Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC2/SCC update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC2/SCC update!

Hi!

We are on week 5 of the curriculum guide, week 6 of our school year. I had to modify the schedule from the first few weeks because while it was running, I was going a little mad. :-)

This is kind of how it is working right now:

1) DD 3.5 up early - read to her, try and spend a few minutes on her "curriculum" - something from either SCA or SCB.

2) Breakfast for everyone (including myself) - I do get dressed before breakfast, the kids "wait" for me to get ready.

3) I eat fast, the kids are still eating and I read the Bible and either SC2 or SCC read aloud.

4) Little two (DD 5 and DD 3.5) run off somewhere..... DD 7 (SC2) does her Bible Writing, we are finishing this in 3 days, instead of 5. Day 1 is the first two sentences, Day 2 is the next 2 and Day 3 is the illustration and sentence. On Day 4 she is doing the Bible Copybook. We've also managed to "squeeze" in the Read-Aloud edition here and there on the 4th and 5th day. I'm having a little trouble with the "create your own and describe your picture". She wants to write it by herself, no help from me. She has chosen to review the story and pick a sentence out and copy it. (What are your thoughts on this??) I've tried to "help" her with sentences and words she knows but she's a stubborn one. I've explained to her that we will form it together and I would write it so she could copy it, but she is preferring finding a sentence in the story.......

5) After she is done with the writing we head upstairs (the little two either continue playing or come upstairs - my DD 5 usually goes to his room and DD 3.5 wanders around, usually with my oldest and me. (she's quite good at answering her sister's questions!!) My DD 7 and I work through phonics, math and reading, recitations, catechism questions and poetry. (this takes maybe an hour??) I explain the math worksheets and phonics page. She does them by herself (about 20 min), while....

6) I work with DD5. He's an interesting one. He's currently participating in a study at Purdue university about how we process and learn language. A part of the process is an assessment. He is not finished yet, but the researcher tells me his scores are "quite high". I thought maybe he could do SC1 this year, and I'm sure he could have. However, I'm so glad we are working through SCC. The first few weeks were quite rough, but he is even doing the recitations without complaining now! it's been interesting teaching him to write, since we do the worksheet and he "gets it" I have added some sand drawing, writing on a chalkboard, etc, but for the most part he can write the letters being taught. He has made great progress on writing his name as well!- so much different than teaching his older sister!! We usually finish the basics with him in 30 mins or so.

7) I decided I need to get in my vigorous exercise....and the only time I can do it (due to child care hours at the gym) is at 11:30, so I'm just going with it. 30 mins is really about all I can handle, and the vigorous is quite important at this stage of mental health! :-) We have lunch and then there is usually still an activity to be done from either SC2 or SCC. It's been SOOOO beautiful we have been doing more outside play in the afternoons though. I know the activities will be handy on rainy/yucky days we have coming our way.

4 days for core work and the 5th day is available for review or doing some of the activities not completed earlier in the week.

It's running better than I expected. I had to ditch the "circle" time as well as exercise time. They weren't really "into it" and it was creating more headaches than the benefits I thought should happen. We get a lot done at the breakfast table, surprisingly! The afternoon outdoor play seems to be enough as well. My daughter can be extremely focused, if she is working by herself.

I am having trouble with my youngest. She's doing anything and everything to "get in trouble" - breaking older brother and sister's creations (blocks, legos, magna tiles, etc), taking their toys, etc. My older son doesn't want her in his room while I'm working with my older daughter (I can't blame him!!!)...so that is challenging. She goes to preschool 1x per week and I'm considering sending her more.......

The water coloring, music, activities has been a nice addition to our family. :-)

So that was the scheduling...

