Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC2, over 2 years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC2, over 2 years?

I am really good at putting the cart before the horse, but wondered your thoughts on the following:

We have had to take a little step back from SC2, but SC1 doesn't really seem the place for us either. Unfortunately, we had to leave the SC2 phonics program after my daughter was not making much progress and still seemed to need a super slow pace. I decided on All About Reading. We are doing Level 1. My initial thoughts on the program were not great. However, I am sticking with it and I can see how it is working. I did think that I would just use it for subsequent children, but it is so slow, I hope my others do not need it. It IS the right speed for her. There is no writing and I actually think that SC1 really has more multi-sensory activities than All About Reading, but I am beginning to understand the method now (that AAR employs). (I always thought AAR was a "multi-sensory" program, meaning the kids would be moving their bodies,! - which is included in the SC1 plans). Anyway, if anyone wants to pm me about AAR, feel free. If your child needs to go super slow, I say go for it. If your child simply needs multi-sensory, I wouldn't spend the money on it (I thought each level was a year long course. This is not the case though. There are only 52 lessons a level. A child might need a whole year to complete, but it is unlikely, so you are talking over $200 for 1 year)! However, my post wasn't about AAR so much as how I plan to proceed this year.

We are still doing all of the Recitations, Cursive, Writing, Copybook and Enrichment. I own, however, both editions of writing and the cursive copybook. I had planned to complete any unused portions of either writing and do the cursive copybook over the summer. I'm wondering now though if maybe we should plan to repeat SC2 next year, using the SC2 phonics (I'm hoping she might be ready, with a few levels of AAR under her belt). We would then use the writing book we did not use this year and the cursive copybook, alongside NAC2. My son will do SC1 next year, so Enrichment could come from there.

I suppose the good news is, we can just reassess at the end of the year and see if she is ready for SC3 or if another year of SC2 would be helpful. However, one of the reasons for this consideration is to try and spend less $$! We will do what is appropriate, regardless of cost, but it is a consideration!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Re: SC2, over 2 years?

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    I'm wondering now though if maybe we should plan to repeat SC2 next year, using the SC2 phonics (I'm hoping she might be ready, with a few levels of AAR under her belt). We would then use the writing book we did not use this year and the cursive copybook, alongside NAC2. My son will do SC1 next year, so Enrichment could come from there.

I suppose the good news is, we can just reassess at the end of the year and see if she is ready for SC3 or if another year of SC2 would be helpful.

Either option could work well. Let's see how she progresses in her reading. When you feel ready, you might even teach SC 2 Phonics/Reading/Spelling as a semester-long bridge to SC 3.

For now, she is making good progress. We will just keep that cart firmly harnessed to the back of that horse.

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      I am really good at putting the cart before the horse, but wondered your thoughts on the following:

We have had to take a little step back from SC2, but SC1 doesn't really seem the place for us either. Unfortunately, we had to leave the SC2 phonics program after my daughter was not making much progress and still seemed to need a super slow pace. I decided on All About Reading. We are doing Level 1. My initial thoughts on the program were not great. However, I am sticking with it and I can see how it is working. I did think that I would just use it for subsequent children, but it is so slow, I hope my others do not need it. It IS the right speed for her. There is no writing and I actually think that SC1 really has more multi-sensory activities than All About Reading, but I am beginning to understand the method now (that AAR employs). (I always thought AAR was a "multi-sensory" program, meaning the kids would be moving their bodies,! - which is included in the SC1 plans). Anyway, if anyone wants to pm me about AAR, feel free. If your child needs to go super slow, I say go for it. If your child simply needs multi-sensory, I wouldn't spend the money on it (I thought each level was a year long course. This is not the case though. There are only 52 lessons a level. A child might need a whole year to complete, but it is unlikely, so you are talking over $200 for 1 year)! However, my post wasn't about AAR so much as how I plan to proceed this year.

We are still doing all of the Recitations, Cursive, Writing, Copybook and Enrichment. I own, however, both editions of writing and the cursive copybook. I had planned to complete any unused portions of either writing and do the cursive copybook over the summer. I'm wondering now though if maybe we should plan to repeat SC2 next year, using the SC2 phonics (I'm hoping she might be ready, with a few levels of AAR under her belt). We would then use the writing book we did not use this year and the cursive copybook, alongside NAC2. My son will do SC1 next year, so Enrichment could come from there.

