Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Simply Classical Writing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Classical Writing

This is my "long time lurker, first time poster" post. I am looking at Simply Classical for my youngest (6yo boy) who has mixed receptive/expressive language delays, possibly ASD (working on getting all the evals but I'm confident he will get an ASD diagnosis), and he has an incredible memory. I have been looking at SC for awhile, even purchased Level 1 used at one point, but I think with him no "all in one" curriculum will be a good fit, no matter how much I can customize it (he is pretty advanced in many areas). With that being said, I am really liking the looks of SC writing. It looks like it would meet him right where he is at the moment. Can SC Writing be used as a stand alone subject? Would it make sense to use only the Writing and maybe Story Time Treasures(since comprehension is difficult for him), or are the SC packages too tightly integrated to only use a couple of subjects? We focused on phonics/reading and math last year, and he tagged along with his older brother for science and geography. That worked really well, but I feel like it's time to start adding more language arts to his schooling and this is going to be an area of struggle for him. This is the one area where he would greatly benefit from the gentleness of the SC program. I feel like I could keep rambling on as I'm trying to think everything through, but I will leave my questions as they are at the moment. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Re: Simply Classical Writing

If you want Storytime and Writing, there is a separate reading and writing plan!

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...plans-subject/

If you scroll to the bottom, under special needs, you will see it as an item for SC2.

We love the writing! Do you think you would want to do the read-aloud edition or Bible? If you went the Bible route, you might consider the Copy book and Bible plans as well. Then it does double duty, because you read from the Bible and on the last day you draw a picture (comprehension/narration) about what you read and write 1 sentence. It's the same for the Read-aloud though. If you wanted the comprehension component though, the Bible might be more cost effective, if you don't own or can't find the read aloud books from the library.

You have quite a bit of language arts in the reading and the writing. How's his spelling and reading?

Add your own math, etc and you are pretty set if you have other areas you do with him as a family covered!
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Welcome!

Yes, you can teach from only Simply Classical Writing and Simply Classical StoryTime Treasures. Just purchase the accompanying book sets - Writing book set here, StoryTime book set here - or obtain only the books missing from your own collection at home. You will find the complete book list of read-alouds through the link.

You may notice that our book sets are developmentally appropriate for his age and social maturity. Sometimes people fall to the temptation of reading books far above the child's emotional level when the child is very bright, asynchronous, or "twice exceptional," but these SC books will give him a wonderful set of children's literature, just right for his age to encourage healthy social and literary development.

If you need Simply Classical Spelling, you could add that program too. Largely an aural/oral program, this beginning spelling program teaches 9 key phonetic patterns and semantic categories along with the spelling of 72 common and sight words.

These three (or the first two, plus your own simple spelling exercises) would give him a good language arts program.

Feel free to follow up if you have any questions. We're glad you emerged from lurking!

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Comment

Thank you both for the great replies! I am definitely considering adding the SC spelling to my plan. My son is very, very visual and I think spelling will actually be easy for him, as he memorizes words with only seeing them once. Now, putting those words together to make a simple sentence is a completely different story (asynchronous is an understatement with this kid). I am really feeling good about moving forward with using SC Writing and Storytime Treasures after reading your comments. I was originally leaning towards using the Bible version for writing, but after looking at the books for the Read Aloud version, I'm leaning towards that one now. We have several of those books and my kids really enjoy them. Even my 8 year old will stop what he's doing and listen when I am reading picture books to his little brother.

Thank you so much for helping me piece together this puzzle of teaching my little guy!

Comment

Working...
        X