Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 3 Tentative Booklist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SC 3 Tentative Booklist

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    If he finds all of this too easy, this is good, because he will have two large reading-fluency components in SC 3: The Story Bible, which is now a reader, and ALL of the SC 3 American history books. If his reading is exploding as we hoped, he will be able to "sink his teeth" into these much longer, meatier, more compelling readers about American history. He will be reading long chapters in these stories every day.

Cheryl
    The part about the Story Bible being a reader, sells me on getting it! (also being apart of SC1, of course)!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      Does anyone have a suggestion for addition and subtraction flashcards through 18?

We have rod and staff cards, but they only go through fact family 10; which is perfect for math 1. But math 2 studies facts through 18.

The flash kids cards are not working as well for us. They have different problems on the front and back, with the answer in small print on the reverse. This is very confusing and distracting to my son. It's also mayhem if they get dropped, trying to figure out which card should face up.

I really liked being able to flip the card over and there was the full equation with the answer in large font.

I see rod and staff has two separate sets (1 for addition through 18 and one for subtraction) for $11 each. I really don't mind paying that to make math easier for me to teach.

Thanks for any suggestions
      I thought of one thing I wanted to say about the R&S flash cards. They are huge. (3-3/8" × 7-1/2") I had them, they are sturdy, one-sided, perfect in every way except they are gigantic and I can manipulate them well enough to shuffle them. Maybe you have hands that are better coordinated/stronger. HA. They make smaller cards too but they have an addition fact on one side and a subtraction fact on the other side. I'm getting ready to start 3rd grade math in 6 weeks and was looking at their multiplication/division cards (which are the same as the addition/subtraction).
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Hmmm. Also good to know.

Maybe we'll leave cards off of the SC 3 Booklist.

On the website, we might suggest the 0-18 R&S cards (with size caveat) and your 0-18 cards, Susan, as optional items, just as we list recommended watercolor sets and colored pencils in the younger levels.

Good feedback, all.

We're busy finishing edits on the new student guides & teacher guides. Very exciting times here, as everything begins to come together for SC 3.

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Comment

Just found these. What do you think?

Smaller R&S cards,
          Facts to 18,
          + on one side; - on the other,
          Lopped corners for easy sorting,
          $9.95 for the set.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-6800/

Comment

Just found these. What do you think?

Smaller R&S cards,
            Facts to 18,
            + on one side; - on the other,
            Lopped corners for easy sorting,
            $9.95 for the set.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-6800/
            I think I'm more inclined to the ones with only 1 fact on each card. I know my daughter would go bananas with an additional number on the front of the card! We are using the R&S LARGE 1-10 fact cards. They are fine. We never did the dot cards, but am wondering if we should go back and do those? She also didn't need the before and after number cards. So, I don't feel I am getting my monies worth with these. I like the plain fact cards!

I might just go ahead and get them soon, anyway. My daughter has the 1-10 facts down pretty well. We are not at 100%, but close!
            Christine

(2018-2019)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
            DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

I prefer one sided to use during classtime. My son could handle the double sided smaller ones for personal review though.

For those not into grade 2 yet, the teaching changes to triplet facts all at once. So they learn addition and subtraction at the same time, not separately like in grade one. The student is taught to memorize 12, 9, 3 for example. So they would know how to figure the addition answer by looking at the subtraction problem on the reverse side. So, I'm guessing those two-sided cards would have 9+3 on one side and 12-9 on the other or something.

The amazon linked cards don't go all the way to 18, so they won't work.

I don't mind the size of rod and staff cards. I guess I'm used to them after all this time. Haha.

I will also recommend Learning Resources write and Wipe Fact Family Triangle. I have no idea how to link it, but you can get it on amazon. We use it everyday to talk about whole and part and write the corresponding facts. Bonus, it has division and multiplication on the back so this baby will get a lot of use through the years.
              Last edited by Colomama; 02-07-2017, 08:28 PM.
              Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
              DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
              DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Well I must have weak hands LOL. I can't shuffle the bigger cards. Although I'm not much better with shuffling the trend cards I do have. So maybe its me!

The amazon linked ones do have all the facts through sums of 18 though. It's confusing, the fact families aren't the same as R&S. When it says through 12 facts it means up to 12+12=24. So there are all combinations of numbers up to 12. (Same with subtraction - up to 24-12=12). So there are extra facts I don't need. I'm about 2/3 of the way through R&S 2 with DS.

Thanks for the tip on the triangle cards, I had seen those but wasn't sure.
                Susan

2018-2019

Comment

I prefer one sided to use during classtime. My son could handle the double sided smaller ones for personal review though.

For those not into grade 2 yet, the teaching changes to triplet facts all at once. So they learn addition and subtraction at the same time, not separately like in grade one. The student is taught to memorize 12, 9, 3 for example. So they would know how to figure the addition answer by looking at the subtraction problem on the reverse side. So, I'm guessing those two-sided cards would have 9+3 on one side and 12-9 on the other or something.

The amazon linked cards don't go all the way to 18, so they won't work.

