Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

More reading suggestions/struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More reading suggestions/struggles

I was going to send Cheryl a private message, but thought her suggestions might help others.

DS7, who is doing SC2 has really made great progress. The Classical Phonics pages that she struggled with in May, she is reading fluently now. (but these were only the first 29 pages or so). Additionally, for other that do not know, Cheryl suggested an evaluation after her struggles (despite going through FSR A-D) with inconsistency in her reading. At her full neuropsyche evaluation, we learned that my daughter is actually quite intelligent! However, her scored showed "scatter" which means that she scored super high in some areas and super low in others. I guess the scores are supposed to be around the same numbers for all areas tested. This was helpful, because it does explain her inconsistency! She did the same thing for the testers!

So, this brings me to my current "problem". We just started week 6 and the "ar" sound etc is no trouble for her and she read all the "At the Farm" stories quite well. The problem is when she has to decide if a vowel is long or short. I went through the flashcards from the last few weeks and made them two sided (rod/rode, seat/set). We went through the cards 3x times (at different settings). There are probably 20ish words. She was still inconsistent on when she got the words right or wrong. The "wrong" pile was never the same. However, it was small, maybe 3-5. Oddly, she consistently got "ran" wrong. She said "rain" every.single.time. She did read "rain" correctly though, never reading "ran". The first two times we went through the cards she actually got seat and set correct, but the 3x time she went super "crazy" and for seat she tried to make something like screatch. I mean, not even a word. I do wonder if fatigue plays into it as well, because the third round she actually got the MOST wrong, instead of the least wrong. (oh, right, the evaluator did say she might have ADHD...ok....got that, so yes, fatigue could play into it).

So, do you have suggestions of where we should proceed? It doesn't seem too much trouble to keep working on short/long vowels, while continuing through the SC2 curriculum. The inconsistency is hard to judge whether to move forward or not. When she got the words "wrong", 75% of the time, she did self correct. A few times I had to say "look at the word again" should that be a short vowel or a long vowel, and she answered correctly each time.

Hm, after typing all this, I realize this maybe is not JUST a reading problem, which it always seems that way. The evaluation did say short lessons. She does her seat work fairly well. We usually do everything I need to help her with and she completes all her math sheets by herself. She also does the phonics sheet(s), by herself. She reads the directions to herself. She does come find me if she needs help. She seems to stay fairly focused on these, as long as there are not too many sheets. The more I think about it, there are usually more mistakes (silly ones, not because she can't do it) the more sheets there are.

Whoa..my thoughts are a little scattered here because the more I write this, the more I kind of see what is happening! (don't you love that!). However, in the mist of my "revelation" I do still go back to some reading issues. She does seem to struggle with "s" words - blends, or just starting with s. She frequently adds/subtracts letters from words beginning with s (other than maybe sat). CK and CH seem to also give her trouble. ("Chick" she gets wrong almost every time. - Hey, maybe there is some consistency!) - "cheek" - she might say chick for.

Adding an s to the end of a word and adding "ed" also cause her trouble, almost every time. "Says" is on her spelling list this week and she can neither spell or read that word! (She wants to read "say-s".)

The Children's Garden of Bible stories has been such a blessing! The youngest is to read the stories (though the stories are off from her guide, but we are going with the SC2 ones). My youngest has been enjoying the stories! I am so impressed! We read the story we were supposed to read today (Abraham and Issac). My youngest then said "How about the one with the tree in the middle they are not supposed to eat". I want to hear that one. DS7 asked to read it. She did a nice job (again, so frustrating that she can read that nearly fluently, but then can't read "ran"???!) (she's heard the story so many times though).

I really can't tell you how happy I am with the SC2/SCC choices this year. It is by far from sunshine and roses daily, but the growth, in just 6 weeks, is amazing (including for Mom - you are teaching MOM, which I am realizing is equally as important and the kids!!!! ) (The SC-C crafts are a "growing" experience for my oldest though. If she "messes" up, she loses it. It becomes so not fun and I never want to do another craft again, but I know they are teaching us all something, so we will press on).
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Re: More reading suggestions/struggles

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    The Children's Garden of Bible stories has been such a blessing! ... We read the story we were supposed to read today (Abraham and Issac). My youngest then said "How about the one with the tree in the middle they are not supposed to eat". I want to hear that one. DS7 asked to read it. She did a nice job.

I really can't tell you how happy I am with the SC2/SCC choices this year. ...[T]he growth, in just 6 weeks, is amazing (including for Mom - you are teaching MOM, which I am realizing is equally as important and the kids!!!! )
    Thank you for this, Christine. I especially love the picture of your older daughter reading to her little sister. Sunshine and roses, indeed!

Let's take the crafts first:

(The SC-C crafts are a "growing" experience for my oldest though. If she "messes" up, she loses it. It becomes so not fun and I never want to do another craft again, but I know they are teaching us all something, so we will press on).

