Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

FSR Dictation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSR Dictation

My 6 y.o son is working through SC 1, and we've continually struggled on the FSR dictation tasks. When I give him a word, I will give him visual cue to help him "hear" the word sounds, ie I start with my hand down when saying the first sound in the word, raise it when saying the middle part, and lower it for the last sound. We also struggle with poor recall in remembering what sound each letter makes, although this improves as he warms up. If you ask him outside of the dictation task what sound a letter makes, he doesn't have any issues.

We review the word cards daily, and I'll have him break down the word by letter sound before he reads it to me, as he tends to rush and just guess.

Any other suggestions?

Re: FSR Dictation

Do you complete practice dictations with a white board prior to the official one in the workbook?

Michelle T

Comment

No, but we should. Where do you schedule it in the week, or do you extend the week?

Comment

They are not scheduled in the plans. But we suggest them, if needed. I would do it the same day as dictation as a warm up. Complete maybe 4 or 5 words then have a snack or movement break before completing the workbook dictation.

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

I have had to do visual cues with a couple of my kids, but I just raise one finger for each sound. This might feel more direct and concrete for your son than varying hand movements. Most of my kids who needed this would just look at my fingers, but my almost 5 year old will actually wiggle them as she repeats the word sound by sound.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
          MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
          MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
          As above, plus:
          MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
          MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

How is his handwriting? I wonder if it might help to give him an intermediate step - like letter tiles. This helped my son, you say the word, he spells with letter tiles, and then copies it down.

When practicing with letter tiles, I would often have to cue him -- I'd say the word, then I'd say it very slow and and ask what the first sound was. Then I'd say it really slow again and ask what the middle sound was. Then repeat again with the ending sound. (Prompt them to listen for whichever sound their listening for before saying the word.) Helping him practice saying the word slowly can help too. He could count the sounds out on his fingers as he says the sounds too.

If not letter tiles, having a visual alphabet, like the desk charts from SC C is helpful too. And those charts have pictures to remind the child what sound each letter makes. My idea is that the more supports the better, he won't need them forever.
            Susan

2018-2019
            A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
            C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
            G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
            X