I don't mind the size of rod and staff cards. I guess I'm used to them after all this time. Haha.

I will also recommend Learning Resources write and Wipe Fact Family Triangle. I have no idea how to link it, but you can get it on amazon. We use it everyday to talk about whole and part and write the corresponding facts. Bonus, it has division and multiplication on the back so this baby will get a lot of use through the years.
                  These? https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...+wipe+triangle

That looks very helpful for the triplicate numbers you are speaking of with R&S 2?
                  Christine

(2018-2019)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                  DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Boo-yah! Yes, Christine those are the triangle things. Highly highly recommend those.

Susan- I get so easily confused by the different labels. I have a box of flashcards that say they go through all facts to 12 and they're just as you describe, but they don't have all the facts. Example, it only has 10+7 not 15+2 for example. It also only has 9+3, but not the mirror 3+9. Seems scattered for the upper facts. Maybe that's just the brand I have.
                    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Boo-yah! Yes, Christine those are the triangle things. Highly highly recommend those.

Susan- I get so easily confused by the different labels. I have a box of flashcards that say they go through all facts to 12 and they're just as you describe, but they don't have all the facts. Example, it only has 10+7 not 15+2 for example. It also only has 9+3, but not the mirror 3+9. Seems scattered for the upper facts. Maybe that's just the brand I have.
                      I'm really not super tech savvy - but just fyi - if you want to link something, just copy and paste what's in your browser and paste it!
                      Christine

(2018-2019)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Cheryl : the read alouds are a hit. He couldn't figure out coins and after a single read of the coin counting book he could identify the different coins and their value. We just read the Button Box and all three climbed on my lap for a better look!
                        Excellent! This is good to hear.

I know I'm a little late, but I thought of this today and realized I never responded.

We were in St. Louis for doctor appts when I spotted a coin. (My kids have a jar of parking lot coins -- saving for something.) I could not tell what the coin was as I passed by, quarter or nickel. "It's a nickel," Michelle said, scooping it up.

Comment

MP has not had time to check availability of each book or to make the list pretty, but Tanya said I can share it anyway!

As always, do not be intimidated by the seemingly large number of components. Everything is organized into teachable plans. The guide provides 34 weeks of easy-to-follow lessons with a complimentary 8-week review. Choose the open-and-go 4- or 5-day routine. You can teach all of the pre-integrated skills, concepts, and literary studies week by week, one day at a time.

I hope to have all components to the formatter/printer by Dec. 31. With a belated Happy Birthday to howiecram's son, and an early Merry Christmas to Colomama's, here is your list.

Simply Classical Level 3: Literature, Latin, & Liberty

Simply Classical Level 3 Tentative Booklist

Reading/Phonics/Spelling

ALS Sounds of the Sea (book six)
                          SC Spelling: Step-by-Step Words Book Two
                          Core Skills: Phonics 3
                          Core Skills: Phonics 4

[If not taught prior to beginning SC 3:
                          FSR E Teacher Guide
                          FSR E Student Book
                          MP Phonogram Cards
                          Classical Phonics
                          ]

Literature
                          SC More StoryTime Treasures
                          SC More StoryTime Treasures Key
                          Billy and Blaze
                          The Story About Ping
                          Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie
                          Stone Soup
                          Wagon Wheels
                          Prairie School
                          Prairie School literature guide

Cursive
                          My Thankfulness Journal: Beginner
                          NAC 2 Quotations of Famous Americans

Arithmetic
                          R&S Arithmetic 2 SET - Teacher Manual for Units 1-3, Student Books for Units 1-3, Blacklines, R&S flash cards
                          Learning Resources -- Write On/Wipe Off Demo Clock - large

Arithmetic Supplemental Read-Aloud Set
                          Anno’s Counting Book, Mitsumasa Anna
                          Five Chinese Brothers, Claire Huchet Bishop
                          Button Box, Mararette S. Reid
                          Millions of Cats, Wanda Gag
                          Two of Everything, Lily Toy Hong

Recommended Arithmetic Supplies (obtain before teaching):
                          R&S 2 assorted visual aids (make or purchase)
                          10 Dominos with patterns zero to 10
                          5 dice
                          Real coins: penny, nickel, dime, quarter
                          Floor number line (or tape/sidewalk chalk to create this)

Christian Studies
                          The Story Bible (from previous SC level)
                          SC Copybook Book Three

Writing/Composition/Grammar – choose one or both:
                          Simply Classical Writing: Bible Edition – correlates with The Story Bible
                          Simply Classical Writing: American History Edition – correlates with SC 3 American History Supplemental Read-Aloud Set

Note: SC Writing R-A can be taught without reading these books; however, as always, the program will be enhanced by following the full SC 3 lesson plans for reading, writing, and comprehension.

