Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Pacing MPK for 4-1/2 year old with executive function/sensory type issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacing MPK for 4-1/2 year old with executive function/sensory type issues

As mentioned in other posts on the forums, our 4-1/2 year old already did most of the Jr. K Alphabet books so we decided to start her in FSR A with her MPK siblings, just adjusting it for her pace. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time figuring out what that pace is.

The first week she did weeks 1 and 2 in the FSR A book (her siblings' pace) and two pages a day in her Numbers & Colors book (she didn't do that one last year). She then told me one night that her tummy hurt because of school. She was also waking at 3am every night, needing me to sit with her for a few minutes. She does this whenever she is stressed, the schedule changes, etc. but since she also mentioned her tummy I decided to slow things down this week instead of just waiting for the adjustment period to subside.

We introduced the letter S from week 3 and then on the other days we played an I Spy/labeling the house game or colored in the Animal Alphabet coloring book. Today I was going to have her practice writing the letter S, but she wanted to move on to the letter N -- Week 4 in FSR!

She's slowed down in her Numbers/Colors book, often doing only part of a page. My concern is that, from past experience with a similarly wired sibling, letting her set her own pace could backfire next year when it's time for her to really do school. She'll expect that she can dictate what she does and how much each day instead of following what I say. Been there, done that. At the same time I don't want her stressing out at 4!

I thought about switching her to the SCC plans for FSR A, but I'm worried about those being too slow? She is a sensory-seeker when stressed so I thought the sensory options in SCC might help, but she seems to enjoy the writing in her workbooks and if she doesn't have a regular dose of that she'll get frustrated. It's such a delicate balance sometimes.

Interestingly, she stopped wanting to color in her FSR and Numbers books. She still colors in the Animal Alphabet book and draws all day, but she won't color in her workbooks which is a definite change for her.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Re: Pacing MPK for 4-1/2 year old with executive function/sensory type issues

I see by your signature that you've been blessed with a house full of little ones. Has your quality of time with her changed since starting school?

I say this because maybe your relationship has changed. She's gone from having fun at school, but still being mama's little girl most of the time to this year being mama's little student. Maybe make sure that you're still giving her mama time and not just teacher time.

Also, this year the youngest in your group demands more attention and that might be stressing her too.

I think SCC would be a great option. Remember that you can buy individual lesson plans, not the whole thing. So, if you want to just adjust the phonics pace just buy those plans.

I would also consider SCC because it sounds like youre seriously tweaking K. In the long term, she cannot keep pace with the 7 year old...maybe it's better to separate her to her own core now rather than later?
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      I see by your signature that you've been blessed with a house full of little ones. Has your quality of time with her changed since starting school?

I say this because maybe your relationship has changed. She's gone from having fun at school, but still being mama's little girl most of the time to this year being mama's little student. Maybe make sure that you're still giving her mama time and not just teacher time.

Also, this year the youngest in your group demands more attention and that might be stressing her too.

I think SCC would be a great option. Remember that you can buy individual lesson plans, not the whole thing. So, if you want to just adjust the phonics pace just buy those plans.

I would also consider SCC because it sounds like youre seriously tweaking K. In the long term, she cannot keep pace with the 7 year old...maybe it's better to separate her to her own core now rather than later?
      You bring up some good points here. We're in the middle of a tight deadline for a work project so I go straight from school to my computer. She plays well by herself (usually!) so between that and an increase in screen time so we can work, it's easy for her to get lost in the mix. We've been letting her camp out in our room for a little bit before going to bed, but yeah, I need to set aside some story time for her.

Thankfully, the 1 year old hasn't been too demanding so that's been a huge help. But I am spreading my teaching between E and her two closest siblings so that could be causing her to stress out. We start between 7:30 and 8 each morning so we can all be done by 12 when I have to switch gears for work...I'll have to think more about how I can separate her teaching time.
      Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
      7M with:

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

I should say, for Cheryl's sake, that the reason we opted for FSR A and the Numbers/Colors book instead of SCC as she originally recommended was because I couldn't afford another core financially or time-wise.

Is there anywhere to view the FSR portion of SCC? The online samples don't cover that part of the year. Or would I need to get the SCC phonics plans and additional books to go with them and just do the full year of SCC phonics?
        Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
        7M with:

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post

I agree with all of the above.

It is good to take a moment to reassess your plan for your little 4-1/2 year old. And you are wise to realize that letting her decide what she will or will not do, day by day, moment by moment, is not a good long-term plan! You have at least three options:

1. Keep going as is, but insist on her completing only what is needful. You choose ahead of time. Then, in your non-school time, add plenty of "mama time," like Colomama suggested, so she is not feeling pressured. Read-alouds are such important, cozy parts of learning to love books, that this is even more important for a typical 4-1/2 year old than daily lessons. Try to carve in some down time into family life, so everything is not overly regimented (and stomach-ache inducing).

