Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Supporting logical thinking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supporting logical thinking...

So I know disordered thinking and struggles with following logical thought processes are common in a lot of special needs situations...several of my kiddos have real problems with this but it is most extreme in my ASD kiddo...

We are studying Latin and as per Cheryl's recommend we have been using the thankfulness journal...that alone has been a huge help but still I can really see this is an area that needs more support esp as we move into the middle school years and the demands of more sophisticated thinking is needed/expected ...My highschool student is studying logic and as they chat about lessons she is sharing ideas with her brother and he is really latching on them and attempting to incorporate them into his thinking though often in an after the fact/meltdown analysis of what should have happened...

So while we wait to get to the upper years of school and the logic scheduled in highschool what kinds of books/activities can you recommend for us to support critical/logical ordered thinking? I hate to do nothing in the mean time.

Thanks!

Also if anyone really has a great go-to recommended book on understanding Autistic thought process I could use one...we got "what" info but little "how to support" ideas from our Neuropsych and now have moved to the middle of nowhere with no resources at all. Our library has nothing but being married to the librarian I am sure I can get something purchased
    Winter 2019 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 9 with remediation/support
    DD - core 6 with remediation/support
    DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Re: Supporting logical thinking...

Hi, MaggieAnnie.

Have you read anything by Dr. Temple Grandin, or have you seen the movie entitled Temple Grandin? With personal insight into the social, sensory, and cognitive challenges of autism, her books remain helpful to me. You might first check titles and reviews on Amazon to see if any of her books, such as Thinking in Pictures, or The Autistic Brain, appeal to you.

Regarding pre-logic, we really enjoyed Fallacy Detectives as a family. In Simply Classical, I describe how we all benefited from a multi-year middle-school study of this book. Written by two fun-loving homeschooled boys, the book appealed to my son more than a "textbook" for a nice introduction to spotting and addressing fallacies in pop culture, peer pressure, and in our own daily thinking.

I hope that helps --

Cheryl

Comment

Thanks Cheryl!
      I will look into those resources.
      Even with all the academic and medical challenges we work with it always seems like the emotional/social ones are in many ways the most important and yet often the most forgotten in a busy day.
      Always an adventure!
      Winter 2019 :
      DD - Graduated!

Comment

For understanding autism: If you are on Facebook, there is a group run by Bill Nason called Autism Discussion Page. He posts quotes from his books, and guest posts by autistic adults. There is some discussion in the comments, though not a huge amount. He goes into the nitty gritty of understanding the world from an autistic perspective. Breaking it down in ways that NT's can understand. He also talks about the ways that various co-morbid disorders effect those with autism. Discussions run the gamut from the severely affected to the mildly effected, which is, in my experience, hard to find. Something I like about his page is that he tries to clarify those really unhelpful, but ubiquitous terms--Low functioning/High functioning. He does a good job of separating the effects of autism from the effects of co-morbids, especially from the effects of intellectual disabilities, which people tend to conflate when discussing the severity of autism. A person can be severely affected by autism, but still very intelligent, or have significant intellectual disabilities and very mild autism. He digs down into the core features and deficits in autism. It's not really a behavioral disorder, it's a difference in the way the brain is wired; the way it is diagnosed based purely on a set of behaviors is pretty backwards, really.

Here are links to the books.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bill-Nason/...ne_cont_book_1
        Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
        Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
        Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Thanks Miah, I will look into that!
          I know misunderstanding caused by terminology and stereotypes was a stumbling block in getting appropriate dx's and support for my kiddos for years so I always appreciate resources that can help clarify those misconceptions.
          Winter 2019 :
          DD - Graduated!

Comment

Working...
          X