Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC Levels Correspond to Which Grades In School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Levels Correspond to Which Grades In School

I am sure that this was asked before (probably by me, even, but I cannot find it anywhere): does Simply Classical 1 correspond to 1st grade, Simply Classical 2 to 2nd grade and Simply Classical 3 to 3rd grade? I originally thought that SC1 was kindergarten, but I see that SC3 is including Prima Latina, and that did not seem to be included in regular 2nd grade so I am wondering if the numbers are meant to line up to regular grade levels. I realize that this should not matter to anyone, but it seems to be a really big deal to a few people (notably to Clara's cross-country running coach who was horrified that she could not write our her own answers to most of the questions they asked the girls). Thanks for your help if anyone knows!
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Re: SC Levels Correspond to Which Grades In School

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
    I am sure that this was asked before (probably by me, even, but I cannot find it anywhere): does Simply Classical 1 correspond to 1st grade, Simply Classical 2 to 2nd grade and Simply Classical 3 to 3rd grade? I originally thought that SC1 was kindergarten, but I see that SC3 is including Prima Latina, and that did not seem to be included in regular 2nd grade so I am wondering if the numbers are meant to line up to regular grade levels. I realize that this should not matter to anyone, but it seems to be a really big deal to a few people (notably to Clara's cross-country running coach who was horrified that she could not write our her own answers to most of the questions they asked the girls). Thanks for your help if anyone knows!
    Prima Latina is in the standard MP 2nd grade. My boys are DYING to begin Latin, but they need more phonics work before we start. I don't THINK SC Levels apply to age, but more developmental level. Cheryl will hop in and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Sorry about that. We started homeschool in 3rd grade and used Prima Latina then so I guess I was confused.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        Prima Latina is in the standard MP 2nd grade. My boys are DYING to begin Latin, but they need more phonics work before we start. I don't THINK SC Levels apply to age, but more developmental level. Cheryl will hop in and correct me if I'm wrong.
        Yes, exactly. We spend another semester on English phonics and spelling in our SC program, before we introduce Latin at the end of SC 3.

Also -- combining to answer another thread here --

For anyone feeling that the books are a little "young," this is intentional with our SC 1 and 2. We want simple story lines for clear comprehension, phonics studies, and literary analysis. You can certainly boost with outside reading at higher levels. For example, follow the Bible story with the same chapters directly from Holy Scripture. Advent and Christmas provide an excellent opportunity for this.

Just tell any balking child that he/she is building strong, foundational skills. In SC 3, we leap forward to much more content in reading. In SC 3, the student will encounter biographies, interesting stories from American history, and longer chapter books every week. The student's perseverance with learning the basics of reading, spelling, and writing good sentences in SC 1 & 2 will reap rewards very soon in SC 3. We move to writing paragraphs by the end of SC 3. So if anything seems easy now, just enjoy. ☺

Finally, this topic:
        When someone asks what grade your child is in, you can give a simple age-based answer ("third grade"), or you can give a general answer to encourage your child, "We're working on skills. Some are stronger than others right now, but we're working hard and seeing improvement every year!"

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Comment

We're in the middle of coming up with our own "answers" to this question for a (planned) cottage school program. The tutors/teachers I'm interviewing want to know what grade level the SC levels correlate to.

Obviously there are no hard and fast answers, but having SC Level 2 on hand, it seems to correlate to a moderately-paced first grade, while the content and interest correlate well to a second grade level (the read alouds and literature seem "easy," but suggestions for meatier readings are in the guide and even in neurotypical brick and mortar schools, books that are a bit below cognitive levels are often used because it's easier for children to retain information from easier-to-read books, when the focus is on comprehension and analysis and things other than the actual reading).

I do not have Level 1 on hand, so no comment.

To potential tutors, I've described Level C as something of a "transitional kindergarten" with a focus on readiness skills. It's meatier than most traditional pre-k programs, but not as fast-paced as traditional kindergarten programs.

Comment

Originally posted by AimeeM View Post
            We're in the middle of coming up with our own "answers" to this question for a (planned) cottage school program. The tutors/teachers I'm interviewing want to know what grade level the SC levels correlate to.

Obviously there are no hard and fast answers, but having SC Level 2 on hand, it seems to correlate to a moderately-paced first grade, while the content and interest correlate well to a second grade level (the read alouds and literature seem "easy," but suggestions for meatier readings are in the guide and even in neurotypical brick and mortar schools, books that are a bit below cognitive levels are often used because it's easier for children to retain information from easier-to-read books, when the focus is on comprehension and analysis and things other than the actual reading).

I do not have Level 1 on hand, so no comment.

To potential tutors, I've described Level C as something of a "transitional kindergarten" with a focus on readiness skills. It's meatier than most traditional pre-k programs, but not as fast-paced as traditional kindergarten programs.

Yes!

SC C = transitional, amplified JrK-K = approx. skill level age 4-6
            SC 1 = transitional, amplified K-1 = approx. skill level 5-7
            SC 2 = high-interest, moderately paced 1-2 = approx. skill level 6-8
            SC 3 = high-interest, moderately paced 2-3 = approx. skill level 7-9

Note that while this may be helpful for teachers/tutors, we do not need to mention this to our students. (Few 11yo children want to think of themselves as being "in kindergarten.") Also, some children may work through these levels at a pace faster than a single year. Others may need the bonus 8 weeks of review each year. This is why we assign levels, not grades.

We just want to improve skills in a systematic way, along with general knowledge, a love of beauty and excellence, and occasional delight!

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

Working...
            X