DD7's reading - that is progressing well. We still have the same "issues" but she is improving. She cognitively knows that rod is a short vowel and rode is a long vowel, but when reading the classical phonics lists, she almost always says the long vowel for the first word, but usually corrects herself. Words like "street" are exceptionally hard. She has to figure out the "str" sound and then remember that ee is a long sound. I have to almost always help her break those words up, or she just guesses 1000 wrong words.. I would say the triple blends and needing to remember if it is a long or short vowel are her biggest hurdles right now. Again, she "knows" which one is what, but when reading, it slows her down a bit. She team read Nate Great with hubby (they read each section 3x) and she started reading the Bible selections. I am impressed at how far she has come, in just the 5 weeks since we really got back into full swing school mood. She's also read all the red, blue, green and teal readers 3x each (we worked on those this summer). She's currently on the pink readers. The week of the long vowels, we did review FSR E, since she had completed those.

P.S. - someone explained the working memory issue to me like a computer screen. It is there and then suddenly, it might go blank...quite literally. It can be frustrating when we spend 4 days on something, she "gets it" is doing well and then 2 days later, it isn't there anymore....2 steps forward 3 steps back. I appreciate your suggestion for the testing. At least I know and it's easier to deal with! :-)

P.P.S - my daughter's drawings have also drastically improved. They probably look like what I would expect a 5 year old to do, but I wasn't sure we would ever progress there! :-) Last year, in FSR the manual specifically said "have your child fill the space" - that almost never happened. She's doing that a lot better now!! - The water color painting has been good for her ( a little frustrating, but good) - she's a perfectionist and gets mad when it doesn't look "perfect"....
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: SC2/SCC update!

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    Hi!

We are on week 5 of the curriculum guide, week 6 of our school year....

She team read Nate Great with hubby (they read each section 3x) and she started reading the Bible selections.

I am impressed at how far she has come, in just the 5 weeks since we really got back into full swing school mood.

Fabulous, Christine! Thank you so much for the update.

I have been feeling a bit like an expectant parent, ready to see how everyone is doing with the first several weeks of SC 2.

-Excellent creation of a steady routine, rather than a rigid schedule.
    -Good for you to include your own exercise. As you already figured out, this is a must-do! Having a mid-day deadline may even make the mornings more productive.
    -Set up something compelling and constructive for your youngest during the mornings, if possible.
    -Good for you to teach SC C with your son. I do not think you'll ever regret working through C this year before 1 next year. He will likely sail through SC 1 with really strong results, because you are giving him the proper phonological sound/symbol foundations now.

As for the writing, if your oldest would prefer to research a sentence, this is okay for now. We would like for her to compose her own sentence, but your daughter's eager research is good too! If she cannot find a sentence that is "just right," you can remind her, "We can create one!" If she persists wanting to find a ready-made sentence, then you can also set a deadline. Tell her that her school (isn't that what you told me she calls us?) says that by Week 12, she will write her own sentence in every lesson. Give her S/V prompts for this at first. "Mike Mulligan dug _____." "Gideon sounded a ____." Gradually decrease these to subject only. Set a goal that, perhaps, by Week 18 (second semester) she will compose one of her own sentences every lesson.

Thanks, again. This was a great report!

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

I have been feeling a bit like an expectant parent, ready to see how everyone is doing with the first several weeks of SC 2.

Cheryl

I am hoping others will chime in on this post! (or make their own!)

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

-Set up something compelling and constructive for your youngest during the mornings, if possible.

Cheryl
      I am open to suggestions, beyond the work bins. We have those. She is not thrilled. I'm sure I have just not found her "thing"....
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Today we are doing play dough.

Youngest - made 3 balls, Middle - 4 frogs. (though somewhere around 3 frogs, he got frustrated??) - Oldest, made the sh, th, wh, ch blends with play dough.

They are working on going on an hour with this.......(the older two). Youngest made it a solid 40 min though before she started throwing the play dough, stealing the others toys.......
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

If you can, anticipate when it will degenerate for your youngest, and intervene before it does.

Thirty minutes may be the limit, so at twenty-five, give the heads-up: "Five minutes until we will put away the playdough." Sometimes this helps them enjoy those last five minutes. Other times, they may just start putting things away early. Either way, you're not waiting until bad behavior indicates it is "too late." Instead, you are directing the flow of the day.

