Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Switching over to SC & update on us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching over to SC & update on us

So I've decided to switch my oldest over to Simply Classical for reading and spelling. We've been trudging through Barton level 3 for over a year and while he is making progress, it is so painfully slow. So I thought we'd switch gears and give SC a shot. We're starting on Tuesday. I thought we'd take two or three weeks to cover some activities related to FSR A-C and really make sure he's mastered all the words from those books. I've made a gazillion word cards. The only hiccup I think he could possible have would be not knowing some of the common words. I'm also planning on having him read the red Primary Phonics readers and Fun in the Sun. Then we'll complete the first 4 weeks in FSR D (might take us longer than 4 weeks). He's very solid on digraphs and blends so we'll likely go through the rest of book D quickly. After that I'm thinking we would try to work through FSR E, the blue and green readers, Soft and White, and Scamp and Tramp. Then he should be set to start SC 2. I'm thinking we'll be doing the reading, spelling, writing, and cursive.

One of my concerns with him is his difficulty with expressive language. He can say what he means without trouble but his syntax if often messed up -- things like was vs were, is vs are, mixing word order up a bit. So I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to add some grammar for him. Maybe even a simple workbook like Core Skills Language Arts 1? I'm not sure about this. Any thoughts?

My daughter is chugging right along in FSR E, them we'll move on to MP 1 - hopefully in March. I'm planning on combining them in recitation, copybook, cursive, and enrichment. I haven't decided between SC 2 or MP 1 for those subjects, but I'm leaning toward MP 1.

My three year old is a sweet, funny, terror on wheels. He is a mess. So we will get back onto SC A so he can get some more structure. I'm also hoping to put together a lot more independent activities he can do while I'm teaching the other two that don't involve electronics. We've fallen into the pit of electronics over usage.

Then for myself -- I had gastric bypass surgery on December 1st, so we've taken the entire month of December off from school. I'm still recovering in terms of energy level, struggling with nausea/ other GI issues at times, and getting used to my new diet. But I'm so happy to have done it and look forward to maybe actually be able to enjoy trekking about in some woods with my kids this spring. I'm down 24 lbs in the 1st month and I'm likely coming off my BP meds, which is so exciting.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Re: Switching over to SC & update on us

Happy healthy new year !

My son made just tremendous progress in his decoding and fluency the first semester of SC2. Just blows my mind. So, I have ut-most faith that you will see similar results. Those Moose Moment readers were a fantastic resource. Used for such a short period I debated buying them, but now so glad I did. I'm thinking soft and white is scheduled with FSR D, so you may go through it then, not afterwards. Definitely complete FSR E prior to starting second semester of SC2. My son is anxiously/ apprehensivley looking forward to starting SC Storytime Treasures when we get back to school this month.

As far as choosing SC or traditional grade 1 for cursive, copywork, etc. It would depend on writing ability. The copywork is noticeably shortened in SC2. Cursive has lots of VAKT helps built in in SC.

I wouldn't add a grammar book. It will come in time, but I wouldn't feel compelled to add another workbook. Trust the schedule, just trust it...

Happy New Year!
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      Happy healthy new year !

My son made just tremendous progress in his decoding and fluency the first semester of SC2. Just blows my mind. So, I have ut-most faith that you will see similar results. Those Moose Moment readers were a fantastic resource. Used for such a short period I debated buying them, but now so glad I did. I'm thinking soft and white is scheduled with FSR D, so you may go through it then, not afterwards. Definitely complete FSR E prior to starting second semester of SC2. My son is anxiously/ apprehensivley looking forward to starting SC Storytime Treasures when we get back to school this month.

As far as choosing SC or traditional grade 1 for cursive, copywork, etc. It would depend on writing ability. The copywork is noticeably shortened in SC2. Cursive has lots of VAKT helps built in in SC.

I wouldn't add a grammar book. It will come in time, but I wouldn't feel compelled to add another workbook. Trust the schedule, just trust it...

Happy New Year!
      Thanks Colomama!

Have you done FSR E with your son? If so, when did you choose? Did you do the 8 week review at the end of SC 1?

I think his writing ability is fine, so probably copybook from MP 1. Also I already have them. But likely cursive from SC, he'll likely need all the multi-sensory stuff he can get.

I'm thinking of grammar, maybe not so much for academics, but more of a speech therapy support. He works on expressive language there. Perhaps I should just get homework from them. I so like having something with a concrete start and finish, along with detailed instruction along the way.
      Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
        So I've decided to switch my oldest over to Simply Classical for reading and spelling. We've been trudging through Barton level 3 for over a year and while he is making progress, it is so painfully slow. So I thought we'd switch gears and give SC a shot. We're starting on Tuesday. I thought we'd take two or three weeks to cover some activities related to FSR A-C and really make sure he's mastered all the words from those books. I've made a gazillion word cards. The only hiccup I think he could possible have would be not knowing some of the common words. I'm also planning on having him read the red Primary Phonics readers and Fun in the Sun. Then we'll complete the first 4 weeks in FSR D (might take us longer than 4 weeks). He's very solid on digraphs and blends so we'll likely go through the rest of book D quickly. After that I'm thinking we would try to work through FSR E, the blue and green readers, Soft and White, and Scamp and Tramp. Then he should be set to start SC 2. I'm thinking we'll be doing the reading, spelling, writing, and cursive.