I suppose the good news is, we can just reassess at the end of the year and see if she is ready for SC3 or if another year of SC2 would be helpful. However, one of the reasons for this consideration is to try and spend less $$! We will do what is appropriate, regardless of cost, but it is a consideration!
      How did you decide that SC2 was not working? I know you have heard a lot of my struggles with Clara, and they seem really similar to a lot of what you have been going through. It seems we have been able to zip through the beginning of SC1 because this is now the 5th or 6th program to try to teach her reading, but I am starting to think that she has actually just memorized words all of the words that she can read (which would explain her ability to read words like giraffe and busy), but she still cannot sound out "that" and "rag." She can read the entire Little Bear book, but cannot read some of those same words in other books so I am wondering if she is just getting context and remembering from previous readings. It is very frustrating, as I am sure you know, and would just like to know if there is anything in particular I should be looking out for as we move into book C of First Start Reading (which is the first book that will cover a couple of things she has not been taught in the past). Thanks for all the help you offer everyone here, Christine!
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
        How did you decide that SC2 was not working? I know you have heard a lot of my struggles with Clara, and they seem really similar to a lot of what you have been going through. It seems we have been able to zip through the beginning of SC1 because this is now the 5th or 6th program to try to teach her reading, but I am starting to think that she has actually just memorized words all of the words that she can read (which would explain her ability to read words like giraffe and busy), but she still cannot sound out "that" and "rag." She can read the entire Little Bear book, but cannot read some of those same words in other books so I am wondering if she is just getting context and remembering from previous readings. It is very frustrating, as I am sure you know, and would just like to know if there is anything in particular I should be looking out for as we move into book C of First Start Reading (which is the first book that will cover a couple of things she has not been taught in the past). Thanks for all the help you offer everyone here, Christine!
        I am still trying to figure it all out myself, Jen! SC2 begins with "Moose Moments" readers. They are similar to the ALS readers, decodable etc. The first book is "A Grand Cat". All words are short vowels only, but may contain blends. The first day of "school" was like nails on a chalkboard with that story. We kept going though. We made it all the way through the 3 books and then on a random review day (that I "planned") I had her reading words that I wrote on cards from stories she read. My "correct" pile and "wrong" pile were never the same. We did the cards several days in a row and it was unbelievably frustrating. She does just like Clara and read much harder books than the ALS readers, but she isn't REALLY reading them. She's guessing her way through them. I suspect that Clara is super smart and can just figure out what the words are supposed to say. I suspect Dyslexia, but I'm really not sure. The only "for sure" thing we have noted from our neuropsychology exam is a low working memory. It is possible she just had reached a saturation point and she could not learn anything more at the time I was trying to teach her. FSR book D was almost disastrous for us. We were following the MPK plans and they jump around a bit. In one week she was learning long vowels and several blends and constant teams. It was too much for her to absorb. Then, to make it worse, we just continued on with FSR E. I finally talked to Cheryl about it a bit and we agreed we needed to do something else for a bit. The options seemed to be Barton or AAR. I could not find Barton tudors in our area and to be come trained myself would take a long time. I thought I would just try AAR. We zipped along through half the lessons and then hit a road block with the blends came up again. This is probably where we should have stopped long, long ago. We got past that hurdle, but the remaining lessons were just more of the same, just diffrent blends, MUCH slower. I have been shocked at her progress. I don't know if the pace is what is making a difference or if she is just now ready to learn them. It will be interesting to see what happens in level two, when we start re-learing the long vowels and vowel teams. I'm bracing myself for needing to just stop again.

Otherwise, we are progressing with SC2 in all other areas. I think her reading is finally ACTUALLY up to Little Bear and we plan to add back in the Simply Classical Storytime treasures, alongside AAR. We will see how AAR level 2 goes before deciding what we will do for reading and spelling beyond that. AAR recommends starting AAS level 1, after AAR level 1 is done. I have it, again, we'll see how it goes.

I don't know that AAR is the right answer for everyone though. I know you have invested a lot in changing things around and it might be worth it to continue with FSR, using the SC1 plans. If she is having trouble with book C, go slower.... Also, did you read the book "Phonics A to z" that SC1 recommends? IT was UBER helpful!

You can try these things to help: 1) Word flippers - for word families. (do you know what these are?) 2) Word changers/ladders? You start with bat, but then change one letter, bat goes to cat to cap to nap - etc. 3) Write words on notecards and have her sort them according to word family. 4) You can spread out words written on cards and she can stand in the middle of them - you call out the words and she jumps to them.

Also, something that AAR does that FSR does not is it has a long list of phrases, and then sentences. So there would be a few columns of

a grand cat her sad dog

Then it would say

A grand
        A grand cat
        A grand cat was fat.

There are several of these. You could make these up yourself with the words you have. In my opinion, I learned it is better to stop and review then move on and add more things she is not ready to learn yet. She needs to REALLY learn them. If she is struggling with Fun in the Sun, she probably needs to stay there awhile.

I understand being frustrated because of her age and what it is perceived that she should be doing. You need to meet her where she is at and accept that though. This will lessen the frustration.

Good luck!!

P.S. - I really wanted to get back to you, but last night was beyond rough. I tried to proof read, but I can still see terrible grammar errors! All 3 kids woke up, at varying times and sometimes overlapping. I never really went to sleep, until around 5 am! I'm really tired! :-) Off to bed now!
        Christine

(2018-2019)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
        DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
        X