Quiet play ideas -- save these for the sacred School Time, so they retain their novelty and appeal:

Play Bins
          Rather than work bins, they can be School-Time play bins. Beforehand, remove some most-favored toys from play areas. As you find items online or at local stores, occasionally add them to the bins for School-Time surprises reserved just for her.

Related: If she currently has so many toys that they are either overwhelming or "boring" to her, then spend a weekend cleaning up. Her independent play time should be appealing, even enjoyable.

Big-Girl A/V Equipment
          Give her a child's size MP3, portable CD player, or other device she can operate reasonably well (on/off). Place the Child's Garden CD, lullabies, other calming music, or audio children's stories on the device. If there is no such device, then you start the music or book, and come back in 30 minutes.

Bin of Books
          Gather your least destructible books, such as board books in a rotating bin for looking through.

Puzzle Bins
          Give her wooden puzzles to assemble. Check after 30 minutes to see how many she completed.

Assembly/Imagination Toys
          Brio, train-tracks, tape-on-the-floor roads for matchbox car play, ... or doll house rooms and furniture for family play.

MagnaDoodle or Other Sketch Pad

Sticker Books
          This one is inexpensive. You would "save" it only for your School Time. Or, if she is not ready for the other, this looks promising.

One key: She'll need an undesirable consequence for any destructive behavior. Interrupting everyone's work is not acceptable.

With the above items, you're just trying to set her up for success, before this happens!

Another key: Days will never be perfect. Remain calm and wise. (Or at least regain calm, after not being calm and wise!) How you handle the "imperfections" will also teach. You want your youngest to be just as engaged as the older children. Everyone has a role. Hers needs to be a good, productive one, like the others', so good habits develop.

Comment

Yes, I had been thinking about some of the above items. She actually has zero toys in her room. I did try having her choose a bin to take to her room, but it only lasts 2 min..... So, after your note I asked her, "what toys would you like in your room!". She replied with a short list, but after each item she said "that are pretty, special and only mine"... Hmmmmmm, I think that is the key. I actually worked really hard for many years to make sure toys were enjoyable to all and to be shared. However, when my son turned 4, he somewhat randomly got "boy toys". THAT is when he finally started playing alone, for longer periods. My youngest does not really have anything that is "hers". Also, my older two have birthdays 9 days apart, so they just got some new toys.... I am guessing she feels a little left out there. It is something she will just have to deal with though! Her birthday is in Feb and the upside is she gets a party all to herself! Now, how to handle the problem without buying her stuff! Lol
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Here's our update at the end of week 6 of SC2...

At the end week one my kids totally balked at all of the re-reading of the stories. Comprehension isn't a struggle for them and the re-reading was too repetitive. So, I cut some of that back. On Monday we follow the guide as written. We re-read the read-aloud and Bible story on Wednesday and Friday (skipping these on Tuesday and Thursday).

We have fallen behind in cursive; we just finished week 4.

Spelling seems far to easy for my son and yet he struggled to spell the word 'bit' this week. It's like he's there one day and totally gone the next.

Behavior of the 8 year old is challenging. He is disruptive and non-compliant. My fear is hes becoming more physically aggressive, both with me and his younger sisters. Unfortunately, the younger ones are starting to mimick his foul attitude. Ugh. I thought that his behavior was just push back on starting back to school, but nearly 2 months in and he's still acting out irregardless of consequences. He actually laughed at being sat in time out this morning as if this were all a game.

Ive decided to have him tested because his behavior is not improving and it is having a huge negative impact on our family. My stress is high and I'm constantly on edge that he will explode at some trivial thing. He seems unwilling or unable to control his behavior. Continuously fighting him to attend to school is just overwhelming.

But, the cost is so high. Insurance won't cover it and the school district gave him a 5 minute reading assessment, not very productive. I asked about hardship grants at neuropsych and they said that none are offered.

So, some changes to the schedule, mostly still on track subject-wise, but seriously struggling with negative behavior.