One of my concerns with him is his difficulty with expressive language. He can say what he means without trouble but his syntax if often messed up -- things like was vs were, is vs are, mixing word order up a bit. So I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to add some grammar for him. Maybe even a simple workbook like Core Skills Language Arts 1? I'm not sure about this. Any thoughts?

My daughter is chugging right along in FSR E, them we'll move on to MP 1 - hopefully in March. I'm planning on combining them in recitation, copybook, cursive, and enrichment. I haven't decided between SC 2 or MP 1 for those subjects, but I'm leaning toward MP 1.

My three year old is a sweet, funny, terror on wheels. He is a mess. So we will get back onto SC A so he can get some more structure. I'm also hoping to put together a lot more independent activities he can do while I'm teaching the other two that don't involve electronics. We've fallen into the pit of electronics over usage.

Then for myself -- I had gastric bypass surgery on December 1st, so we've taken the entire month of December off from school. I'm still recovering in terms of energy level, struggling with nausea/ other GI issues at times, and getting used to my new diet. But I'm so happy to have done it and look forward to maybe actually be able to enjoy trekking about in some woods with my kids this spring. I'm down 24 lbs in the 1st month and I'm likely coming off my BP meds, which is so exciting.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Hi, Susan!

Congratulations on embarking on a new diet with the goal of hiking with your children. Slow and steady ...

We had combined GI/kidney issues requiring dietary changes here too. Equipped with the right books and guidelines, the changes make such a difference. I hope you see improved health, energy, and stamina over the next few months.

Regarding your educational changes --

Phonics/Reading
        Yes, beginning with FSR A-C is a great idea. He will probably fly through A & B, but it will be good review. Just use those SC 1 VAKT plans for enjoyable review. Then plant to slow down a bit to dig in more deeply with FSR C and D.

If I were you, I would move from FSR D directly to SC 2 for the Moose Moments/phonics review as Colomama suggested.

Then I would either 1) insert FSR E before moving forward, if you want to focus on vowel teams, or 2) proceed through SC 2 as written.

We teach FSR E at the beginning of SC 3, so you can feel free to wait. (We provide an alternate phonics beginning in SC 3 for those who do not need to teach or to review FSR E.)

You'll see those "whole word" (not whole language) instructions for sight words in SC 1. The cards are a great idea. Just be sure you do not overdrill the ones he knows. Let him "win" his mastered cards by reviewing those weekly. Keep adding to the mastered pile. (He needs to see light at the end of the tunnel!)

Language/Grammar
        If your SLP is really good about giving you systematic, sequential homework to target those is/are issues, this would be the most efficient way to tackle those lingering difficulties. However, I agree that Core Skills Language Arts 1 could work really well for you. Just do everything orally, if you want to avoid the overkill workbook concerns Colomama raised.

Even though CS LA 1 is in workbook format, sometimes we need to teach according to the way we teach best, rather than worry about the format. You are a person who likes to know everything is covered in a clear, orderly, incremental way. CS LA 1 does this. It even has specific lessons targeting the use of is/are, go/went and other irregularities. You have probably looked at the Table of Contents. Feel free to skip directly to those lessons, if you want. Teach them first, and then revisit them when they occur in the natural sequence.

May 2017 be his Year of Reading Welll!!

Looking forward to hearing how everything goes --

Cheryl

Comment

We did FSR E between first and second semester of SC2. It did not take 8 weeks as scheduled in the Summer Bridge lesson plans. He had intuitively learned this material and this child doesn't intuitively learn anything. I was floored.

We still have the last 2 weeks of material to cover in those bridge plans. I intentionally saved that for after New Years. I didn't want to start back to school after a long break with something entirely new. So 2 weeks of familiar material and then off to Storytime Treasures.

I had originally thought / wanted / pushed my MPK student to catch up to my older child so we could all do FSR E and Storytime together, but I think she needs the full 8 week bridge whereas my son did not. She is in the final 2 weeks of MPK and her fluency is no where near my sons. Yes, I think she could do it (Little Bear) but it would be nails on a chalkboard. I think slowing down for her will be more beneficial.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

We did FSR E between first and second semester of SC2. It did not take 8 weeks as scheduled in the Summer Bridge lesson plans. He had intuitively learned this material and this child doesn't intuitively learn anything. I was floored.