Are you teaching those in parts, as in the lesson plans? If not, try doing that first. If you're already teaching them in steps by the plans, can you break down the instructions into even smaller steps, so she succeeds? Or maybe pre-assemble a few more pieces, so she has less to do? Those crafts really should be an enjoyable bonus, not a stressful chore. See if taking smaller, more successful "bites" helps.

To the reading:

Self-correction
    She self-corrects approximately 75% of the time. This may mean that some of this, as you suspect, might be related to fatigue, impulsivity, or some combination of the two. Shorter lessons should boost her percentage correct with both her initial answers and her self-corrections a little bit.

Vowels
    You mention vowels and that it would not be difficult to isolate vowels while moving forward. You can "press pause" in your lessons and isolate the vowels, if you want, or you can continue to work on vowels while proceeding with SC 2. As long as she is still reading with reasonable fluency, it seems that the more analytical portions of her lessons (i.e., is this long, or is this short) can be isolated while you continue. For example, short/long vowels can be added to the Opening as a target skill, or vowels can be their own pre-Phonics class opening each day.

Visual/Tactile
    Do you have vowel color-coded tiles? if you do, be sure to have her work with those during her phonics lessons. She can create the word in front of her. This will improve attention and may reduce impulsive answers. This set is a good option from your supply list, if you do not yet have something like this.

Closed/Open Syllables
    Based on her difficulty with the short/long pairs, she needs more than just instruction on vowels right now. Teach her closed syllables and open syllables. Here is a great little O-G video that shows you how to make your own closed/open flash cards. Use the terminology the O-G instructor uses. This closed/open idea could make a big "light bulb" difference for her with practice. You can make cards from the word pairs and from any troublesome words.

Combine all of the above. Teach in short, successful sessions. Teach vowels as an isolated, targeted skill. Use visual/tactile ways to make the skill submerge into her memory. And teach this "new" (to her) way of understanding how to read those confusing words. You can teach this with the tiles, if you have the color-coded-vowel tiles. Simply place the letters on the table. Take the closing consonant away, so the vowel can say its name. Then place it back. Take it away again. Place it back. Try again with another word.

See if those ideas help.

Remember, like your daughter with her crafts, this won't be perfect. But I'm so happy for you.

Comment

Re: More reading suggestions/struggles

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Thank you for this, Christine. I especially love the picture of your older daughter reading to her little sister. Sunshine and roses, indeed!

Let's take the crafts first:

(The SC-C crafts are a "growing" experience for my oldest though. If she "messes" up, she loses it. It becomes so not fun and I never want to do another craft again, but I know they are teaching us all something, so we will press on).

Are you teaching those in parts, as in the lesson plans? If not, try doing that first. If you're already teaching them in steps by the plans, can you break down the instructions into even smaller steps, so she succeeds? Or maybe pre-assemble a few more pieces, so she has less to do? Those crafts really should be an enjoyable bonus, not a stressful chore. See if taking smaller, more successful "bites" helps.

To the reading:

Self-correction
      She self-corrects approximately 75% of the time. This may mean that some of this, as you suspect, might be related to fatigue, impulsivity, or some combination of the two. Shorter lessons should boost her percentage correct with both her initial answers and her self-corrections a little bit.

Vowels
      You mention vowels and that it would not be difficult to isolate vowels while moving forward. You can "press pause" in your lessons and isolate the vowels, if you want, or you can continue to work on vowels while proceeding with SC 2. As long as she is still reading with reasonable fluency, it seems that the more analytical portions of her lessons (i.e., is this long, or is this short) can be isolated while you continue. For example, short/long vowels can be added to the Opening as a target skill, or vowels can be their own pre-Phonics class opening each day.

Visual/Tactile
      Do you have vowel color-coded tiles? if you do, be sure to have her work with those during her phonics lessons. She can create the word in front of her. This will improve attention and may reduce impulsive answers. This set is a good option from your supply list, if you do not yet have something like this.

Closed/Open Syllables
      Based on her difficulty with the short/long pairs, she needs more than just instruction on vowels right now. Teach her closed syllables and open syllables. Here is a great little O-G video that shows you how to make your own closed/open flash cards. Use the terminology the O-G instructor uses. This closed/open idea could make a big "light bulb" difference for her with practice. You can make cards from the word pairs and from any troublesome words.

Combine all of the above. Teach in short, successful sessions. Teach vowels as an isolated, targeted skill. Use visual/tactile ways to make the skill submerge into her memory. And teach this "new" (to her) way of understanding how to read those confusing words. You can teach this with the tiles, if you have the color-coded-vowel tiles. Simply place the letters on the table. Take the closing consonant away, so the vowel can say its name. Then place it back. Take it away again. Place it back. Try again with another word.

See if those ideas help.

Remember, like your daughter with her crafts, this won't be perfect. But I'm so happy for you.
      You can also play the "Stand Up, Sit Down" game for long and short vowels. Stand up when you hear a long vowel, sit down when you hear a short one. You can intersperse this during a fun time each school day at the "bookend" of your phonics sessions. My kids love it.
      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
      Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
      Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
      Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Working...
      X