Introductory Latin/English Grammar & Vocabulary
                          [These will be continued in SC 4. Purchase only once for the two years.]
                          Prima Latina Student Book
                          Prima Latina Teacher Manual
                          Prima Latina CD

SC Enrichment Guide
                          Art, Music, American History, Science

Tentative SC 3 American History Supplemental Read-Aloud Set
                          Listed by Week

(1400s)
                          Meet Christopher Columbus
                          (plus poem in appendix)
                          James T. deKay
                          ISBN-13: 978-0375812101

2 and 3
                          (1500s-1600s)
                          Pocahontas: Young Peacemaker
                          Leslie Gourse
                          ISBN-13: 978-0689808081

The Thanksgiving Story
                          Alice Dalgliesh
                          ISBN-13: 978-0689710537

Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
                          Kate Waters
                          ISBN-13: 978-0439812207

(1700s)
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          Ingri and Edgar Palin d’Aulaire
                          ISBN-13: 978-0964380394

Meet George Washington
                          Joan Heilbroner
                          ISBN-13: 978-0375803970

8 and 9
                          Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag
                          Ann Weil
                          ISBN-13: 978-0020421207

Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
                          (plus Selections from “The War Inevitable” -P. Henry)
                          Jean Fritz
                          ISBN-13: 978-0698114395

Paul Revere’s Ride
                          Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
                          ISBN-13: 978-0140556124

12 and 13
                          Paul Revere: Boston Patriot
                          Augusta Stevenson
                          ISBN-13: 978-0020420903

Meet Thomas Jefferson
                          (plus selection from
                          The Declaration of Independence)
                          Marvin Barrett
                          ISBN-13: 978-0375812118

15 and 16
                          If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
                          Elizabeth Levy
                          ISBN-13: 978-0590451598

4th of July Story
                          (For Summary and Review)
                          Alice Dalgliesh
                          ISBN-13: 978-0689718762

2nd semester

Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
                          Augusta Stevenson
                          ISBN-13: 978-0020418306

Johnny Appleseed
                          Reeve Lindbergh
                          ISBN-13: 978-0316526340

Robert Fulton: Boy Craftsman
                          Marguerite Henry
                          ISBN-13: 978-1887840255

How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
                          Rosalyn Schanzer
                          ISBN-13: 978-0792267263

(1800s)
                          The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
                          Jacqueline Davies
                          ISBN-13: 978-0618243433

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
                          Barb Rosenstock
                          ISBN-13: 978-1590789322

Star Spangled Banner
                          Peter Spier
                          ISBN-13: 978-0440406976

Meet Abraham Lincoln
                          Barbara Cary
                          ISBN-13: 978-0375803963

Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross
                          Augusta Stevenson
                          ISBN-13: 978-0020418207

Riding the Pony Express
                          Clyde Robert Bulla
                          ISBN-13: 978-1887840408

Locomotive
                          Brian Floca
                          ISBN-13: 978-1416994152

George Washington Carver
                          Tonya Bolden
                          ISBN-13: 978-1419718397

Thomas Alva Edison
                          Margaret Cousins
                          ISBN-13: 978-0394848839

Helen Keller
                          Margaret Davidson
                          ISBN-13: 978-0590424042

(1900s)
                          The Wright Brothers: Pioneers of American Aviation
                          Quentin Reynolds
                          ISBN-13: 978-0394847009

Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer
                          Montrew Dunham
                          ISBN-13: 978-0689809958

8-WEEK EXTENSION AND
                          REVIEW
                          Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans
                          Edward Eggleston
                          Memoria Press

Hi! I'm anxiously awaiting SC3! I'm sure others are too! Did you specifically schedule FSR E in SC3, or will it be more like a note "complete this if you have not yet".
                          Christine

(2018-2019)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                          DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                          DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                            Hi! I'm anxiously awaiting SC3! I'm sure others are too! Did you specifically schedule FSR E in SC3, or will it be more like a note "complete this if you have not yet".
                            We scheduled it into the very beginning of SC 3. But in the Curriculum Guide, we provide an easy-to-follow alternate phonics/reading plan for anyone who does not need to teach (or review) FSR E.

Comment

We scheduled it into the very beginning of SC 3. But in the Curriculum Guide, we provide an easy-to-follow alternate phonics/reading plan for anyone who does not need to teach (or review) FSR E.
                              Great! I was hoping it was scheduled! We did "do it", but I would really like to review (or do) it!
                              Christine

(2018-2019)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                              DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Comment

Yes! They are confusing. I think there are Rod and Staff fact families and then OTHER fact families that make no sense to those of us who are used to R&S. Ha. So here's my guess - if they say that they go through 12 - then 12 has to be the greatest number included in the ones you are adding (12+12=24 - wouldn't have 13+11=24 because 13>12) and 12 would be the highest number subtracted as well (24-12=12 not 24-13=11). I think most brands don't have the mirror facts too. The ones I have do and they say "complete" set on them and specifically show that they do. That's the reason I bought them. I'm hoping the ones I ordered for multiplication and division have all I need. Who knows? It's a gamble.

I tried to tell my son that the 2nd grade shows us all the ways to combine numbers to 18. He said no its not . . . 10+1=11, etc. I had to really think where the line is -- the two one digit numbers that add up to the total. So concrete that child. Always looking for the exception.
                                Susan

2018-2019

Comment

Working...
                                X