Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Accelerating Simply Classical 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerating Simply Classical 1

Cheryl and Michelle, you may remember that I discovered that Clara can actually read at the level of at least a 2nd grader recently, but she has not had proper phonics instruction. You recommended that I use the SC1 plans to go through First Start Reading, which we are doing. My new problem is that I do not think that we are doing this quickly enough. I think we could finish the entire series before the end of January, which could put her on track to catch up to age/grade level (she is 8), but I cannot also do all of the enrichment parts of the curriculum and do this. Is there any reason I could not or should not do the phonics at the rate of about one week's worth of phonics in two days, yet do enrichment each day as written in the plans and then either not finish the enrichment or do the enrichment while we start on 1st grade or SC2? I am sorry to always be bothering you with all of these questions. Thank you to anyone else who might have this situation and has any thoughts about this, too.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Re: Accelerating Simply Classical 1

JeJe,

Since your goal is working on catching up to a specific age level in phonics, I am of the opinion that you can certainly focus instruction on just that subject. You can always save enrichment and pick it back up later. I don't see any problem with that at all.

Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
      JeJe,

Since your goal is working on catching up to a specific age level in phonics, I am of the opinion that you can certainly focus instruction on just that subject. You can always save enrichment and pick it back up later. I don't see any problem with that at all.

Michelle
      Thank you, Michelle! I would love to get to start MP 1st grade this school year and maybe finish it to get Clara up to speed. I think MP 1st is more like a 2nd grade program, anyway, compared to the other curricula we have far too extensively investigated, so I would be fine with having Clara be a grade down from the MP level and then putting her in the accelerated program when she goes into 4th grade. That would be such a blessing!
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

This is about the pace my daughter has worked through FSR.

We usually do 2 days worth of curriculum in a day. Keep in mind you don't have to do every single phonics workbook thing. The course uses both Core skills k and core skills 1, but the pages are pretty similar in content. Both also have writing the letter repeatedly. I usually just have her write the letter in the FSR book, but only require her to write the letters in the other books if she needs the practice. I also just have her circle her answer, not color the pictures as the instructions say.

We do just one scheduled workday on the assessment day, though. I also sometimes break the assessment into 2 days with another day mixed in. So, do the first page of assessment on Thursday with Thursday stuff and finish the assessment on friday.

This is working through the traditional core k, not SC1, but the content is very similar.

Also, she is doing SC2 enrichment with her older brother who uses that core exclusively. So, you can pick and choose enrichment a la cart without fear.
        Last edited by Colomama; 10-18-2016, 07:41 PM.
        Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
        DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
        DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Hi, Jeje.

Yes! Agreeing with all of the above. Just be sure to add FSR E, if you did not already plan to do this. Then she should be ready to go.

Congratulations on moving past the shock and onto the teaching!

Cheryl

Comment

We are continuing to do well with the reading and phonics part, plus math and science/read-alouds/art/music enrichment. This is going to sound terrible, but the thing we are having most difficulty with is The Story Bible. Clara does not want to listen to 2 or 3 stories from it every day. We are woefully behind in it. Do we use The Story Bible again in SC3? I am thinking of stopping worrying about it and realizing that she is getting all the Bible Stories in her religion classes and accepting that if we will use it again we will get to do all of the activities that are in it then. Is this a bad idea?
            JeJe Greer
            Mom to:
            Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
            Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Hi Jeje,

I absolutely defer to Cheryl and the more experienced moms, however I can tell you that we do not always do the Bible stories. My son is in MP 1. This is our third year with MP, and I can say with confidence that giving ourselves permission to focus on the essentials and leave out the Bible stories when we need to has been very helpful. Like your child, he gets Bible stories from other sources, and does not have gaps in this area. Sometimes taking the pressure off of both of you allows for greater success with less stress.
              Drew-- MP 1st
              Augustine-- Using consumables from SC B as prep for Jr. K
              Margot-- 2 years old
              Gregory-- 7 months old

Comment

The Story Bible does reappear, for the last time, in SC3. The Childs Garden of Bible Stories is used in SC2.

When we did SC1 last year we fell behind in the Bible as well. I have found that splitting it up helps. Read a story at breakfast. Read another mid-morning. Read one to finish off the afternoon. You'll quickly catch up. You can also read a story or two over the weekend.

I would say, don't let it stress you. I would honestly just start fresh next week. And at the end of the week, turn the page in the guide to the next week. If you read them all, great. If not, move on. So if you're on week 12 (or wherever) on her main subjects just hop to Bible for that week. She'll eventually get them all. She has a lifetime to go
                Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                  We are continuing to do well with the reading and phonics part, plus math and science/read-alouds/art/music enrichment. This is going to sound terrible, but the thing we are having most difficulty with is The Story Bible. Clara does not want to listen to 2 or 3 stories from it every day. We are woefully behind in it. Do we use The Story Bible again in SC3? I am thinking of stopping worrying about it and realizing that she is getting all the Bible Stories in her religion classes and accepting that if we will use it again we will get to do all of the activities that are in it then. Is this a bad idea?
                  If she is growing in her biblical literacy through other Bible stories, then yes, feel free to omit this.

Another option might be to show her the 2-3 stories each day and have her choose the one she would like to hear. You could begin at Creation or begin where the Curriculum Guide currently places you. For example, my daughter was always partial to stories about young Samuel, Ruth, and Esther. Clara might develop her own favorites, which might help her engage more readily.

Or you might choose only those related to Copybook.

Or you could catch up at various times throughout the day, as Colomama suggested.

You will see The Story Bible again in SC 3. By this time (especially now that we know she reads!), the collection will become a reader for her. Furthermore, it will become the basis for her SC writing. All of this will be enhanced by the activities which, as you mention, you could defer until then.

You have our complete permission to do any of these: Catch up by beginning now to read when time permits, ignore the guide and let her select only her preferred stories, teach only the stories related to her Copybook, or omit the collection entirely for now. No pressure!

Thanks-
                  Cheryl

Comment

Thank you all for the comments about the Bible Stories. When we were doing 1 day at a time it was fine, but trying to get her to move along faster it has become too much (especially since I am unable to go past a story without us doing the activities that go with it!). I could do one of the 2 a day we are trying to do for a bedtime story, but then I get all hyper about not doing the activity. Type A personality problems!
                    JeJe Greer
                    Mom to:
                    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Working...
                    X