Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SCC progress?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCC progress?

Hi! I'm not quite sure what to do with my son! I'm spotting some "asynchrony", but maybe I am just slightly paranoid now!

He has great number sense, without much "teaching". In a random conversation in talking about ages I said someone was "almost" 45 and he said, oh, then she is 44! He can count to 100, knows what numbers come before and after. We have not tackled or tried skip counting yet.

His phonics has been spotty until this year. We started with a Montessori approach when he was 2. He went to a Montessori school 2 days a week. We played a lot of sound games. He only became interested when he was 3 and his 2 year old sister was answering for him. We have been trucking along in SCC though. He can do the workbook pages fairly easily. His handwriting comes easier than it did for his older sister, but he pretty much despises coloring. We plug through and I often help him by coloring the page with him. My confusion, problem is this: He consistently calls "c" "d". Even after we have been through review letters and just saying that "d" is, D, I can pull out "c" and he'll say "d". On the other hand, in the workbook pages if he has to say which sound a picture begins with, he can circle c correctly. (since it is usually multiple choice) He also has trouble with p, d and b. (interchanging them all). Then, one day I was working with my older daughter on math and he was playing with the letter tiles on the whiteboard. He spelled his name and then randomly decided he wanted to spell his cousin's name (Max). He did, all by himself! He also has no trouble rhyming.

We just finished week 15. I was considering hanging on and spending some time reviewing the letters we have been learning up until now, before moving on? Do you have any suggestions for our review time?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Re: SCC progress?

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Hi! I'm not quite sure what to do with my son! I'm spotting some "asynchrony", but maybe I am just slightly paranoid now!

He has great number sense, without much "teaching". In a random conversation in talking about ages I said someone was "almost" 45 and he said, oh, then she is 44! He can count to 100, knows what numbers come before and after. We have not tackled or tried skip counting yet.

His phonics has been spotty until this year. We started with a Montessori approach when he was 2. He went to a Montessori school 2 days a week. We played a lot of sound games. He only became interested when he was 3 and his 2 year old sister was answering for him. We have been trucking along in SCC though. He can do the workbook pages fairly easily. His handwriting comes easier than it did for his older sister, but he pretty much despises coloring. We plug through and I often help him by coloring the page with him. My confusion, problem is this: He consistently calls "c" "d". Even after we have been through review letters and just saying that "d" is, D, I can pull out "c" and he'll say "d". On the other hand, in the workbook pages if he has to say which sound a picture begins with, he can circle c correctly. (since it is usually multiple choice) He also has trouble with p, d and b. (interchanging them all). Then, one day I was working with my older daughter on math and he was playing with the letter tiles on the whiteboard. He spelled his name and then randomly decided he wanted to spell his cousin's name (Max). He did, all by himself! He also has no trouble rhyming.

We just finished week 15. I was considering hanging on and spending some time reviewing the letters we have been learning up until now, before moving on? Do you have any suggestions for our review time?
    E keeps confusing "am" and "an" despite being able to write them correctly from dictation. Today, I started using the Montessori "3-period lesson" approach with the endings she has learned so far. It's showing some promise Maybe it would help your son with his letter confusion as well?
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Hi, Christine.

First, remember that he is only 4, so you will want to minimize confusion or frustration by asking him only what you know he knows.

You can use the first step, from the progression Jen mentioned:

"This is c." Then the second step: "Show me 'c.'"
      Do this until he shows you "c" consistently.

Isolate this letter, rather than asking about "d" right now. Just keep using "Show me 'c'" until "c" is his best friend. Circle "c," find "c" in this line-up of letter tiles, trace the "c" on the white board, circle the uppercase "C" in Mommy's name, show me the "C" in Christmas....

Second, be prepared for needs similar to your daughter's, just in case. This may not be paranoia, but simply common sense. Sometimes these things are familial. Be willing to customize SC with higher-level, "asynchronous" options via the Customize tab; yet resist the temptation to move too quickly, even in areas that appear strong. Like your daughter, he may need more memory work with skills, even though his intelligence is high.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Hi, Christine.

First, remember that he is only 4, so you will want to minimize confusion or frustration by asking him only what you know he knows.

He's 5! :-) (he turned 5 in Sept!)
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Of course! I answered from your signature.

Hmmm. What would you think about a screening with the neuropsych who tested your daughter?

Comment

Of course! I answered from your signature.

Hmmm. What would you think about a screening with the neuropsych who tested your daughter?
            They said you had to be 6! If we go that route, we might have to go to the "big" city to test earlier. Incidentally, we had his annual eye exam in Nov (only 6 months "late") and he needs glasses! He has only had them for 3 weeks. I wonder if we don't need to give him time to "see" the letters correctly now?