2. If you can afford it, purchase the SC Level C Curriculum Guide. Look through the SC C guide. Determine what she has already completed. Determine which phonics/reading books and workbooks you would need to teach SC C reading. Combine for other subjects this year, if you need to, but separate her reading instruction from the other children's reading instruction. This would be my preferred plan for her, unless she is very clearly ready to learn to read.

In SC C, we work a long time on phonemic awareness before we even approach FSR. SC C is designed for children with learning struggles and for children who lack phonological awareness. We take the full semester Mrs. Lowe recommends for all phonological awareness (after doing this in Level B as well), and then we dive into FSR late in SC Level C.

3. If she is truly ready to read right now, but you want more help than MP K, you need SC Level 1. Obtain the Curriculum Guide for Level 1, as described in #2, OR obtain only the phonics/reading plans for Level 1. You will already have many of the books you need. In Level 1, we begin FSR A immediately, but we do this with all of the added, no-cost or low-cost sensory work built in. We utilize the written portions of FSR all the way through Level 1 for yet another "pathway" to joining sounds with letters, and vice versa. SC 1 is comparable to MP K in academic progression but sometimes feels more like play, because of the playdough, Wikki sticks, and other tools built in.

Really assess her readiness to read, not just to "do school."

Reading readiness is the key. (An ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of reading/emotional remediation!)

What do you think?

Btw, you're doing well to listen to your daughter's warning signs and readjust right away. This is a good example for all of us.

Thanks-
          Cheryl

Comment

I typed a whole thing, but not sure my situation is relevant to yours. I am doing SCC with my 5 year old son. He could have done SC1 this year. I am beyond thrilled we are doing SCC though. It is such a fabulous program. I so wish I would have known about it two years ago with my oldest. My oldest had fabulous phoneme awareness at 4. She knew the sounds all the letters made and she could hear them in any position (beginning, middle, end, etc.). She could not, however, blend. I mean, she kind of got it, but not really. FSRA would have frustrated her.

I wish for you, that you could do SCC. The growth in my son in the 7 weeks since we began is amazing. He doesn't always love it, but the routine has been established. The first 2 weeks with my son were less than fun, but now he doesn't "hate" school. It took us 2 weeks to do the first week, because he would refuse. We know have a rhythm and he just kind of does it. Occasionally, he won't want to stop playing, so I will start with the story. It.gets.him.every.time. Once he has joined me, I can get him to the desk for the seat work. There have been times where I only planned to do a few activities that day, but he will see the books and ask "why aren't we doing x?". I know it would mean repeating the alphabet books, but it sets the mood. It sets the rhythm and it is achievable. That being said, my oldest would have been pretty upset if I made her do a workbook again, so I get that you didn't/don't want to do that. If you really don't think that is the route you want to take, doing the SC1 plans for phonics seems like the most achievable option, and include her in the enrichment with the other K'ers. I would still be prepared that at the end of A, you may need to repeat.

Good luck! These wonderful choices to ponder sometimes are gut wrenching! Too many good things, but we can't do them all!!
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              I agree with all of the above.

Really assess her readiness to read, not just to "do school."
              This has really stuck with me. She told me last night that she likes her number book but "not letters" and today she just wanted to play after joining in with the K recitation, which she seems to enjoy. She also said that she wouldn't mind doing the Alphabet Books again, so I think her "not letters" has to do with FSR. I think we may switch to the SCC phonics plans for her but hold off on starting them until she says she's ready. Then it can be a "this is what we do each day" thing from there.

Thank you to everyone for your help -- all my littles spent lunchtime listening to me read poems from the K poetry book. Thank you for the reminder Colomama!
              Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
              7M with:

DS11
              SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
              Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
              SC Level C

Comment

Jen,

One more quick thought --

Remember that you can and will begin good ear training without her requesting this. When you read poetry, have her listen for rhyming words. When you read predictable books, have her fill in the ending phrases. When you ride along in the car, play "I Spy..." things that begin with /b/, then /m/, and so on.

Ear training is still needed before she begins to read. SC C merely formalizes this for those who need more systematic building of phonological awareness before learning to read.

You sound like you have a good plan now. Keep us posted!

Cheryl

Comment

A short update:

She hasn't wanted to do any school at all other than listening to our enrichment and our religion stories so I figured we would just leave it be for now. Then, when I was looking for some tips for my Kindergarteners, I came across a post from Sarah, describing what she does with her four year olds.

Based on what she described, I told E this morning that I had a new book to show her. We sat down on the floor and I opened Classical Phonics to the first letter and told her the name of the letter, the sound and then said the picture names, prolonging the initial sound as I said them. Then I showed her the next letter and said that when we combine them we get "a---a----a---m....a---a---m....am". She asked me to keep going and we ended up reading about 5 pages. She seemed to like it.

I'm wondering if the issue isn't letters and numbers, but the writing while learning them? I'm going to try this each day and see how it goes. It also gives a few minutes of one-on-one time.
                  Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
                  7M with:

DS11
                  SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8