Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Temple Grandin/Support for ASD/ADD/ADHD/Sensory issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temple Grandin/Support for ASD/ADD/ADHD/Sensory issues

After reading Cheryl's reply to another poster about support for ASD kids, I went and bought one of her books on my Kindle! I bought the equivalent of the "cliff notes" version of all of her books. I mentioned to my husband that I had downloaded something on the Kindle he should read. It is not that long and very easy to read. He remembered that there was a movie about her! We watched it last night (after I read that book of hers). That was really interesting and eye opening. I do remember now that I have seen the movie before, but I only remember the part about the cows, not that she was autistic. I don't believe my children are ASD, but they certainly have many things I could related to.

A few take away tips from her book and the movie:

1) Teaching manners, over and over. Her mother hired a nanny that played board games with her and her sister, for the distinct purpose of teaching taking turns for hours at a time. There were rules and she had to abide by them, even if it made her uncomfortable.

2) Do not say "no" or "stop it". If she was twirling her fork around at dinner, her mother would say "put your fork on your plate", instead of "stop twirling your fork". She was given, clear, concise instruction on what she should be doing.

3) If she threw a fit, she went to her room. She also was not allowed to watch TV that day.

Lastly, the world she grew up in, for autistic children was truly horrible. Her mother asked why Temple was "like this" and the doctor said "maybe you should ask your husband to speak to me". She explained she had a degree from Harvard and the doctor apologized, but said "we believe there was some point where the mother did not bond with the baby". How awful for mothers to be told this. Autistic children were almost always put in an institution. Temple was "lucky" because her parents could afford to keep her home and get the help she needed.

Thank you Cheryl for pointing Temple out. I would encourage anyone to read her book! I got this one to start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, a very easy read. I'm not sure which one to read next.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)
Working...
X