P.S. - I fixed the signature! :-)
            Last edited by howiecram; 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM.
            Christine

(2018-2019)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
            DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

New glasses? Good! Does he like to wear them? Can he tell a difference with close work, or were they only for distance?

You can certainly wait until six to evaluate.

Just work hard to notice what works well when you teach, and then do this. Break everything down for success. Avoid confusion in teaching by being very deliberate, as described above.

The SC C coloring & drawing may help him attend visually, so do continue with ALL of the components in SC C, if you can. They all work together. Those in-depth animal studies & Aesop lessons will stretch him cognitively and appeal to natural curiosity, the read-alouds will delight, and the daily exercises help to break down those "basics." Modify more, where needed, but stay the course.

[An alternative would be switching to AAR now, if you think this would help him more. Now you're familiar with both, so you can choose. Just be sure to select one or the other (SC or AAR) and teach sequentially from the full program.]

And take a moment to breathe. The realization that one child needs special modifications is daunting enough; to suspect a second can be overwhelming. Christmas is a perfect time to set all of this aside, if only for a few days, and just allow yourself to enjoy your children as children.

We're here to help as you work through this, if we can.

Cheryl

Comment

I wouldn't worry about having to wait on testing. SO much can change from one day to the next at this age, never mind from week to week, month to month, etc!

Even at 5 I think what you're describing is fairly normal -- although Cheryl is definitely the expert here! If it stayed this way for more than a couple of months, then I might be more concerned.

Another thing: it might be that he just isn't taking the time to decide which letter it is, and is guessing at it. This is completely normal at this age. My 6yo did it incessantly last year but is finally to the point where she will usually stop and actually determine which letter she is looking at before just saying a random name/sound. My 8yo is doing better with this too now. They just had to take an extra minute -- and I had to stop filling it in for them when it took them longer
                Jennifer

2018-2019
                DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
                DS-12 (6M)
                DS-10 (SC3)
                DD-8 (MP2)
                DD-6 (SC2)
                DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

An aside - I may have been reading too much between the lines. To answer your original question, if you want to spend some time reviewing, you might turn to the first batch of SC C Review lessons. You could use those, if you wanted.

As Jen said, 5 is still young. You could simply "press pause," as my daughter would say, and enjoy a few weeks of cookie baking, tree decorating, and playing outside. Sometimes a little holiday can work wonders.

You might not feel like it, Christine, but you're experienced now. Do what you would like to do for a couple of weeks!

Just keep the regular routine of good meals, sleep, and exercise, so everyone stays reasonably structured.

Cheryl

Comment

You might not feel like it, Christine, but you're experienced now. Do what you would like to do for a couple of weeks!

Just keep the regular routine of good meals, sleep, and exercise, so everyone stays reasonably structured.

Cheryl
                    Hm, it is ironic that you posted this! :-) I almost made another post. "what do you do when you are ready for a break, but your kids need structure?". All the kids have colds. We are just wrapping up a few odds and ends from lessons and were going to just do a few things for the remainder of December. We spent the afternoon watching Christmas movies. Unfortunetly, as enjoyable as it is to sit around and watch movies all day, I know it can't last for 3 weeks! Then, I realized, I really CAN do this (not having a lesson plan to follow). We have a myriad of activities that the kids can do and will enjoy. It's been a rough few weeks though. It was busier than I anticipated (not even with fun Advent activities). My oldest had to have her second ear procedure. (They patched the perforation in her ear drum caused by ear tubes!). Then, we had regular dentist check-ups and she had a cavity. That meant another dose of drugs for her! (The ear procedure was totally knocked out, the cavity was mere laughing gas). Now, they all have colds. Due to their sensory issues, when they first get a cold, it is near torture for all of us. My youngest two were up, literally all night on Monday! I managed to sleep through the night the next night, but we had to get up earlier than usual for the dentist procedure! Two days later and the oldest came down with same cold and she was up for a portion of the night last night! (Does anyone know how to teach kids how to blow their noses? This is part of the problem, it just drains out, they still can't blow their noses, none of them! - we have tried everything we could think of to "teach" them). So, yes, "I" am ready for a break!

P.s> -I've been contemplating the AAR/FSR thing for my son. It is structured very differently and I think he needs the movement activities from SC1 more than the activities from AAR. I'm planning, for now, to have him do FSR with the SC1 plans for at least books A-C. However, it isn't a decision I will need to make until next Fall, so i have plenty of time. I already have both choices, so I can really "wait" on that one! *shew*! I'm thinking he will get through all of R&S 1 next year, instead of only half. Again, we'll have to see how the actual memorization plays out, once he gets going with the actual math facts, there is plenty of room for flexibility, thank goodness!

