Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Using 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade MP literature with dyslexic child

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade MP literature with dyslexic child

Thank you for the tips!

I had her use a "Special Decoding Card" when she read aloud to me. I got a ton of resistance so much so that I had to put the card on the page/word to have her work through the word. But I'm going to insist she use it. By the end of the time, she was trying to sound out unrecognizable words. That's progress even with the fussing.

I will try the highlighting strategy next! And the fancy finger sounds good too!

How long should I have her read aloud? 20 minutes? Too long? Remember she struggles a lot with reading aloud, hates it and shows dyslexic behaviors when doing so.

Thanks!

Comment

20-30 minutes is good. But you can break that up into two different sessions. One could be literature (the more challenging) and the other phonetic readers.

Michelle T

Comment

Michelle,
        Two sessions sound good. Which phonetic readers do you recommend for a 3rd grader that wouldn't look too "babyish?" She did all of the Primary Phonics readers through set 6 already and might discourage her now given the format.
        Thanks for your help!

Comment

Have you seen the Moose Moments readers included in SC2? They're really good.

I would also recommend first or second grade Hooked on Phonics readers.

My kids love Pathway readers from milestonebooks. The grade 1 books would be good. There are three grade one readers, start with the first one.
          Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
          DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
          DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Moose Moment would be good. So would the ALS Readers At the Farm, On the Trail and Sounds of the Sea. Most phonetic readers will sound babish because the stories are somewhat contrived in order to include the correct phonogram practice. Explain to your child that the readers will seem a bit silly but their purpose is to build speed. When balanced with reading from real literature it should be more palatable.

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

I love all of the suggestions here. As mentioned above, I like to "pre-decode" with my DS any words I know he might stumble on. I cover the word and then uncover one phoneme at a time. If he stumbles on a word and doesn't stop, and if I don't want to stop his reading "flow", I will make a note, either mental or written, of that word/words and we go through it when he's done.

So I might say, "That was great! Let's look at a couple of words."

These are my son's favorite books. They're wonderful practice without any feeling of babyish-ness.

http://www.highnoonbooks.com/index-hnb.tpl
              Gina
              Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
              (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
              DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
              DD-9
              DS-8

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi View Post
                I love all of the suggestions here. As mentioned above, I like to "pre-decode" with my DS any words I know he might stumble on. I cover the word and then uncover one phoneme at a time. If he stumbles on a word and doesn't stop, and if I don't want to stop his reading "flow", I will make a note, either mental or written, of that word/words and we go through it when he's done.

So I might say, "That was great! Let's look at a couple of words."

These are my son's favorite books. They're wonderful practice without any feeling of babyish-ness.

http://www.highnoonbooks.com/index-hnb.tpl
                Just want to chime in and say that I've used these books too. I've only used the first part of set A of the phonics chapter books (short vowels only) but my son really enjoyed them. He liked that they were chapter books, so they felt more grown up. We have shelved them for now until he can read the second 1/2 of the set (long vowels/vowel digraphs). The ALS readers are great too. We're slowly working our way through Scamp and Tramp to practice practice practice blends.
                Susan

2018-2019
                A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
                C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
                G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
                X