Thought you might like to see his Illustrate page this week. He selected the sentence from the book and we re-wrote it shorter. He copied my written example. We went through the checklist and he self-corrected his lack of ending punctuation. We watched a video of the Wright brothers flight and he was fascinated, but couldn't understand why there was no talking or soundtrack. Haha.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1474667879958-2024652683.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	103951
              Last edited by Colomama; 09-23-2016, 05:04 PM.
              Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
              DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
              DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Hi, Colomama.

I'm so sorry to hear about the behavior. My son's behavioral issues became extremely disruptive to the family around age 9 (as in, Googling boarding schools for children with special needs). We received help through regular medical insurance when the pediatrician gave us a referral to a psychiatrist for possible "unspecified mood disorder." This was not related to educational testing, but was just for emotional/behavioral/mood issues. If you approached the physician regarding concerns for his unstable emotional/behavioral issues, rather than seeking a neuropsych evaluation for learning issues, maybe this would be a faster track to some help?

Have you tried here?

As for the rereading, I remember that you predicted exactly that response for your children. Unlike some others with more cognitive difficulties, yours may not need the repetition, especially if comprehension is adequate. Do exactly as you are doing.

Similarly, feel free to accelerate the spelling, as long as those errors are occasional. Is he spelling the sight words correctly too? If yes, you can cover two lessons per week and omit some of the multi-sensory tips. He may not need them. (Book Two will be available soon, if you accelerate Book One.) By omitting some of the re-reading and accelerating the spelling, this might free time for the cursive.

Eventually testing will be helpful in understanding exactly what is going on. For now, it seems behavior is the front-burner item.

Just mom-to-mom, not an official SC/MP endorsement, this program helped us tremendously when we were desperate. Sometimes the program is free. Currently it appears to have a cost but with a 60-day free return. We felt utterly helpless, despite my graduate degree in special ed and my husband's undergrad degree in counseling psych, J.D. law degree (in other words, he can think through problems!). It is different when it is 24/7 in your own home. I remember my husband saying all he wanted for Christmas that year was harmony in the family. It might be time for new "tools" to address behavior.

Comment

Oh, my goodness! I just saw your edit and .jpg of his SC Writing page. I LOVE his drawing! Thanks for posting this.

Fwiw, my son found great solace in drawing during his roughest times. We found a homeschooling artist who led classes. He did some amazing work through her. This might be a nice path to pursue for your son, at some point. In the meantime, he has plenty of drawing through SC/MP!

Thanks-
                  Cheryl

Comment

Yes, he's always loved to draw. His newest fascination is fish, so the fridge is covered with various fish drawings. He 'taxidermied' a fish by attaching one of his drawings to some sticks. It's taped to the living room wall. Haha.

One of my goals is to increase his art time. I bought a cheap vhs version of atelier art and my goal is 2 sessions a month. Small, attainable goals.

I had spoke with his pediatrician about learning issues in july. She literally had to research and call me back after our appt with how to get an educational assessment. Our town doesn't offer that resource, it would be over an hour away.

But, that's a good idea to take a different route, the behavioral route. The struggle is the small town aspect. The town doctor is literally the mom of one of our 6 cubscouts (I'm the den leader). I'm sure she'll be very professional and confidential, but it's still challenging.

My deep fear is that this is outside my parenting skills. I've exhausted all of my tips and tricks and I feel helpless to reach him. I don't see his behavior improving and he's getting too big to physically control if it comes to that. And the angst-ridden tween years are just around the corner.

This brings up an interesting chicken and the egg quandry. Which comes first educational struggles or behavioral issues? Up to this point I had thought that educational struggles caused the behavior issues, but now I'm starting to look at this from the opposite direction; does a behavior issue cause the educational struggle?

I will call the doctor next week to discuss this. Great idea

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

Our specialized services, especially psychiatry, are over an hour away too. We just try to turn the afternoons into outings in "the big city."

At least you and I have the benefits of small-town life the rest of the time. I have Missouri lakes and forests; you have beautiful Colorado mountains!

