Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

How long Does Simply Classical B take? And will it be a good fit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long Does Simply Classical B take? And will it be a good fit?

Hi,
    I am planning out next year. This year we are gradually adding more Memoria Press prodcuts after realzing sticking to strictly Charlotte Mason was not working for us. I will have a 2nd grader, 1st grader, and a young 4 with speech delays. My four year old has an interest in counting but still can't get the chronological sequence (he names numbers out of sequence when coutning), he has a long attention span (he'll let me read to him for up to 30 minutes), his motor skills are great (he tries coloring in the lines). He has no letter or number recognition and goes to speech therapy twice a week. I was thinking Simply Classical B would be a better fit than Jr.k. I am trying to make sure my plans are practical managing all those ages; so I was wondering how long Simply Classical B takes each day? And if you think it would be a good fit?
    In Christ,
    Alexandra
    Abel (7) MP 2nd/ Lydia (5) MP 1st/ James (4) MP Jr. K/ Micah (2)/ Nathanael born 9-13-2017!

Re: How long Does Simply Classical B take? And will it be a good fit?

Alexandra,

You can find a readiness assessment for each level of Simply Classical on the Home Page of the website. That might give you a more precise idea of placement.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

Hi! I am working through Level B with my almost 4 year old. (I would say she is more neurotypical, but showing some SPD/ADD tendencies). However, her skills are more advanced than B. That being said, it is much more appropriate for her than Jr. K. There is so much in B that will help your son's speech, beyond the numbers and letters. If his fine motor skills are great, that will be a big help. I am "fighting" my child to do the writing and coloring. It's ok if some things are "easier" because some things may be more difficult.

Cheryl will chime in more with B, I'm sure, but I wanted to let you know what I found out about B.

It's start very gentle with only coloring in a coloring book the number and letter for the day. My daughter loves the wiki stick/play dough suggestions. I've been able to do those with her sitting next to me, while I work on Simply Classical C with my older son. There is 1 craft (a letter craft) planned each week. The plans are laid out for 4 days, but you could probably do them in 3. There is a bit of repetition, which is necessary for many struggling kiddos. Again, mine is a little more advanced, so we move a little more quickly. Every day there is a Bible coloring page, poetry, a book to read, scripture verses, etc. I would definitely do the assessment, but based on doing Simply B and C this year, B sounds about right. Simply Classical B and C are basically Jr. K, split in two years. In Jr. K, there are two crafts. They break up the letter and literature crafts between B and C.

We can finish B in 30ish minutes, depending on the craft. It's also totally hard to say how long it takes become sometimes I am tandem teaching B and C.

If you have 1st and 2nd grade, have you looked to see what grade at MP they might be? Many new to MP folks need K for their 1st graders. Lastly, you can get grade specific math, writing, phonics/reading and then you can combine for Enrichment. If you are ALSO doing level B, you might have to choose each week what enrichment is going to work for your family. It's OK, if you don't do the letter craft one week! :-) I actually bought All About Reading Pre-Reading student book (only the student book, not the program). It has upper case and lower case letters and you do different things to the letters (glue google eyes, add some tin foil for a moon, add a white stripe to the letter s, etc. I alternate Simply Classical C, B and the letters from All About Reading -Pre-reading.

We'll be done with B (no younger children!) at the end of the semester!

So, in summary, you could easily do 1st, 2nd and B - but you might have to do some picking and choosing with the enrichments.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Thank you howiecram; your reply was very helpful!
        Abel (7) MP 2nd/ Lydia (5) MP 1st/ James (4) MP Jr. K/ Micah (2)/ Nathanael born 9-13-2017!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
          Alexandra,

You can find a readiness assessment for each level of Simply Classical on the Home Page of the website. That might give you a more precise idea of placement.

Blessings,
          Michelle T
          Thank you! I found the accessment. I think I will print it out this spring right before I order, because I know kids can change quickly. I will just need to see if the Simply Classical B or Jr. is more appropriate. I guess my biggest concern is that the Jr. K may have too much writing.
          -Alexandra
          Last edited by AlexandraMarie; 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexandraMarie View Post
            Thank you! I found the accessment. I think I will print it out this spring right before I order, because I know kids can change quickly. I will just need to see if the Simply Classical B or Jr. is more appropriate. I guess my biggest concern is that the Jr. K may have too much writing.
            -Alexandra
            Another option would be to complete the assessment now. This is why:

1. If you are concerned at all about his speech delays, counting, or any other area, you'll have a handy list of skills to target.
            2. If he already scores 100% on everything in the B assessment, you'll know Level C or JrK could be more appropriate!

