple children

I was using the MPK flashcards for my 8 and 6 year olds but we were really inconsistent with them. We're getting back on track now, but the cards don't cover all previously learned words, a level of review that I think my son needs and my daughter would benefit from. I'm planning on using the SC1 style word cards with them instead. Here's my quandary: I made a set of SC1 style word cards for my almost five year old who is just starting Book B. My 8 and 6 year olds are about halfway through Book C. I originally thought I would just make cards all the way through Book C and put a divider tab in to show where my youngest should stop when we review. BUT, today I discovered that my 8 and 6 year olds have mastered/need to work on different cards from each other and there is overlap between what is mastered/needed by who so my original tab idea isn't going to work. I'd prefer not to make three separate sets of cards so I thought I'd see if anyone else had a simple solution that I'm missing -- before I devote most of an afternooon to this, lol!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Re: Keeping word cards straight for multiple children

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    I was using the MPK flashcards for my 8 and 6 year olds but we were really inconsistent with them. We're getting back on track now, but the cards don't cover all previously learned words, a level of review that I think my son needs and my daughter would benefit from. I'm planning on using the SC1 style word cards with them instead. Here's my quandary: I made a set of SC1 style word cards for my almost five year old who is just starting Book B. My 8 and 6 year olds are about halfway through Book C. I originally thought I would just make cards all the way through Book C and put a divider tab in to show where my youngest should stop when we review. BUT, today I discovered that my 8 and 6 year olds have mastered/need to work on different cards from each other and there is overlap between what is mastered/needed by who so my original tab idea isn't going to work. I'd prefer not to make three separate sets of cards so I thought I'd see if anyone else had a simple solution that I'm missing -- before I devote most of an afternooon to this, lol!
    I don't have any solutions for you. Sorry. I think each child would benefit from their own review box. We do ours Simply Charlotte Mason style. There's a tab for daily review, tabs for odd or even days, tabs for each day of the month, and tabs for numbers 1-20 (roughly the days of school in a month). So each day we do the daily cards, either the odd or even cards, the day of the week, and the number of days we're on. The word cards move up and down in the box depending on what each child needs to work on.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
      If you have not yet made three separate sets of cards, you could try our children's "baggie" system. For both LC 1 and arithmetic, I labeled ziploc sandwich baggies His/Her/Both. I kept the cards in a recipe box.

If you don't like the bulk (or slippery-ness) of baggies, you could use a recipe box with 5 tabs:
      Child A
      Child B
      Child C
      All Three Still Need to Master
      All Three Mastered -- Need to Review

For overlapping cards, you could mark with a pencil in the card's corner A/B, B/C, or A/C, rather than create three more tabs for these ever-changing categories.

If handled in a spirit of service, you could create a Phonics Team of the three students with a "contest" to see if all cards could be transferred into the Mastered group by June 1 (or whenever). Then they might even quiz each other to move this along.

Another tip:
      You might want to keep true phonics cards (blends, word families) in patterns, rather than scramble everything prematurely. The students need to know that these are not sight words, but words to be decoded. You could mark sight words with a red dot and keep these separate.

You seem to be an efficiency expert, so I'm sure you will create something that will work!

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        If you have not yet made three separate sets of cards, you could try our children's "baggie" system. For both LC 1 and arithmetic, I labeled ziploc sandwich baggies His/Her/Both. I kept the cards in a recipe box.

If you don't like the bulk (or slippery-ness) of baggies, you could use a recipe box with 5 tabs:
        Child A
        Child B
        Child C
        All Three Still Need to Master
        All Three Mastered -- Need to Review

For overlapping cards, you could mark with a pencil in the card's corner A/B, B/C, or A/C, rather than create three more tabs for these ever-changing categories.

If handled in a spirit of service, you could create a Phonics Team of the three students with a "contest" to see if all cards could be transferred into the Mastered group by June 1 (or whenever). Then they might even quiz each other to move this along.

Another tip:
        You might want to keep true phonics cards (blends, word families) in patterns, rather than scramble everything prematurely. The students need to know that these are not sight words, but words to be decoded. You could mark sight words with a red dot and keep these separate.

You seem to be an efficiency expert, so I'm sure you will create something that will work!

Cheryl
        LOL -- more like "expert at trial and error until something works"!

I like the coding idea. I have colored Frixion (heat-erasable) pens that I could use to color code them based on where the kids are now and those would allow me to add/remove dots super-quick as things change. I think I'll keep E's cards separate since she can get turned around if things aren't straightforward and set; but the coding would work well for the other two. Thank you for the tip about marking the sight word cards separately -- that will be a huge help as they review!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
        MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
        MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
        As above, plus:
        MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
        MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Working...
        X