And ... as for fearing the future, let that be the driving motivation to turn this around. It was for me too. You are fully capable.

Don't give up. You're the parent. He's only 8. You just need some answers and good help.

Make some calls, and then find time to head for that quiet bookstore (or cafe) to refresh a little.

Keep us posted --

Cheryl

Comment

And Christine, have you discovered watercolor pencils and crayons? This is something new and very exciting in our house.

Gently and minimally color with the pencils or crayons and then add a wet paint brush. You can come back and add additional color tone or detail once the paper dries. This allows my kids more control of paint color and where it goes. You can even mix colors just like regular watercolor.

Fine paintbrushes are key. I bought 2 multi packs for $3 apiece at Michaels.

We've completed:

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                          And Christine, have you discovered watercolor pencils and crayons? This is something new and very exciting in our house.

Gently and minimally color with the pencils or crayons and then add a wet paint brush. You can come back and add additional color tone or detail once the paper dries. This allows my kids more control of paint color and where it goes. You can even mix colors just like regular watercolor.

Fine paintbrushes are key. I bought 2 multi packs for $3 apiece at Michaels.
                          I have had these in my literal and virtual carts many times, but always put them back because I wasn't exactly sure how to use them! LOL I'm thinking they may make good stocking stuffers though!

One of the reasons I wanted to fully do SC C is because of my OLDeST! The water color activity has been the most challenging for her, and very beneficial. It isn't quite the beautiful afternoon with classical music playing and the children sitting quietly, but she (and I) are learning and it is so good for us! The having to actually paint something is the challenge. One day, when we were past the drama of having to actually paint something, the music was playing, the children were super quite, enjoying the water colors and my husband came home. He said "that looks nice". *sigh* I'll take the moments when I can! :-)
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I'm not sure how/where to reply to the conversation between Michelle (Colomama) and Cheryl!

Michelle, thanks for the update on how things are going over there! I thought my daughter would baulk at re-reading everything, but to my surprise has not! I do think, for her it is necessary. I read the Bible the first day, she helps me read, or reads the following days. I even have re-read all the read-alouds, as scheduled, in level 2. We just finished Nate the Grate, team reading that one. We have been repeating that one 3x. My son doesn't quite need the same, so we aren't re-reading everything there. My girls sometimes are present for his stories, but not always.

Cheryl, I must confess, at one point I almost asked you on the forum "you never talk about your son". I thought better of it and didn't say anything, but instead scoured your book and found the answer. You were specific that Michelle actually requested for people to know her story, and that is why she is spoken of more. I was relieved that your son was still with us! I appreciate what you do share about your son, because it is so encouraging, knowing where you were, and where you are now. (Your talk at Sodalitas was enlightening!)

Michelle, the evaluation has really been a life changer, seriously. The difference in teaching my slightly resistant son, to my actually eager daughter is night and day. (that may sound confusing. My oldest actually liked the school and sit down work, but had challenges actually doing the work. My son doesn't necessarily want to do the work, but is moving though the material nicely, and even doing it, with minimal complaint, a few weeks in!) I don't think if I would have the evaluation, I would have "enjoyed" SC2 as much as we are. I would have wanted to skip all the repetitiveness and just get on with it! It's really frustrating when one day she is reading the Bible stories (fairly fluently!) and then the next day struggles through switching between long vowels and short vowels......It would have been SO much more frustrating without the evaluation! Good luck!!
                            Christine

(2019/2020)
                            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Colomama,

Our son was aggressive and explosive at that same age. I was constantly looking forward to the future, where I could only see it getting worse, because it was getting worse at the time.

What changed for our son was growing in his faith. With the help of a very kind pastor, our son made his first confession in third grade and first communion in fourth grade. Around age 10 or so, he really began to understand that his actions have consequences for other people and also could harm him spiritually.

Sending prayers your way--
                              Catherine

2019-20
                              DS16, 10th with MPOA
                              DS14, 7th
                              DS13, 6th
                              DD13, 6th
                              DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
                              DD4, JrK
                              DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
                              2 in classical school