Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Reflective papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflective papers

Cheryl, I got Simply Classical for Christmas and read it. Loved it. I want to write a review soon. I did have one question for you or someone else.

You wrote about using fables and stories for your son and having him do reflective papers to help his thinking. That's a lot of what we are dealing with, and I wNt to try this. What did you have him write about? I got the idea of the papers your husband did, but this is on p. 169.

Thanks!
    Michelle in Central Tx
    DS 12 (4A modified), Ds 9 (4M), DS 5 (K)

Re: Reflective papers

Thank you! I am so, so thankful Memoria Press published the book.

Simply Classical has become a healing book for my daughter who often shares her signed copy. She just promised to bring it to her ballet teacher.

Please link to your review, if you find time to write it, and we will share.

The Thinking Paper is based on my attorney husband's experience with legal briefs, so they followed this pattern.

In our house, we focused most on getting the first part correct:

Facts -- what factually, objectively happened (not what you subjectively suspected, perceived, felt, or assumed prior to or during the difficulty)

Issue
    Rule
    Application
    Conclusion

You can simplify for child/teen thinking:

1. What happened?

2. How did you respond?

3. What is a good or better way to handle such a situation?

4. How do you plan to respond in the future?

5. What did you learn from this?

I hope that helps --

Cheryl

Comment

Yes. That makes sense. Is that the type of questions you used with the Aesop Fables as well?
      Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Thank you! I am so, so thankful Memoria Press published the book.

Simply Classical has become a healing book for my daughter who often shares her signed copy. She just promised to bring it to her ballet teacher.

Please link to your review, if you find time to write it, and we will share.

The Thinking Paper is based on my attorney husband's experience with legal briefs, so they followed this pattern.

In our house, we focused most on getting the first part correct:

Facts -- what factually, objectively happened (not what you subjectively suspected, perceived, felt, or assumed prior to or during the difficulty)

Issue
        Rule
        Application
        Conclusion

You can simplify for child/teen thinking:

1. What happened?

2. How did you respond?

3. What is a good or better way to handle such a situation?

4. How do you plan to respond in the future?

5. What did you learn from this?

I hope that helps --

Cheryl
        We SO need this here! Thank you!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by mymommy1 View Post
          Yes. That makes sense. Is that the type of questions you used with the Aesop Fables as well?
          Assuming you are referring to teaching Aesop fables for behavioral, moral, character lessons --

For this, I scoured Aesop collections for the specifc virtue we needed, such as honesty. Then I had him read these, reflect, and copy the moral. For the most part, I let Aesop do all of the teaching here. Sometimes we discussed those orally; other times this became his private time for reflection.

MP offers the Aesop with audio CD, if you need audio. All of Aesop is worth hearing and rehearing, if you're looking to address morals!

Now that my son is a young adult, I see the benefit in having some direct, pointed assignments like Thinking Papers, and some assignments just for his own reflection. (This includes the nightly thankfulness journal.) When he emerges from quiet time now, he is often especially insightful.

Btw, for more audio resources, ... Jim Weiss and his wife color-coded the collection on their original website by character trait. This might be useful to you. Some are loosely linked to a virtue, others are more obvious.

Comment

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you!
            Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Working...
            X