Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Oh! It is going well! (Horatius at the Bridge)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! It is going well! (Horatius at the Bridge)

I had mentioned I was worried about doing Horatius at the Bridge with my ds with ASD who although has been out of speech still has a lot of intonation issues.
    Well he had the expected meltdown over the sheer size of the project although I assured him that there was no required amount that we were just going to do our best and enjoy it but we still has several days of weeping "I will never get it all! It is toooo looong!" before we could begin.

We read the info about Rome and watched the MP/Highlands videos. Ds noticed the students in the MP videos standing very tall when reciting. Ds commented. "It is like when I chant!"

One of his big goals is to be able to read/chant at church and so he practices standing and chanting the psalms aloud at home...I try not to correct that because it is personal prayer you know but he never remembers to put in appropriate pauses and it is so atonal and fast and not understandable to anyone outside the family.

Standing during memory work/ recitation work has never been a problem though he tends to walk around or bounce through it but he rushes though all his work there too. However since watching the video he has been taking his recitation over to the prayer corner to practice his Horatio, I was not sure if that was a good thing at first but I realized he is using the corner as a visual clue to help him remember what to do...be still, articulate, slow down...he has become very excited about it...I know he can memorize, after all he knows every game rule ever and most of the psalms but he never equated that ability with something he was doing or could choose to do with a lesson and now he is remembering to go slower like in the video and checking that he is using his hard sounds as he tends to go all vowels when excited and the slower rhythm is starting to creep into his prayer/Church chanting time too. And less fidgeting during lesson work is noticeable.

We are still working on mistakes not being meltdown day ruining events but his morning he came up to with me with a big grin and rattled off the first stanza quite clearly and bounced off again laughing and singing "I can do this!" It was cute and and so maybe it is a little thing but it feels like a big win!

So thanks for being encouraging and as always offering such great books to work with!
    Winter 2019 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 9 with remediation/support
    DD - core 6 with remediation/support
    DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Re: Oh! It is going well! (Horatius at the Bridge)

It IS a big win! Congratulations to both of you.

For anyone who missed it, here is our "Horatius & Autism" video link, shared a few months ago by permission from the family.

We know they will memorize something. Why not great, courageous poetry and Holy Scripture, rather than pop tunes and commercials?!

Good for you.

Thanks for this, MaggieAnnie. We would love to see his video -- standing tall -- when he feels comfortably finished reciting.

For anyone else who would like to attempt this, here is an example of nice posture and creative editing!

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      It IS a big win! Congratulations to both of you.

For anyone who missed it, here is our "Horatius & Autism" video link, shared a few months ago by permission from the family.

We know they will memorize something. Why not great, courageous poetry and Holy Scripture, rather than pop tunes and commercials?!

Good for you.

Thanks for this, MaggieAnnie. We would love to see his video -- standing tall -- when he feels comfortably finished reciting.

For anyone else who would like to attempt this, here is an example of nice posture and creative editing!

Cheryl
      HA! We will see if he lets me record him, he keeps asking " you are not going to make a video are you? ."
      He does not even like his picture taken.
      He may come around yet, he likes to show off as much as the next kid when he is proud of something.
      Winter 2019 :
      DD - Graduated!

Comment

Just thought I would update...he is at stanza 26 and has asked a church Uncle who is tech-y to film him when he gets to the end!

It may take the rest of the year but no hurry...lots of little steps adding up and he is still reciting with a grin

Though I am afraid we have all been "Pavlov'd" and random words now trigger the rest of us to recite of a line from listening to him recite every day...

Grandma says "that's a shame..." " on the false Etruscan who lingers in his home!" we all holler together much to Grandma's puzzlement ha!

Yeah we are that geeky family...
        Winter 2019 :
        DD - Graduated!

Comment

Outstanding! Great story.

Congratulations to the whole family. Very impressive.

Looking forward to seeing the video when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
          X