Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Seeking diagnosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking diagnosis

My 11 year old, who I've posted about before is struggling at times. I'd like to persue further diagnosis to see if there is more than ADHD and sensory issues happening. Specifically, I'm wondering about high functioning autism, mood disorders, and anxiety. Do you think evaluation with a neurologists is necessary or helpful? Is this something a psychologist or psychiatrist can handle?

He has started OT for sensory issues, and she has akready gotten him to write a paragraph! Also, working on calming. Thanks!
    Michelle in Central Tx
    DS 12 (4A modified), Ds 9 (4M), DS 5 (K)

Re: Seeking diagnosis

Because of the suspected mood disorder and anxiety, I would begin with a child/adolescent psychiatrist. Look at bios before selecting, so you can find someone specializing in autism.

We found an adolescent psychiatrist who trained at Johns Hopkins under top autism researchers. This person became our main treating psychiatrist. We saw this person every 8 weeks.

We also sought help from a neurologist for migraine, movement disorder, and sleep disorder. But this was secondary for us. We saw this person only every six months.

The two worked together regarding medications and testing, but for us, psych always trumped neuro. Given the mood issues in your situation, I would begin with psychiatry. Sometimes children's hospitals will offer a free or low-cost psych clinic. If not, you can see if your insurance covers psychiatry.

Age 11 is a good time to get established with someone. I hope you find someone responsive and capable. For us, the support has been invaluable.

Comment

Working...
    X