Lastly, we are doing MOST of the activities from SCC, as written. We did drop the animal coloring book, but I had already planned to add those back in. He loves hearing the nature reader stories and fables, and Mother Goose!

We've been reading all the read alouds from SCC and SC2! (SCB, but not always all together on that one)
                    Christine

(2018-2019)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

He sounds like he is really smart to be able to write his own name and his cousin's name already!
                      JeJe Greer
                      Mom to:
                      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                        He sounds like he is really smart to be able to write his own name and his cousin's name already!
                        Which is why it is confusing when he consistently calls the letter c wrong!! My husband actually caught it too! (On a review week)!!
                        Christine

(2018-2019)
                        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

I agree that it is confusing. I wish I could help.
                          JeJe Greer
                          Mom to:
                          Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                          Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

If he keeps having problems with those letters after you try everything else and give him some time, you might consider a developmental ophthalmologist screening. My youngest consistently made errors like that. If the letter had a curve in it, he would randomly say one of the curved letters, so sometimes right, sometimes wrong, very random seeming, no matter what I tried. He was seeing an OT and an ST at the same time, nothing they did was helping either. He was older, almost 8. His speech therapist recommended the developmental ophthalmologist, and she found that he had some severe visual deficiencies. He has been wearing glasses since he was three, and has a mild lazy eye, which he has been patching for, for a long time with some improvement, but none of the regular ophthalmologists tested for how well his eyes work together. In just a few weeks of eye exercises, none of which involved working directly with the alphabet, he had all those letters we had worked on for years down pat. I have to admit that vision therapy is a new on to me, and I still have a bit of skepticism in the back of my mind that it is just nonsense, but it has made an incredible, undeniable difference for my son. The best thing about it, is that it has a limit, unlike OT where the bar constantly changes and you could go for years on end. The vision stuff has set goals that you reach and then graduate. A lot of kids are done with it in 12 weekly visits, with a few more monthly follow-ups. Mine is taking a bit longer, because it took him 6 weeks before he could settle down with the new people and places to actually cooperate with them.
                            Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                            Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                            Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Originally posted by Miah View Post
                              If he keeps having problems with those letters after you try everything else and give him some time, you might consider a developmental ophthalmologist screening. My youngest consistently made errors like that. If the letter had a curve in it, he would randomly say one of the curved letters, so sometimes right, sometimes wrong, very random seeming, no matter what I tried. He was seeing an OT and an ST at the same time, nothing they did was helping either. He was older, almost 8. His speech therapist recommended the developmental ophthalmologist, and she found that he had some severe visual deficiencies. He has been wearing glasses since he was three, and has a mild lazy eye, which he has been patching for, for a long time with some improvement, but none of the regular ophthalmologists tested for how well his eyes work together. In just a few weeks of eye exercises, none of which involved working directly with the alphabet, he had all those letters we had worked on for years down pat. I have to admit that vision therapy is a new on to me, and I still have a bit of skepticism in the back of my mind that it is just nonsense, but it has made an incredible, undeniable difference for my son. The best thing about it, is that it has a limit, unlike OT where the bar constantly changes and you could go for years on end. The vision stuff has set goals that you reach and then graduate. A lot of kids are done with it in 12 weekly visits, with a few more monthly follow-ups. Mine is taking a bit longer, because it took him 6 weeks before he could settle down with the new people and places to actually cooperate with them.
                              Yes, I have heard of this as well. I was debating it with my daughter (7). I bought AAR and if that didn't "work" I was definitely going to investigate that. There are none in our town, but there were a few about an hour away. So, I will keep it in the back of my mind for my son! Our eye doctor did say that one eye was better than the other and that lazy eye can happen as a result. He did do a few tests and he said they looked good. The look on my son's face when he first put on his glasses was priceless. I think it was a whole new world for him. I feel slightly bad because we did have them looked at when he was 4, in May. We were supposed to go back in May (even though there was no indication at the appointment when he was 4), but we were too busy. However, about that time, he started complaining of headaches. WE had his 5 year check up in October and the doctor wasn't concerned because they weren't frequent enough. She didn't even mention an eye exam! We had already scheduled his eye exam by that point though. While I had thought of the eye problem a few months before, I had almost forgotten about it. We had the exam and the doctor said "do you have any concerns". I almost said nothing but randomly said "well, he has been complaining of headaches". He said, well, I am getting a prescription from the tests run! We have had the glasses for 3 weeks and no headaches! I hope THAT was the problem!

He loves his glasses, btw! He gets to be just like his Daddy! In this house, where the girls out number the boys, I think he digs that! :-)
                              Christine

(2018-2019)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                              DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                              X