Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Wanting to switch over to MP next year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to switch over to MP next year

I need curriculum advice for next year. I have 9th grader with convergence Insufficiency. He has had therapy and has made tremendous progress but I still need to adjust the level of reading material and workload. He finished the book of the ancient world last semester as part of his history credit. Which geography do I use to round it out?
    Any advice on what to use for next year would be helpful too.

This what he is currently doing for school.

Mr. Q's Life Science with Biology 101 videos.

Spanish for Children A

We are taking a break from math for a few weeks. He is in
    Pre- algebra. We are using MEP with extra worksheets off the internet. I have two girls as well a 10th grader and a 6th grader. I want to use as much of MP as possible because I need the lesson plans. I have an auto immune disease and don't have the energy to make my own anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wanting to switch over to MP next year

Welcome!

First, to your history & geography question. I asked MP's Curriculum Director, Tanya, because she is more knowledgeable about the upper levels than I am. Tanya said that Book of the Ancient World is the Dorothy Mills book, used in 8th grade Christian studies, will count as 1/2 history credit. For geography, if you want to tie his studies to the ancient world, you can teach Geography I, which covers the Middle East, Europe, and North Africa.

If you wanted a broader geography course, you could select Geography III, which is more involved. Geography I involves only mapping; Geography III includes mapping, reading material, comprehension questions, and more. Each unit focuses on a different area of the world. You could select only a few Geography III units, if you wanted to use this.

Second, to your desire to add more MP components. If you did not want to embark on a full Classical Core, you can select anything you would like, pair the topics with Individual Lesson Plans, and begin! Unless you really want to continue in Spanish A, you might find introductory Latin more universally useful and more directly linked to your ancient world studies. We can help with placement, if you are interested.

Let us know if we can help in any other ways. If you like to read, we also recommend this resource which is available as an e-book, Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Comment

Cheryl,
      Thank you so much for your reply. I have read Simply Classical and that's what led me to MP. Lovely book! After looking at the website I don't think he would be able to attempt a full core next year. With regards to Latin, I see the value of the language. However we've tried several Latin programs but were not successful. Spanish is going well so we will stick with that for the time being. I think we will try geography 1 to finish out the the history credit for this year. I have few questions for next year though. Would this work?

History: Book of the Ancient Greeks first semester and Book of the Ancient Romans second semester. Adding in videos we have on hand.

Literature: He requested to read Aesop's Fables and Greek Myths. I will combine him with his sister who will be in 7 th grade. I would also like to do a study on the Odyssey and a Shakespeare play.

Christian Studies: Should we start with Christian Studies 1? I think the Golden Children's Bible will be easier for him to read or should we try Christian Studies IV ?

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Nothing new under the sun View Post
        I think we will try geography 1 to finish out the the history credit for this year. I have few questions for next year though. Would this work?

History: Book of the Ancient Greeks first semester and Book of the Ancient Romans second semester. Adding in videos we have on hand.

Literature: He requested to read Aesop's Fables and Greek Myths. I will combine him with his sister who will be in 7 th grade. I would also like to do a study on the Odyssey and a Shakespeare play.

Christian Studies: Should we start with Christian Studies 1? I think the Golden Children's Bible will be easier for him to read....

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, with Christian Studies I, this looks full and well-rounded! I'm excited for you.

Comment

Working...
        X