We still have the last 2 weeks of material to cover in those bridge plans. I intentionally saved that for after New Years. I didn't want to start back to school after a long break with something entirely new. So 2 weeks of familiar material and then off to Storytime Treasures.
            Yes! Inserting FSR E after 1st semester of SC 2 is a great option. Then you have covered those vowel teams intently in controlled stories before beginning "real books" with SC Storytime. Very good.

So happy to hear about your son's progress, Colomama.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              Hi, Susan!

Congratulations on embarking on a new diet with the goal of hiking with your children. Slow and steady ...

We had combined GI/kidney issues requiring dietary changes here too. Equipped with the right books and guidelines, the changes make such a difference. I hope you see improved health, energy, and stamina over the next few months.

Regarding your educational changes --

Phonics/Reading
              Yes, beginning with FSR A-C is a great idea. He will probably fly through A & B, but it will be good review. Just use those SC 1 VAKT plans for enjoyable review. Then plant to slow down a bit to dig in more deeply with FSR C and D.

If I were you, I would move from FSR D directly to SC 2 for the Moose Moments/phonics review as Colomama suggested.

Then I would either 1) insert FSR E before moving forward, if you want to focus on vowel teams, or 2) proceed through SC 2 as written.

We teach FSR E at the beginning of SC 3, so you can feel free to wait. (We provide an alternate phonics beginning in SC 3 for those who do not need to teach or to review FSR E.)

You'll see those "whole word" (not whole language) instructions for sight words in SC 1. The cards are a great idea. Just be sure you do not overdrill the ones he knows. Let him "win" his mastered cards by reviewing those weekly. Keep adding to the mastered pile. (He needs to see light at the end of the tunnel!)

Language/Grammar
              If your SLP is really good about giving you systematic, sequential homework to target those is/are issues, this would be the most efficient way to tackle those lingering difficulties. However, I agree that Core Skills Language Arts 1 could work really well for you. Just do everything orally, if you want to avoid the overkill workbook concerns Colomama raised.

Even though CS LA 1 is in workbook format, sometimes we need to teach according to the way we teach best, rather than worry about the format. You are a person who likes to know everything is covered in a clear, orderly, incremental way. CS LA 1 does this. It even has specific lessons targeting the use of is/are, go/went and other irregularities. You have probably looked at the Table of Contents. Feel free to skip directly to those lessons, if you want. Teach them first, and then revisit them when they occur in the natural sequence.

May 2017 be his Year of Reading Welll!!

Looking forward to hearing how everything goes --

Cheryl
              Thanks Cheryl. That's exciting that we can go on and start sooner. Do I need to do the 8 week review at the end of SC 1 before moving to SC 2? Or can I just jump straight in? I'll just wait on deciding when to do FSR E until I get close to finishing the 1st semester of SC 2. I think I'll revisit the idea of adding the grammar workbook in March. That will give me two months of doing work before adding anything new.
              Susan

2018-2019

Comment

I had originally thought / wanted / pushed my MPK student to catch up to my older child so we could all do FSR E and Storytime together, but I think she needs the full 8 week bridge whereas my son did not. She is in the final 2 weeks of MPK and her fluency is no where near my sons. Yes, I think she could do it (Little Bear) but it would be nails on a chalkboard. I think slowing down for her will be more beneficial.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
                That's awesome he learned that on his own. From the blue/green primary phonics readers maybe?

I totally agree with slowing things down. For my daughter, we had to slow down so much during book D. She had such trouble with long vowels. I think the first 4 lessons took 6-8 weeks. But now she is chugging along. But she would get very frustrated with Little Bear if I went ahead and started her now without finishing through the FSR E and the primary phonics readers. Also even if they were doing the same material at the same time, one would inevitably have more problems than the other, which could lead to trouble.
                Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
                  Thanks Cheryl. That's exciting that we can go on and start sooner. Do I need to do the 8 week review at the end of SC 1 before moving to SC 2? Or can I just jump straight in? I'll just wait on deciding when to do FSR E until I get close to finishing the 1st semester of SC 2. I think I'll revisit the idea of adding the grammar workbook in March. That will give me two months of doing work before adding anything new.

By now, you're quite experienced, so when you finish FSR D, I think you'll know whether or not you need the SC 1 8-week review.

If you do not think you need the entire 8 weeks, you could condense into 2-4 weeks. See what you think when the time comes.

Comment

My plan is to go through the Summer Bridge lessons. If I feel she still needs more review before starting grade 1, i have these fantastic Moose Moments readers.

Realistically, she's still in kindergarten this year. Turned 6 in October. So, if we spend the rest of the year on FSR E and Moose Moments we're still good. I would rather ensure mastery than push ahead and for reading to always be a stretch. Yes, she can do it, but her personal enjoyment would be less.

The only challenge for my son with FSR E was hard / soft c and g. Sounds goofy, but I learned with him. I never knew why the c in city and cat were pronounced differently. Now I know too! One little rule and spelling would be dramatically easier. I did loose some street cred with him when I acted all excited about learning that. Haha

We've completed:

Comment

Working...
                    X