Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Merry Christmas and an update on us 😀

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas and an update on us 😀

Hello and Merry Christmas to Cheryl and all!
    My name is Lillian, and I was on here a lot last year as I used SC C and SC 1 to teach our two boys, Nathan, now age 9 and Alex, now age 8, biological brothers adopted from Ukraine at ages 3 and 2. Both have (undiagnosed) FAS, but pretty certain of on that spectrum. I absolutely loved using SC with them! I was also busy doing vision therapy with them as well as skype sessions with Carol Brown and exercises she and our chiropractor recommended, plus watching their diet and lots of vitamins. They both made good progress, although with everything else going on, we didn't quite finish SC 1. This year, for several reasons, my husband wanted the boys to go to a small Christian school for children with special needs and special learning needs. There are only six children and a good teacher, and academically, Alex has made great progress in reading, handwriting, and spelling. Nathan has made good progress in math. Behaviorally, they do well at school but have gone way downhill at home. They are at school three days a week, and I teach them at home the other two days. The teachers are good, but the influence of the other (all special needs kids) is not. We do go as a family to a homeschool track club, and they have nice friends there and at our small church. I am still working on attachment with Nathan. Alex is more securely attached to us, but has felt more insecure this fall. I am thankful to have this time with them over the Christmas break. It's been all I can do some days not to beg to bring them home again in January, but I feel like we need to finish what we started this year. Most likely, we will bring them home again next year. I'd love to use Simply Classical again. I will want to do Read Alouds and other content areas together. Nathan will be ahead in math, but Alex, my younger, will probably be ahead in Reading and Phonics. This year they are using the Spire Phonics program, and she pulls their spelling words from it. This has worked well, but I'd be fine with using the SC plans again next year. I'm sure I'll have questions on placement then. I'm rereading the Simply Classical book and want to read more on Classical and Christian Classical education. I got Classical Education, by Dr.Gene Edward Veith for Christmas and look forward to reading it. I'm still homeschooling our three girls and plan to add Latin next year for our youngest daughter. I also plan to order a book dealing with behaviors that Cheryl recommended, plus keep working on connecting and spending time with our boys this year. Thank you for all you do! Happy New Year! Lillian

Re: Merry Christmas and an update on us 😀

Lillian! Great to hear from you.

Thank you for the update. We're here, whenever you're ready!

If you want to add to your reading, scroll down to the books on this Recommended Reading list for exploring essential topics in education.

Thanks for checking in --

Cheryl

Comment

Thank you for the booklist, Cheryl!

Comment

Hi Lillian!

My situation is a bit different from yours; however, I vividly remember the issues we had with my son when he was going full-time to an ABA school. The school was fantastic and was just what he needed at the time; however, the behaviors he picked up there were less than ideal. *weary laugh* Even outside the special needs realm, it never works that children pick up the positive behaviors shown by their peers - it's always the other way around.

In my son's case, he got what he needed from that school and I just worked harder at home to keep the negative behaviors from creeping into everyday life. It was certainly no picnic, but so worth the effort. I'm really glad that you had the chance to put your boys in school - now you know exactly what's available to you and the risk vs. reward that it brings. You will never have a case of the "should haves" ("Maybe we should have..."); rather, now you know. It can always be an option, which is a nice thing to have in your back pocket.

I have seen the SC packages and they are really lovely - I so wish I'd had this when my ds was little (I was cobbling together my own SN curriculum - don't ask)! However, I'm so glad you have the option to either bring them home or keep them in school. (As someone who adores having my formerly-autistic-now-Aspie son at home, I am thrilled that you'll have your sons at home with you next year!) Regardless of what next year brings, the best thing you can do is to continue to model the behaviors you want and expect from your children and read quality books to them. Between your actions and the themes in the classic books, you'll be giving them so much more than you realize!

Best,
        Mary
        Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
        DS12 - 7th core
        DD7 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

Mary,
          Thank you so much for your wise encouragement! I really appreciate hearing from another mom who understands! Happy New Year to you! Lillian

Comment

Working...
          X