A few other thoughts, if you would like to follow up:

1. Which numbers does he confuse? Is he only counting 1-10 or higher than this? If only 1-10, you can practice this now with simple counting books to tie number concepts to rote counting.
            2. Do his speech delays seem isolated to speech, or do you notice other "soft signs" of differences when compared to your other children? If the latter, you might want to begin with SC Level B or C when the time comes. You might also want to consider A or B now, so he receives structured practice in readiness skills.

Keep us posted --

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

A few other thoughts, if you would like to follow up:

1. Which numbers does he confuse? Is he only counting 1-10 or higher than this? If only 1-10, you can practice this now with simple counting books to tie number concepts to rote counting.
              2. Do his speech delays seem isolated to speech, or do you notice other "soft signs" of differences when compared to your other children? If the latter, you might want to begin with SC Level B or C when the time comes. You might also want to consider A or B now, so he receives structured practice in readiness skills.

Cheryl
              Hi Cheryl,
              Those are great things to consider. Today when he counted to ten he left out 6, and that was the best he ever did. He asks me to count things all day! For the most part he is on target with kids his age as far as relationally and attention wise. He sits in the PreK Sunday school class and cooperates. He helps around the house and is a good listener. He has trouble with simple puzzles, colors, and recognition of things. So it is hard to know if this is normal or not. The Speech is very far behind. If he slows down and thinks about what he is saying he can say an isolated word or two very well, but he wants to tell full stories and jokes all the time and no one understands. SO I am having a hard time really knowing where he is at; I know for a fact he is all together behind my other two . I will print out the assessments and see where we are at.
              -Alexandra
              Last edited by AlexandraMarie; 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexandraMarie View Post
                Hi Cheryl,
                Those are great things to consider. Today when he counted to ten he left out 6, and that was the best he ever did. He asks me to count things all day! For the most part he is on target with kids his age as far as relationally and attention wise. He sits in the PreK Sunday school class and cooperates. He helps around the house and is a good listener. He has trouble with simple puzzles, colors, and recognition of things. So it is hard to know if this is normal or not. The Speech is very far behind. If he slows down and thinks about what he is saying he can say an isolated word or two very well, but he wants to tell full stories and jokes all the time and no one understands. SO I am having a hard time really knowing where he is at; I know for a fact he is all together behind my other two . I will print out the assessments and see where we are at.
                -Alexandra
                Alexandra,

Based on the bold items, I would begin with A now, if you can. A is inexpensive ($30 for the guide; find any books you do not have through online used bookstores or the library). Level A does not take long to teach, yet focuses on speech, language, early cognitive skills, shapes & colors, and vocabulary. No writing is involved at all. Predictable repetition and modeling through the little books will help build good speech and language. We have heard that speech & language therapists love this program!

After A, you could re-assess.

The wonderful thing is that he is so cooperative and attentive! This will help him progress much more quickly, no matter what you decide.

Thanks-
                Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  Alexandra,

Based on the bold items, I would begin with A now, if you can. A is inexpensive ($30 for the guide; find any books you do not have through online used bookstores or the library). Level A does not take long to teach, yet focuses on speech, language, early cognitive skills, shapes & colors, and vocabulary. No writing is involved at all. Predictable repetition and modeling through the little books will help build good speech and language. We have heard that speech & language therapists love this program!

After A, you could re-assess.

The wonderful thing is that he is so cooperative and attentive! This will help him progress much more quickly, no matter what you decide.

Thanks-
                  Cheryl
                  Just want to chime in and say I am doing level A with my 3 year old (4 in May) with a very significant speech delay and I really like it. It is very simple - takes about 30 minutes if we do everything - but it really does build his vocabulary and basic skills like counting, shapes, colors, big/small, etc. Basically we sing the alphabet then read a board book, and during the book I am asking questions, getting him to point at things, and trying to get him to speak in sentences (at least modeling for him). There is usually a fine motor activity (sounds like this would be easy for him), some type of math activity (so far for us mostly counting). The rest varies by week - some type of gross motor activity (this week it was leaping, I would have never thought to teach a child to leap) and often some enrichment like simple childhood songs. I do see improvement in his language ability. He also goes to speech twice a week.
                  Susan

2018-2019
                  A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
                  C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
                  G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Doing SC B with my barely 4 year old (December 1). We're on week 7 or something. It takes 30 to 40 minutes.

She loves loves loves it. Don't think she won't remind me it's her turn for school. If the big kids are being uncooperative with their schoolwork, she'll chime in with a, "well, why don't we do my school while they think about behaving better?" Haha

And I'm teaching kindie and SC2 along with SCB, so it's totally doable. The big kids could be done by lunch if their attention and effort are good. I do SC B with the little after lunch.
                    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Working...
                    X